Based on games to date - Test team

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Based on games to date - Test team

Post by Oldschool »

Haven't seen many of the games -
Who would be your test team and subs
(I'm entering a competion and your undoubted opinion and expertise would be appreciated)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Re: Based on games to date - Test team

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Oldschool wrote:Haven't seen many of the games -
Who would be your test team and subs
(I'm entering a competion and your undoubted opinion and expertise would be appreciated)
Its pretty much picks itself:

This would be my team, though I realise Murray is playing tommorrow which more or less rules him out:

Byrne, Tommy, BOD, Roberts, Monye, Jones, Philips, Heaslip, Wallace, Croft, Jones, O'Connell, Murray, Mears, Jenkins
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Yeah, that'd be my selection too. If they had another couple of games before the test it would have been worth trying Wallace at 6 with Williams at 7 cos they're both playing well and nobody has really put their hand up for blindside. Williams was very good the other night but with Croft at 6 they'll need Wally's power at 7.
We're all red on the inside.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Munsterboy wrote:Yeah, that'd be my selection too. If they had another couple of games before the test it would have been worth trying Wallace at 6 with Williams at 7 cos they're both playing well and nobody has really put their hand up for blindside. Williams was very good the other night but with Croft at 6 they'll need Wally's power at 7.
I too thought this that nobody put their hand up for blindside and that Wally might end up there. May happen later on, Croft will need to have a big game.
skibb

Post by skibb »

Most likely team based on what we've seen to date
First XV
Jenkins, Mears, Vickery, AW Jones, O'Connell, Croft, Wallace, Heaslip, Phillips, S Williams, Monye, Roberts, O'Driscoll, Bowe, Byrne.

Bench

A Jones, Rees, Hines, M Williams, Ellis, O'Gara, Kearney
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

Not sure if shane williams would be a great out half !
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

RoboProp wrote:
Munsterboy wrote:Yeah, that'd be my selection too. If they had another couple of games before the test it would have been worth trying Wallace at 6 with Williams at 7 cos they're both playing well and nobody has really put their hand up for blindside. Williams was very good the other night but with Croft at 6 they'll need Wally's power at 7.
I too thought this that nobody put their hand up for blindside and that Wally might end up there. May happen later on, Croft will need to have a big game.
I think Croft will start the opening game and be blown away with someone else called in after that. He had a decent opening game but take out his try and was he really that impressive? He's done nothing really since then. I've been disappointed with him as I expected him to build on his first match and improve from there. The exact opposite has happened. Wallace could well end up at 6 before the tour is through.

I expect there to be significant changes to the team as the test series progresses. The second row partnership and back row could see different combos in each game.
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

Here's the team I think will be picked (Not quite the team I would pick):

15. Byrne
14. Bowe
13. BOD
12. Roberts
11. Monye
10. S Jones
9. Phillips
8. Heaslip
7. M Williams
6. Croft
5. POC
4. AW Jones
3. Vickery
2. Mears
1. Jenkins

Subs:
16. Ford
17. A Jones
18. Hines
19. Wallace
20. Ellis
21. ROG
22. Fitzgerald

I'd have ROG, Wally (at 6 instead of Croft) and Fitzgerald starting but I just think the coaches will go with this team.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

dipper wrote:Here's the team I think will be picked (Not quite the team I would pick):

15. Byrne
14. Bowe
13. BOD
12. Roberts
11. Monye
10. S Jones
9. Phillips
8. Heaslip
7. M Williams
6. Croft
5. POC
4. AW Jones
3. Vickery
2. Mears
1. Jenkins

Subs:
16. Ford
17. A Jones
18. Hines
19. Wallace
20. Ellis
21. ROG
22. Fitzgerald

I'd have ROG, Wally (at 6 instead of Croft) and Fitzgerald starting but I just think the coaches will go with this team.
I agree with you here. It's strange to think that Ireland just won the grand slam, and we have the best two provincial teams in Europe, but it is very possible that there will only be four Irish starters on the team.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

My team for what it's worth would be,

Byrne, Bowe, BOD, Roberts, Monye, Jones, Philips, Heaslip, Williams, Wallace Jones, O'Connell, Vickery, Mears, Jenkins

If Flannery and Ferris were still around they would have started

Kearney & O'Gara for the bench but I would have Darcy in the 22 as well

Usually there is a suprise in the team so we will have to wait till 12.30 to find out!
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Armchair wrote:My team for what it's worth would be,

Byrne, Bowe, BOD, Roberts, Monye, Jones, Philips, Heaslip, Williams, Wallace Jones, O'Connell, Vickery, Mears, Jenkins

If Flannery and Ferris were still around they would have started

Kearney & O'Gara for the bench but I would have Darcy in the 22 as well

Usually there is a suprise in the team so we will have to wait till 12.30 to find out!
I think you're spot on there with the team.

Feel for Fitz as I don't think he's been given a fair go.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.