Lions Team v Emerging Springboks

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

id@53
Bookworm

Lions Team v Emerging Springboks

Post by id@53 »

British & Irish Lions versus Emerging Springboks on Tuesday 22nd June

15. Keith Earls (Munster/Ireland)
14. Shane Williams (Ospreys/Wales)
13. Riki Flutey (London Wasps/England)
12. Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster/Ireland)
11. Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster/Ireland)
10. Ronan O'Gara (Munster/Ireland) Captain
9. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers/England)
8. Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
7. Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
6. Joe Worsley (London Wasps/England)
5. Nathan Hines (Perpignan/Scotland)
4. Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster/Ireland)
3. John Hayes (Munster/Ireland)
2. Ross Ford (Edinburgh/Scotland)
1. Tim Payne (London Wasps/England)

Replacements:
16. Lee Mears (Bath/England)
17. Phil Vickery (London Wasps/England)
18. Simon Shaw (London Wasps/England)
19. David Wallace (Munster/Ireland)
20. Mike Blair (Edinburgh/Scotland)
21. James Hook (Ospreys/Wales)
22. Ugo Monye (Harlequins/England)
Turnip Boy
Knowledgeable

Re: Lions Team v Emerging Springboks

Post by Turnip Boy »

Looks like its a straight shootout between Shane Williams and Fitzy for the wing spot on Sat. A good game for ROG might see him start at the weekend. Stephen Jones was never going to play this game after the weekend and you have to wonder how fit to play Hook is. A strong showing from hayes could see him make the bench and the second row spot alongside POC looks wide open. Wallace looks like he will get a run at 6 at some stage with a view to him and Martyn Williams possibly playing together in the second test.
“It was a very simple gameplan, not the type of gameplan that would work for the Wallabies. I think it’d be too restrictive on the talent we have.” - Rocky on Leinster's style of rugby.
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Turnip Boy wrote:Wallace looks like he will get a run at 6 at some stage with a view to him and Martyn Williams possibly playing together in the second test.
Looks that way alright, would welcome that call tbh, 2 good linkmen and grafters at rucktime. I think Hayes has to be on the bench on Sat but I think they'll go with Vickery so they dont 'affect his confidence' or some other bullshit excuse.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:
Turnip Boy wrote:Wallace looks like he will get a run at 6 at some stage with a view to him and Martyn Williams possibly playing together in the second test.
Looks that way alright, would welcome that call tbh, 2 good linkmen and grafters at rucktime. I think Hayes has to be on the bench on Sat but I think they'll go with Vickery so they dont 'affect his confidence' or some other bullshit excuse.
If Vickery is on the bench on Saturday then i'd have to question this management team.

Would like to see Wallace and Williams together but Croft didn't exactly do much wrong and his chasing of restarts was impressive. Heaslip was pretty anonymous in that back row but there's nobody good enough to displace him from the number 8 shirt. I expect Jamie to have a big game on Saturday.
Turnip Boy
Knowledgeable

Post by Turnip Boy »

I thought that despite all the media hype about Croft and his two tries he was fairly average. For the first 60 mins when the Lions pack was taking a beating he was fannying around the backs too much. Wasn't hitting the rucks or putting in the graft but when the Lions really got hold of the ball and played he looked excellent in the loose.
“It was a very simple gameplan, not the type of gameplan that would work for the Wallabies. I think it’d be too restrictive on the talent we have.” - Rocky on Leinster's style of rugby.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Turnip Boy wrote:I thought that despite all the media hype about Croft and his two tries he was fairly average. For the first 60 mins when the Lions pack was taking a beating he was fannying around the backs too much. Wasn't hitting the rucks or putting in the graft but when the Lions really got hold of the ball and played he looked excellent in the loose.

He's built a career on fannying around in the backs. If he hadn't scored those two tries, he should have been dropped.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

Leinsterman wrote:
Turnip Boy wrote:I thought that despite all the media hype about Croft and his two tries he was fairly average. For the first 60 mins when the Lions pack was taking a beating he was fannying around the backs too much. Wasn't hitting the rucks or putting in the graft but when the Lions really got hold of the ball and played he looked excellent in the loose.

He's built a career on fannying around in the backs. If he hadn't scored those two tries, he should have been dropped.

ya i hate to piss on a player who scored 2 trys and chased the restarts very well but stephen jones says he was world class so that means hes sh1t..
he fell over the line for his trys but i guess the art is being in the right place at the right time ie follow brian o driscoll
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

What do the Munster fans think of Keith Earls being picked at 15 now? I know he started the tournament at 13, but this is his 4th start (I think), which great for him, but they seem to have settled on him as a 15. They could have just as easily played Luke Fitz at 15. Is it a lack of options, trying to give as many players a shot as possible, or have they concluded that this is his best position?

Simon Shaw on the bench? This definitely rules him out of a test squad place this week
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Nothing particularly interesting about that selection but I hope Darce actually gets to play 12 this time unlike last week where he was shifted to 13. I know Roberts has the 12 position sewn up but I'd still like Darce to be given a fair crack at the whip and maybe push for a bench place on Saturday.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

downsouthdukin wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

ya i hate to piss on a player who scored 2 trys and chased the restarts very well but stephen jones says he was world class so that means hes sh1t..
he fell over the line for his trys but i guess the art is being in the right place at the right time ie follow brian o driscoll
It worked for Josh Kronfeld with Jonah Lomu :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

suisse wrote:What do the Munster fans think of Keith Earls being picked at 15 now? I know he started the tournament at 13, but this is his 4th start (I think), which great for him, but they seem to have settled on him as a 15. They could have just as easily played Luke Fitz at 15. Is it a lack of options, trying to give as many players a shot as possible, or have they concluded that this is his best position?

Simon Shaw on the bench? This definitely rules him out of a test squad place this week
I think it's fair enough, he's played fullback a few times this season and with Byrne out injured, they're a bit short at 15. Not sure anyone would call it his best position but he's a threat on the counter attack if nothing else. It's probably the position in which he has most to offer this particular Lions squad.

As a matter of interest, when did Fitz last actually play fullback? Has hre turned out there for Leinster at all?

Why d'you reckon being on the bench rules out Shaw?
We're all red on the inside.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

With regards to Simon Shaw, judging by the comments made by the Lions selectors, notably Graeme Rowntree, changes are likely. I'm sure we're looking at 1 definite in the front row, possibly 2, and perhaps examining their options in the second and back rows (personally I think we'll see 3 changes in total; 2 in the front row, and a change at either 10 or 11 - but no more because it would be reckless to chop a third of the team and others suggest).
Adam Jones' non selection must imply he is a starter for Saturday, and when you look at the other players on the bench, they are either starters for Saturday (Wallace) or dirt trackers (Blair). If the Lions mamagement are examining all variables, then someone to come in for Alun Wyn Jones at 4 sees DOC and Hines getting at least 50 mins each on Tuesday. If Shaw is looking at 20/30 mins, then he must be out of contention. Is Hines a better option (scrum wise) than AWJ?
The back row..... Maybe they'll sacrifice David Wallace's link play and hard running for Joe Worsley's pure tackle at 7 (number not being important for him); or what about Wallace at 8, with Worsley promoted to the back row, if they feel Heaslip contributed little in all areas? Whatever anyone says about Joe Worsley, he does his job brilliantLY. Makes a ridiculous number of tackles, and hits his men early and hard. He's the negative option because he offerS 0 going forward, but maybe himself at 7 to batter the Bok back row, and leave Croft to take on Wallace's role?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

suisse wrote:With regards to Simon Shaw, judging by the comments made by the Lions selectors, notably Graeme Rowntree, changes are likely. I'm sure we're looking at 1 definite in the front row, possibly 2, and perhaps examining their options in the second and back rows (personally I think we'll see 3 changes in total; 2 in the front row, and a change at either 10 or 11 - but no more because it would be reckless to chop a third of the team and others suggest).
Adam Jones' non selection must imply he is a starter for Saturday, and when you look at the other players on the bench, they are either starters for Saturday (Wallace) or dirt trackers (Blair). If the Lions mamagement are examining all variables, then someone to come in for Alun Wyn Jones at 4 sees DOC and Hines getting at least 50 mins each on Tuesday. If Shaw is looking at 20/30 mins, then he must be out of contention. Is Hines a better option (scrum wise) than AWJ?
The back row..... Maybe they'll sacrifice David Wallace's link play and hard running for Joe Worsley's pure tackle at 7 (number not being important for him); or what about Wallace at 8, with Worsley promoted to the back row, if they feel Heaslip contributed little in all areas? Whatever anyone says about Joe Worsley, he does his job brilliantLY. Makes a ridiculous number of tackles, and hits his men early and hard. He's the negative option because he offerS 0 going forward, but maybe himself at 7 to batter the Bok back row, and leave Croft to take on Wallace's role?
Worsley at seven is a non-option. Played twice there on this tour and both times it meant a disaster in the breakdown. To have any chance of beating the
Boks we need quick ball to take them on in the backs. Worsley simply doesn't have the brains or the technique to provide this.

If you actually look at the game, the backrow came into it when the front five finally sorted itself out.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Turnip Boy wrote:Looks like its a straight shootout between Shane Williams and Fitzy for the wing spot on Sat. A good game for ROG might see him start at the weekend. Stephen Jones was never going to play this game after the weekend and you have to wonder how fit to play Hook is. A strong showing from hayes could see him make the bench and the second row spot alongside POC looks wide open. Wallace looks like he will get a run at 6 at some stage with a view to him and Martyn Williams possibly playing together in the second test.
Agree with all of the above, shocking the Williams is getting another chance. Hayes can get a chance purely on his lifting, which seemed to be one of the issues on Saturday with the lineout - the other beings Mears is sh*t
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Donny B. wrote:
suisse wrote:With regards to Simon Shaw, judging by the comments made by the Lions selectors, notably Graeme Rowntree, changes are likely. I'm sure we're looking at 1 definite in the front row, possibly 2, and perhaps examining their options in the second and back rows (personally I think we'll see 3 changes in total; 2 in the front row, and a change at either 10 or 11 - but no more because it would be reckless to chop a third of the team and others suggest).
Worsley at seven is a non-option. Played twice there on this tour and both times it meant a disaster in the breakdown. To have any chance of beating the
Boks we need quick ball to take them on in the backs. Worsley simply doesn't have the brains or the technique to provide this.

If you actually look at the game, the backrow came into it when SA got bored and stopped playing.
Sorry Donny, but I had to fix thaht for you :wink:
You are right about Worsley - offers more to South Africa than his own team at the breakdown
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

The weather here is dreadful. Heavy rain and high winds. If it stays like this it will be a real test for players under the high ball.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Post by Project Scorpio »

Hickiefan wrote:The weather here is dreadful. Heavy rain and high winds. If it stays like this it will be a real test for players under the high ball.
Hey look at me...I'm in South Africa...Whatever.
Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody, it would help me a lot.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Hickiefan wrote:The weather here is dreadful. Heavy rain and high winds. If it stays like this it will be a real test for players under the high ball.
yeah, well the weather in Ireland is great. Ha!

...I'm not bitter....

Serious question, anyone know any pubs in the blanchardstown/castleknock area showing the match? Its always a mess getting the barman to turn off the football and switch over to sky sports 2
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

earls had played a lot at full back so it is no surprise he is there now, it is not his best position at times he isn't the most confidant looking player at full back, he is great going forward but sometimes his ability under a high ball is questionable i'd prefere him in the center. i am hoping they are moving around because he could play on the wing inside and outside center and full back which would make him a valuable sub if required so hopefully he might make the 22 for 1 of the tests
suisse wrote:What do the Munster fans think of Keith Earls being picked at 15 now? I know he started the tournament at 13, but this is his 4th start (I think), which great for him, but they seem to have settled on him as a 15. They could have just as easily played Luke Fitz at 15. Is it a lack of options, trying to give as many players a shot as possible, or have they concluded that this is his best position?

Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote:earls had played a lot at full back so it is no surprise he is there now, it is not his best position at times he isn't the most confidant looking player at full back, he is great going forward but sometimes his ability under a high ball is questionable i'd prefere him in the center. i am hoping they are moving around because he could play on the wing inside and outside center and full back which would make him a valuable sub if required so hopefully he might make the 22 for 1 of the tests

I don't think he has what it takes for the 13 position, but his speed and elusiveness make him more suited to wing or FB anyway.
If the conditions are as bad as our tourist poster suggests then we might see how he copes under high ball prssure.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.