Lions Team for 1st Test

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

tones
Shane Jennings

Re: Lions Team for 1st Test

Post by tones »

jezzer wrote:Ferris, Shanklin, O'Leary, Fla and Halfpenny are massive losses when you look at it...
Yep no getting away from it. Ferris in my opinion is key.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dipper wrote:
jezzer wrote:Ferris, Shanklin, O'Leary, Fla and Halfpenny are massive losses when you look at it...
Yeah Ferris and Flannery would both have made that team. Happy to see Rob there but it is at Luke's expense unfortunately.
I would have had O'Leary in the XXII ahead of Ellis.
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

dipper wrote:
jezzer wrote:
Yeah Ferris and Flannery would both have made that team. Happy to see Rob there but it is at Luke's expense unfortunately.
I agree with that. It's an awful shame about the injuries to the Irish lads. Matthew Rees and Harry Ellis on the bench won't scare anyone!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dipper wrote:
dipper wrote:
jezzer wrote:
I agree with that. It's an awful shame about the injuries to the Irish lads. Matthew Rees and Harry Ellis on the bench won't scare anyone!
They make me nervous.

Ellis I can understand because there was a lack of alternatives. But Rory Best must really be scratching his head.

One thing this Lions tour has shown is just how good Jenkins and A Jones are. They really carry Rees and make him look a lot better.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

No major surprises in the team. Wishing we hadn't lost Ferris, Flannery and O'Leary along the way - they're going to be missed. And I have mixed emotions about that bench - delighted to see Rob there, but gutted that Luke has missed out. I don't think he really got a fair shot to show what he can do.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Yeah Ferris and Flannery would both have made that team. Happy to see Rob there but it is at Luke's expense unfortunately.[/quote]

I would have had O'Leary in the XXII ahead of Ellis.[/quote]

I agree with that. It's an awful shame about the injuries to the Irish lads. Matthew Rees and Harry Ellis on the bench won't scare anyone![/quote]

They make me nervous.

Ellis I can understand because there was a lack of alternatives. But Rory Best must really be scratching his head.

One thing this Lions tour has shown is just how good Jenkins and A Jones are. They really carry Rees and make him look a lot better.[/quote]
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
leinsterlank
Knowledgeable

Post by leinsterlank »

Ugo monye is a disaster waiting to happen!Luke should be there! injuries have picked this team.
"It feels great. I've played for the team for 10 years and it was worth the wait. I love Leinster and I wanted to do it before the end of my career."

- BOD, Heineken Cup and Grand Slam Winner 2009
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote:I don't get the complaining about Croft's selection. There are 3 players out of the tour in his position. He's a better option than Worsley and has been in form.

Sure he's lightweight, but it's not like we have a choice (any more).
I'm not sure that people are complaining about his selection because from the players who are there he's really the only option but that doesn't change the fact that he's a weakness (or at least he's a weakness imo).
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
ronk wrote:I don't get the complaining about Croft's selection. There are 3 players out of the tour in his position. He's a better option than Worsley and has been in form.

Sure he's lightweight, but it's not like we have a choice (any more).
I'm not sure that people are complaining about his selection because from the players who are there he's really the only option but that doesn't change the fact that he's a weakness (or at least he's a weakness imo).
I only see Croft as a potential weakness. I worry about him but I know that he's capable of coming up with a big play or having a good game. He's a little lightweight but he's not work-shy or afraid to tackle and he gets low at ruck time.

You could certainly see earlier in the tour that he was trying to put himself about a bit and show his presence. He has a lot to play for, if we win and all goes well for him then he's an instant superstar. He's a young lad who's still developing, if he can add bone crushing tackles and carries over the gain-line into traffic then he's going to be some serious player.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

luke will be dissapointed, he's better than monye, other than that its a solid enough selection although DOC shouldn't be there
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

true blue 06 wrote:luke will be dissapointed, he's better than monye, other than that its a solid enough selection
It's not over for Luke. He was a close selection and he's got another chance to stake a claim on Tuesday.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

true blue 06 wrote:luke will be dissapointed, he's better than monye, other than that its a solid enough selection although DOC shouldn't be there
Why? Had the highest work rate out of the locks. Wasn't hanging out in the midfield hoping to be seen. He was making the highest number of tackles of any lock, getting stuck in supporting the ball carrier and working in the tight. Has easily overshadowed Shaw and Hines in the past 2 matches.
red49
Knowledgeable

Post by red49 »

true blue 06 wrote:luke will be dissapointed, he's better than monye, other than that its a solid enough selection although DOC shouldn't be there
would have to agree with you,doc shouldnt be on the bench,he should be starting
Retired
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

ronk wrote:
true blue 06 wrote:luke will be dissapointed, he's better than monye, other than that its a solid enough selection
It's not over for Luke. He was a close selection and he's got another chance to stake a claim on Tuesday.
if we wanted someone to kick badly and over run passes then he'd be a shoe in. I won't ask you how many Lions games you have seen this year as its already clear
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

sewa wrote:
ronk wrote:
if we wanted someone to kick badly and over run passes then he'd be a shoe in. I won't ask you how many Lions games you have seen this year as its already clear
The same amount as you?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sewa wrote:
ronk wrote:
Tell me about it, he made Earls look like an idiot with that supporting line to butcher that golden chance 22 mins in against the Southern Kings. Fecking egg ended up going 5m forward :roll:

Monye is playing well but he's had most of his tries handed to him on a silver platter. He backed off on O'Gara's crossfield kick because he wasn't confident enough on the high ball but was fortunate to get another bite at the cherry.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

lads its only the first test, if monye doesnt play well, Luke will be in.

if Lee Byrne has a catastrophic game, the same goes for Kearney.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

ronk wrote:
sewa wrote:

Tell me about it, he made Earls look like an idiot with that supporting line to butcher that golden chance 22 mins in against the Southern Kings. Fecking egg ended up going 5m forward :roll:

Monye is playing well but he's had most of his tries handed to him on a silver platter. He backed off on O'Gara's crossfield kick because he wasn't confident enough on the high ball but was fortunate to get another bite at the cherry.
Monye has made a bigger impression than Luke on the tour so far so that's why he's in there. Luke's over runs were very obvious to all of us and probably ruined his chances of making the test team. His chances of making the team for the 2nd and 3rd tests are not over though.

Monye's very quick in a straight line but he doesn't appear to be elusive and looks awkward with the boot. He looks like the weak link in the back line and I can see the Springboks targeting him with some kicks. He could be found out but maybe he'll prove me wrong.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

sewa wrote:
ronk wrote:
Who's ''we" sewer? I can distinctly remember at the start of the season you saying something like 'Ireland can go f%~k themselves', so you don't support your country yet you support the Lions? Strange.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

I wouldn't get too worked up over Fitz. He and Earls are both more talented footballers than Monye but neither took their chance (and they both did get enough game time to show what they could do).

Monye is a fairly average footballer but he played to his strengths and was maybe a bit lucky not to have his weaknesses exposed thus far.

Delighted for the rest of the Irish lads. Particularly glad Geech and co recognise the value of a grafter like DOC. He doesn't do the flash stuff but puts in a huge amount of work to complement the likes of POC/AWJ. If things get rough, he's a good option to bring in to take on the likes of Botha. Excellent tan too.
We're all red on the inside.