Lions Vs SA - First Test Predictions

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

What will the result be on Saturday

South Africa Victory
44%
Draw
No votes
Lions Victory
56%

Total votes: 39

simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Lions Vs SA - First Test Predictions

Post by simonno6 »

Right, get the predictions in - I really cant see the lions getting anywhere near south africa.

30-12 South Africa victory.
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
shezba
Learner

Re: Lions Vs SA - First Test Predictions

Post by shezba »

I think the Lions will win 25-16. This is a really bad sign though because I normally have Hook (George not James) levels of accuracy.
Who the fock was that??? Is that the focking guy who is in charge of the money???
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

35-25 to the Boks
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

ooooohhh.... they're a few high scores already.
Is it not more likely to be a low scoring first game, two tries- one try sort of range with little more than a single score in it at the end.

I'm going 21 - 16 to the Lions.

A quick look at their results will show that at best, it has been up-and-down in the last 12 months.
I was fortunate enough to be in Newlands last August for Percy's 100th cap v NZ and they so bad it was simply untrue. They didn't get a sniff.

It's no write-off yet.

For ease of reference...... Their results.

Jun 21, 2008 Italy tour South Africa 26 - 0 Italy
Jul 5, 2008 Tri Nations / Freedom Cup New Zealand 19 - 8 South Africa
Jul 12, 2008 Tri Nations / Freedom Cup New Zealand 28 - 30 South Africa
Jul 19, 2008 Tri Nations / Mandela Challenge Plate Australia 16 - 9 South Africa
Aug 9, 2008 Argentina tour South Africa 63 - 9 Argentina
Aug 16, 2008 Tri Nations / Freedom Cup South Africa 0 - 19 New Zealand
Aug 23, 2008 Tri Nations / Mandela Challenge Plate South Africa 15 - 27 Australia
Aug 30, 2008 Tri Nations / Mandela Challenge Plate South Africa 53 - 8 Australia
Nov 8, 2008 Prince William Cup / South Africa tour Wales 15 - 20 South Africa
Nov 15, 2008 South Africa tour Scotland 10 - 14 South Africa
Nov 22, 2008 South Africa tour England 6 - 42 South Africa
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I think the Lions will win the first test for two main reasons.
1. It's at sea level.
2. SA are over rated (Remember they beat England in the Final and struggled even at that - Without Oz Du Randt they would not be the WCs) and the real world chamlions are in NZ.
SA will win the second test at altitude and if the Lions selectors have been really cute, the Lions win the last test.
By cute selection, i mean resting most of the test team for the second test, so that they are really fresh and fully acclimatised to the altitude for the third test. A gamble well worth taking and the mid week team would be fresh.
This of course won't happen so the Lions will lose the series.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Before Ferris went down with injury I was optimistic. He looked like a one man wrecking crew. I think the Lions will still shade it. I'm thinking 17-14. I'm useless at predicting scores though.

The Saffers backrow does look immense though. They could swing it for them.
LCD_Blue
Bookworm

Post by LCD_Blue »

18-6 Lions win game one but not sure about them winning another game.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Best chance of a Lions win is to replicate 1997 (or more like best Lions chance is for the Boks to make a mess of it). The Springboks will score more tries, a la '97, but it's whether the Boks will have a kicking meltdown again, this time with Ruan Pienaar.

I think the Lions will get very few scoring chances, if any, and will be hosed everywhere bar the score board. Tight in the scrums, better in the line out than anyone expects, and Stephen Jones to control things beautifully at 10. Won't be enough for a win though...

South Africa 19
Lions 15
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

SA to win by a good bit.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Lions to win due to the boks missing their kicks.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

Lions must win this game at sea level. Lions to win 23-21.
BIG DAN
Bookworm

Post by BIG DAN »

Lions win 19-17
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Oldschool wrote:I think the Lions will win the first test for two main reasons.
1. It's at sea level.
2. SA are over rated (Remember they beat England in the Final and struggled even at that - Without Oz Du Randt they would not be the WCs) and the real world chamlions are in NZ.
SA will win the second test at altitude and if the Lions selectors have been really cute, the Lions win the last test.
By cute selection, i mean resting most of the test team for the second test, so that they are really fresh and fully acclimatised to the altitude for the third test. A gamble well worth taking and the mid week team would be fresh.
This of course won't happen so the Lions will lose the series.
Agree with some of this. I think Lions will win the first test, and I'm starting to think more and more that SA are over-rated. France or NZ would have beaten the Boks in the World Cup I reckon.

However... The Lions have the least chance of winning the third test. The Boks have never lost that game in Jo-burg since the Lions began. Also, they'll be fairly fresh no matter what - they haven't played in what, 5/6 weeks? There is another reason we might win - they are rusty.

We need to go for every game. I think we'll win the first, but I don't know about the rest.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I'm sorry guys, but I don't understand the Bok bashing going on here...
CiaranIrl wrote: Agree with some of this. I think Lions will win the first test, and I'm starting to think more and more that SA are over-rated. France or NZ would have beaten the Boks in the World Cup I reckon.
and
Oldschool wrote: 2. SA are over rated (Remember they beat England in the Final and struggled even at that - Without Oz Du Randt they would not be the WCs) and the real world chamlions are in NZ.
If I said people on a rugby Forum were writing stuff like this about Leinster ("Clermont are the real European champions" and "Stade Francais or the Ospreys would have beaten them") there would be untold uproar on this site. South Africa are Rugby World Cup champions and their best provincial side, the Blue Bulls, are the best club side in the world. They barely beat England in the Final? Should they apologise for the fact that a World Cup Final was won by only 9 points? Did you really think it would be a 36-0 drubbing again? And, the Boks beat the side (twice) who knocked France out of the world cup. They also stuffed an Argie side who then hammered France. What makes you think a ramshackle XV (France) with just one decent performance would have beaten the Boks? And New Zealand aren't the 'real' World Champions. They didn't win it, and that's all that counts.

Besides, what has that got to do with Saturday? The best of 4 nations are coming together to play little old South Africa..... they should thrash the Springboks then I suppose
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Springboks by a country mile.
this lions tour is cursed! How many injuries? how many late drafts? The Boks will run away with this and all the tests I reckon. Prefer to be wrong and see a (leinster heavy) lions side win but I dont see it happening. :(
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

suisse wrote:I'm sorry guys, but I don't understand the Bok bashing going on here...
CiaranIrl wrote: Agree with some of this. I think Lions will win the first test, and I'm starting to think more and more that SA are over-rated. France or NZ would have beaten the Boks in the World Cup I reckon.
and
Oldschool wrote: 2. SA are over rated (Remember they beat England in the Final and struggled even at that - Without Oz Du Randt they would not be the WCs) and the real world chamlions are in NZ.
If I said people on a rugby Forum were writing stuff like this about Leinster ("Clermont are the real European champions" and "Stade Francais or the Ospreys would have beaten them") there would be untold uproar on this site. South Africa are Rugby World Cup champions and their best provincial side, the Blue Bulls, are the best club side in the world. They barely beat England in the Final? Should they apologise for the fact that a World Cup Final was won by only 9 points? Did you really think it would be a 36-0 drubbing again? And, the Boks beat the side (twice) who knocked France out of the world cup. They also stuffed an Argie side who then hammered France. What makes you think a ramshackle XV (France) with just one decent performance would have beaten the Boks? And New Zealand aren't the 'real' World Champions. They didn't win it, and that's all that counts.

Besides, what has that got to do with Saturday? The best of 4 nations are coming together to play little old South Africa..... they should thrash the Springboks then I suppose
I don't get it either and lets not forget that they won the WC without De Villiers or Spies.Apart from Habana not being in the form that he was then and the props not being as good in the scrum I actually think they've improved overall.

Some people have said that the Boks will be rusty which may well happen but I remember the last time I thought that was 2004 when Ireland went down there for 2 tests with real hopes of winning at least one but SA came flying out of the traps and destroyed us.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

boks by 20
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

suisse wrote:If I said people on a rugby Forum were writing stuff like this about Leinster ("Clermont are the real European champions" and "Stade Francais or the Ospreys would have beaten them") there would be untold uproar on this site. South Africa are Rugby World Cup champions and their best provincial side, the Blue Bulls, are the best club side in the world. They barely beat England in the Final? Should they apologise for the fact that a World Cup Final was won by only 9 points? Did you really think it would be a 36-0 drubbing again? And, the Boks beat the side (twice) who knocked France out of the world cup. They also stuffed an Argie side who then hammered France. What makes you think a ramshackle XV (France) with just one decent performance would have beaten the Boks? And New Zealand aren't the 'real' World Champions. They didn't win it, and that's all that counts.

There are years when the best side doesn't win the tournament. That happens in every sport. The Bulls were without a doubt the best super 14 team, yes. But with us, remember back during the year when commentators heaped praise on the manner of the victory? We had to beat Leicester and Munster and we had a game from hell in beating the Quins. That way we felt like we deserved it even more. I did anyway.

Look at the run of results (from above) in their last games. It is good, but not untouchable. I think they are favourites, fair enough. I just think we have a good chance in the first test. You can be damn sure that if we get hammered, I'm not going to regret having had hope and wish I had gone into the game feeling more cynical and bitter.

Jul 19, 2008 Tri Nations / Mandela Challenge Plate Australia 16 - 9 South Africa
Aug 23, 2008 Tri Nations / Mandela Challenge Plate South Africa 15 - 27 Australia
Aug 30, 2008 Tri Nations / Mandela Challenge Plate South Africa 53 - 8 Australia
Nov 22, 2008 South Africa tour England 6 - 42 South Africa
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Look at the run of results (from above) in their last games.
It is good, but not untouchable. I think they are favourites, fair enough. I just think we have a good chance in the first test.

Nov 22, 2008 South Africa tour England 6 - 42 South Africa[/quote]

Even the Boks themselves were amazed when they reversed the previous weeks fixture against NZ last July but they were truly awful in Cape Town.
I'd like to think that there are good reasons for hope on this first test..... PP Bookies have the Boks with an 8 point start which is generous enough if the lions weren't to win. If Tommy does the honours with a try there's some refund options....... Might just be havin' a little of that.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
ROYSH D4
Knowledgeable

Post by ROYSH D4 »

South Africa to win by over 40 points!!!!
"Sometimes the blood of Patriots needs to be spilt on the Altar of Freedom....And that Blood is Blue .... Go On Leinster!"