Team for Southern Kings

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Team for Southern Kings

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I think that people think Luke is a bad kicker because Stuart Barnes said so...I don't remember hearing about it until he mentioned it...
Luke isn't a bad kicker, but he did have at least two poor kicks against SCK on Tuesday; it's not as though he had ten other belters, so his success rate was low. What's Barnes supposed to do, not mention it? He's the commentator, he commentates on what players do during the game. Frankly, anyone can tell that Barnes rates Fitz and is generally favourable to him. He quite clearly doesn't have a negative agenda against him in any case.

All this conspiracy theory "Sky/the English media/HSBC/the Moonies pick the team" nonsense is really beginning to grate.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

hugonaut wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I think that people think Luke is a bad kicker because Stuart Barnes said so...I don't remember hearing about it until he mentioned it...
Luke isn't a bad kicker, but he did have at least two poor kicks against SCK on Tuesday; it's not as though he had ten other belters, so his success rate was low. What's Barnes supposed to do, not mention it? He's the commentator, he commentates on what players do during the game. Frankly, anyone can tell that Barnes rates Fitz and is generally favourable to him. He quite clearly doesn't have a negative agenda against him in any case.

All this conspiracy theory "Sky/the English media/HSBC/the Moonies pick the team" nonsense is really beginning to grate.
Agreed. It's even more laughable to think a Lions great like McGeechan would pick a team based on what Sky want, and basically an insult to him.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

hugonaut wrote:

Sorry what??? You've completely got the wrong end of the stick here. I wasn't having a go at Stuart Barnes and I wasn't lending any weight to a conspiracy theory. My point was that some posters on this thread have gotten the impression that Luke is a bad kicker and in my view it stems simply from Barnes mentioning that he has a tendency to slice his kicks because before the game and before Barnes said it I've never heard anyone say anything like that on this forum or indeed anywhere else.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

downsouthdukin wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:
orfeo wrote:
Have to agree with you Dublinner. Why so many are willing him to fail is beyond me .He has come back from a nightmare start in game 1,in which it now turns out he sustained an injury early on to a point in this game where he was a real counter attacing threat .Of course he is not the finished article - who is at 20 ? and to say as Danthefan does that he is not 'an international centre ' is just laughable , he clearly is, the question is how good. A small wager says he makes the test 22 before the tour is out
People are not willing him to fail. Get over yourselves, just making valid criticisms about his abilities is not willing him to fail. As demonstrated, Earls is not the greatest kicker of the ball. Drico has only managed to become a semi-decent kicker in the last five years and he is the best player in his position in the world.
kicking is not one of weaknesses. your basing that on a few wayward kicks in the last game. you could say that about fitz but i know fitz is well able to kick a ball as is earls..
bod kicking was atrocious but has improved alot in recent years(he didnt need to kick as he was so good with ballin hand) but as he has slowed a little he has had to add it to his game and showing what a quality player he is he has done it brilliantly. he still hasnt the ability to kick the big range finders, he tends to keep em low and tends to do them at the right time.
I see the wonderful kicking earls had another great game with the boot against the emerging boks....NNNNNOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

hugonaut wrote:All this conspiracy theory "Sky/the English media/HSBC/the Moonies pick the team" nonsense is really beginning to grate.
The media *does* affect team selection though, in much the same way a home team crowd can sway a ref in their favour. When enough people are saying you are wrong to pick A, you should be picking B, the coaches will doubt themselves, its human nature
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

Isaac4leinster wrote:
downsouthdukin wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:

People are not willing him to fail. Get over yourselves, just making valid criticisms about his abilities is not willing him to fail. As demonstrated, Earls is not the greatest kicker of the ball. Drico has only managed to become a semi-decent kicker in the last five years and he is the best player in his position in the world.
kicking is not one of weaknesses. your basing that on a few wayward kicks in the last game. you could say that about fitz but i know fitz is well able to kick a ball as is earls..
bod kicking was atrocious but has improved alot in recent years(he didnt need to kick as he was so good with ballin hand) but as he has slowed a little he has had to add it to his game and showing what a quality player he is he has done it brilliantly. he still hasnt the ability to kick the big range finders, he tends to keep em low and tends to do them at the right time.
I see the wonderful kicking earls had another great game with the boot against the emerging boks....NNNNNOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!

sorry for the late reply but i thought his kicking was sound. what planet are you on!!
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.