Lions Team for 1st Test

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

true blue 06
Mullet

Re: Lions Team for 1st Test

Post by true blue 06 »

i just think both hines and shaw are better players than... geech bangs on about how everyone has been given a chance.. someone like DOC was, been able to call nearly every lineout to yourself in a dominant set piece in one game and playing well as captain in last weeks game came across well, i still don't think he's as able as the other two. geech hasn't given luke a chance in this tour, compared to say shane williams who was given every chance! he was on everyones starting line up's going into it. obviously because leinster are european champions he wasn't aloud play the first game, he was sick for the second then when he finally got his chance he was played at centre... for anyone who watches leinster week in week out should know luke is a world class centre not a wing. monye has looked sharp enough though, but is nowhere as good as luke under a high ball...check out johno's cross field to luke on blue saturday
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Fitz has played 3 games - two at wing and one in the centre. Sure, he hasn't had as many games as Shane Williams, but it's not Williams that's ahead of him in the test team, is it? Nor, with all respect to Luke, is he the current IRB Player of the Year. Williams was awesome last year, and the management wanted to give him every chance to recover that form, which is fair enough in my book. He hasn't, and they haven't picked him for the test.

Fitz had a tough day against the Cheetahs at centre, but did well enough at wing in the other matches. The selectors have said themselves it was a tight call [source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... first-test ] and it's a three test series. Monye has gone well on tour and just edged him out for the first test - fair play to him. He's done pretty much everything right so far: scored tries, made his tackles, gone looking for work, been strong in contact.

The tour certainly isn't over for Luke by any means, but if you think his form so far demands inclusion on the starting XV for the first test, I disagree. It was a tight call, and he lost this time out.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Who's ''we" sewer? I can distinctly remember at the start of the season you saying something like 'Ireland can go f%~k themselves', so you don't support your country yet you support the Lions? Strange.[/quote]

As someone who works with engineers every day I realise the difficulties they often have with language. Context is everything but if you really try over time talking to normal people may give you an understanding.
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sewa wrote:Who's ''we" sewer? I can distinctly remember at the start of the season you saying something like 'Ireland can go f%~k themselves', so you don't support your country yet you support the Lions? Strange.
As someone who works with engineers every day I realise the difficulties they often have with language. Context is everything but if you really try over time talking to normal people may give you an understanding.[/quote]

So what's your excuse?
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

ronk wrote:
sewa wrote:Who's ''we" sewer? I can distinctly remember at the start of the season you saying something like 'Ireland can go f%~k themselves', so you don't support your country yet you support the Lions? Strange.
As someone who works with engineers every day I realise the difficulties they often have with language. Context is everything but if you really try over time talking to normal people may give you an understanding.
So what's your excuse?[/quote]

He decided to support Ireland again in the context that they we won the Slam.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Danthefan wrote:
ronk wrote:
So what's your excuse?
He decided to support Ireland again in the context that they we won the Slam.[/quote]

Thats the context of my "orginal" post which allegedly was made at the start of last season? English will be a requirement of most jobs so try keep up.
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Danthefan wrote:
He decided to support Ireland again in the context that they we won the Slam.
You wouldn't be insinuating that a(n individual) Munster fan might be a glory-hunter? :o

I personally doubt that any of the marginal selection calls will really be that relevant. There are too many other things going on that affect a performance rather than focusing on closely matched players.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:
So what's your excuse?[/quote]
I never had a problem working with engineers - It was all the other gobsh!tes I had difficulties with!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.