First Test Post Mortem

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

First Test Post Mortem

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There are some positives to take from it but ultimately the Boks just bullied us up front and had they had more competitive matches behind them then I doubt the Lions would have got back into it.

Before the game I thought Croft would be a weakness but in fairness he played quite well. They clearly targeted Monye and he dealt with the pressure well but also butchered a couple of chances so hard to know if Luke should get the nod next week or not.

The ref was very unfair on us at times although obviously our indiscipline wasn't all down to his pedantry.

For next week I'd bring in Rees (nevr ever thought I'd say that!), Adam Jones and DOC (AWJ and POC just didn't work and should have been subbed much earlier imo).
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: First Test Post Mortem

Post by gfo »

The Lions went into the match like they were expecting to lose. They didn't try to match up to the 'boks at all until they seemed to realise "hang on, we can win this". The second half we had them on the ropes the whole time, had we started like that, we would've beaten them.

From a world cup (and horribly biased) perspective, I reckon a full strength Irish side could beat the Saffers should we end up playing them
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

First thoughts - O'Gara for Jones , can't keep missing those penalties. Luke for Monye , cant help but feel he would have converted at least one of those chances. Does the ref know about the yellow card- particularly in the last 10/15 mins. We could have nicked it .
BIG DAN
Bookworm

Post by BIG DAN »

Can't believe that ROG wasn't brought on in the 2nd half. Jones wasn't managing the game well and left it up to BOD to get them into a better position to score.
the leader

Post by the leader »

I think it doesn't look overly bad for next week. Few changes are needed doh.

Same front row that finished.

Luke Fitz in for Monye, missing one clear try scoring opportunity is forgivable but two is not.

Maybe shaw or hines in for jones, get a bit more bulk there.

I'd keep stephen jones in there ahead of rog, he really got the midfield who were excellent going.

I'm taking the optimistic road!!
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

Vickery was pure sh1te ,the scrum was a disaster when he was on and he gave away to many penalties.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:There are some positives to take from it but ultimately the Boks just bullied us up front and had they had more competitive matches behind them then I doubt the Lions would have got back into it.

Before the game I thought Croft would be a weakness but in fairness he played quite well. They clearly targeted Monye and he dealt with the pressure well but also butchered a couple of chances so hard to know if Luke should get the nod next week or not.

The ref was very unfair on us at times although obviously our indiscipline wasn't all down to his pedantry.

For next week I'd bring in Rees (nevr ever thought I'd say that!), Adam Jones and DOC (AWJ and POC just didn't work and should have been subbed much earlier imo).
Don't agree. The scrum yes, but other than that the Boks did nothing and the ref gave them all the breaks.
We had a lot more near misses (otherwise known as chances) than they had, even during Vickery's execution.
As for the last 20 there was only one team in it.
It's well worth remembering that Jones on for Vickery changed the game totally.
The Lions Managements failure to react to Vickery's demise was EOSesque.
The real culprits here were the Lions Management smug pre-match assumption that they had picked their best team about 3 months ago and only injuries would mean any changes.
Their failure to react to Vickery's demise was EOSesque.
Players loss of form was ignored.
Byrne has been poor since his injury in the 6Ns (Was he ever really fit again - black mark on management if so).
Jones not much better (but once Hook was injured they were left with no choice)
Monye was poor - Did anyone ever tell he should transfer the ball away from the tackle side, so that his hand is free to fend off incoming would be tracklers. Luke would have scored this.
Ferris was a big, big loss, although Croft supported his backs well.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

BIG DAN wrote:Can't believe that ROG wasn't brought on in the 2nd half. Jones wasn't managing the game well and left it up to BOD to get them into a better position to score.
Agreed
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I think it gets worse from here on in. I'm not sure changes at loose head and hooker will make too much of a difference. ROG looks better equiped to kick his goals, but we're talking about altitude now. And left wing too.

The Springboks don't lose in Pretoria, the crowd are more partizan than Durban, they will have had a full game under their belt. The Lions needed to win tonight. Next week could be a punishment.

I just feel the Boks have been poked and agrivated, and now they'll pull clear
Bogger
Knowledgeable

Post by Bogger »

The biggest change has to be Rog for Jones whose management of the game was poor, left points a begging and tactical kicking was desparate.

Ref was very hard on Lions first half - the beast was scrumaging illegally - boring in and up and yet ref could only see vickery's binding as an issue - also should have binned a Bok at end for persistent penailities - didnt even warn them, overuled the TMO on the scrum 5 - when have you seen that before - made Berdos look a fool.

Backrow needs to up the play for Pretoria - all in all they did OK and held their own but need to dobetter in link play

BOD/Roberts/Kearney/BOwe/POC/DOC/Croft/JOnes Adam all did very well-not sure on Phillips, took try well but is pedantic.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Vickery is a tw@t who will always be a liability. Adam Jones should be in before him for the next test. Lee Byrne seems to have dipped a bit, Super Rob played much better, bring in Armitage if he gets injured.
Ugo is too inexperienced, hasn't played enough top tier rugby and the Guinness Premiership isn't the elite league its made out to be.
S Jones has everything ROG doesn't, but ROG can kick better and most definitely should be in the next test considering the lions heavy use of kicking for territory.
Cant fault Phillips, thought Croft played really well considering the heavy pressure the back row were under

So basically Kearney, Luke, ROG and Adam Jones should be given starting spots in the next test, although I have a suspicion that Hook and Shane Williams will be brought in
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

Poc looks average in the lineout without John hayes
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

christy wrote:Poc looks average in the lineout without John hayes
Thought he was poor enough today. Came into it in the last 15 minutes but I was expecting more of him. He's the captain and should be leading by example.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

ROG would not have helped in that game. We've all seen ROG play in games when his pack get battered like the Lions were in the first 50 minutes, and he gets that tomato-head on him and tosses all his toys as far from the pram as he can. If O'Gara had started that game, the Lions would have been 40 points down when the Boks started to let up.

The backs were all fine, though Kearney's kicking was an improvement on Byrne's; Rob gave his chasers a chance to compete for the ball, whereas Byrne just gave Steyn all day to pick his spot and kick just as far back. The real problem was in the tight 5, and Adam Jones and Rees will probably start next week, hopefully with a new 2nd row partner for O'Connell (I'd give it to DOC). But it remains to be seen how much difference that will make; by the time the subs came on, the Boks were freewheeling.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Monye was poor. He overran kicks on numerous occasions as well as butchering two nailed on tries. Not up to it at this level.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Did anyone notice the smug look on Smit's face as he went off, or Botha and co laughing and clapping Philips on the back after the missed try? I wanted to win that game bad by the end. Arrogant pricks.

We came damn close. Has to be said. Had Jones at least scored the easier of the two penaltys, we would have been looking for a drop goal at the end instead of a try. We had three nearly (so nearly...) tries. We could have won that...

I agree with whoever said that Shane Williams is the more likely replacement for Monye. Sadly. Underservedly. Mistake.

Adam Jones at 3. Possibly even the bull. You never know. Would help the lineout.

I'm not sure about ROG. Stephen Jones did convert all three tries, and he was good at offloading quick and unleasing the magnificent centre combination at the Boks. Maybe, but I'm not sure.

Definitely Hines, Shaw or DOC for AWJ. The difference in the scrum was partly the strength of Botha. It wasn't just Adam Jones coming on that helped the scrum. Botha went off soon afterwards.

Lee Byrne might be injured now, but even if not, would be happy to see him get replaced by Rob. Anyone hear if he is hurt?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Bogger
Knowledgeable

Post by Bogger »

POC was emmense today, he worked his socks off and was among the best of the forwards, improved when his old partner DOC came on in place of W Jones who was largely annom.

Ref screwed the Lions and while I am no fan of vickery he was unfairly dealt with by the Beast Cheating and getting away with it because the ref was blinkered in first half. Lions management and POC got to ref at half time and this changed in second half, but by that time the damage had been done and Vickery's career is over. Adams is an adequate player at 3 and helped when he steadied the scrum.

Rog would be a alot better than Jones in the kicking department and I would say would have closed out the game today had we taken our chances.

Luke for Moyne - he's had his chance and he blew a couiple of golden chances, but would put Moyne on bench.

The high veldft will suit Jamie better, prepare for a great performace.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Lee Byrne might be injured now, but even if not, would be happy to see him get replaced by Rob. Anyone hear if he is hurt?
the Beeb wrote:Full-back Lee Byrne has given Lions head coach Ian McGeechan a fresh injury worry after limping off in their first Test with South Africa in Durban.

Coach Ian McGeechan said: "It's just a foot injury that stopped him running freely and got progressively worse."

Ex-Wales and Lions centre John Devereux fears Wales star Byrne could be ruled out of the two remaining Tests.

Devereux said: "This foot problem he's had with a tendon and the instep of his foot has caused him a lot of problems."

Byrne was taken off in the 37th minute at Kings Park.

Speaking to BBC Radio Wales, former dual-code international Devereux added: "I hope there's no recurrence of that because if that's the case he's going to struggle to play any more part in the tour."

Byrne is the latest in a long line of injury problems for the Lions.

The tourists have already lost Scotland prop Euan Murray to an ankle injury in the first-Test build-up.

The Lions have also lost Ryan Jones after the Wales captain was diagnosed with concussion on arrival in South Africa to replace Irishman Stephen Ferris.

Before that Wales' Leigh Halfpenny and Tom Shanklin, along with Ireland scrum-half Tomas O'Leary had to withdraw from the tour with injury.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

sarah_lennon wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
the Beeb wrote:Full-back Lee Byrne has given Lions head coach Ian McGeechan a fresh injury worry after limping off in their first Test with South Africa in Durban.

Coach Ian McGeechan said: "It's just a foot injury that stopped him running freely and got progressively worse."

Ex-Wales and Lions centre John Devereux fears Wales star Byrne could be ruled out of the two remaining Tests.

Devereux said: "This foot problem he's had with a tendon and the instep of his foot has caused him a lot of problems."

Byrne was taken off in the 37th minute at Kings Park.

Speaking to BBC Radio Wales, former dual-code international Devereux added: "I hope there's no recurrence of that because if that's the case he's going to struggle to play any more part in the tour."

Byrne is the latest in a long line of injury problems for the Lions.

The tourists have already lost Scotland prop Euan Murray to an ankle injury in the first-Test build-up.

The Lions have also lost Ryan Jones after the Wales captain was diagnosed with concussion on arrival in South Africa to replace Irishman Stephen Ferris.

Before that Wales' Leigh Halfpenny and Tom Shanklin, along with Ireland scrum-half Tomas O'Leary had to withdraw from the tour with injury.
So Byrne started with an injury - Bad Call Lions Management!
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

BOD, roberts and kearney were all very good. croft did well to keep up with the game play. vickery was found out. POC and wyn jones were quite enough but not bad, worked well though. steven jones was poor, took the ball into contact to much even though he is not an attacking threat. monye- just nowhere near the skill level as luke, luke will have to start, after BOD, luke is probably the best defensively out of the Lions backs. if he doesn't start next week its a joke. i thought rees made a good impact coming on as did jones. BOD has shown again why he should be captain.
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008