Future of the Lions?

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Future of the Lions?

Post by CiaranIrl »

I keep hearing commentators saying that if we lose this 3-0, the whole future of the Lions is in doubt. We'll have gone to 8-0 in a row, and we'll have lost three tests in a row. To be honest, I don't get the problem. The lions have been losing heroically for many, many years. It is what makes the wins so special. There seem to be two main points, as far as I can see.

1. The stadiums are not full.

Well, the first test was sold out 100%. There were empty seats because travel agents sold the tickets but the people didn't turn up. 1200 RD for a ticket was just greedy for the SA Union. They should have done what the soccer crowd are doing for the WC and have one price for locals and one price for tourists. We can afford 80 quid for test games.

2. The concept of putting together a team from four unions and expecting them to become a team in 6 weeks is fatally flawed.

I don't see how. Point being.... Imagine if South Africa, New Zealand & Australia put together a touring team, and toured the six nations every four years. Maybe they have warm up games against the highest placed teams in the leagues - Edinburgh, Ospreys, Munster, Perpignan and Treviso. Lets say they play the nations in order of performance in the six nations. This year, their last test would be against Ireland. They need to win four tests to win the series.

Does anyone (in their right mind) think that they couldn't do it? Probably with relative ease. If so, then all this tells us is we need to work harder.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Future of the Lions?

Post by Danthefan »

Generates far too much money to be scrapped.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

Danthefan wrote:Generates far too much money to be scrapped.

one change i would like to see though is that management should not be from a current antional team in britian or ireland
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

downsouthdukin wrote:
Danthefan wrote:Generates far too much money to be scrapped.

one change i would like to see though is that management should not be from a current antional team in britian or ireland
Sure the head coach isnt a national coach this year! :wink: See what you're getting at tho to avoid the biased, Shane Williams type selections/favouritism. Thing is you're by no means guaranteed to have any viable candidates when it's time to select the management team so it would probably be very difficult.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

i can take or leave the lions to be honest.

its far too difficult to get together a test series winning team in 6 weeks (ireland have spent 130 odd years and still cant).

the reason teams of yore did it was because they were essentially pro, training together and playing for 6months at a time.

as dan said though, it makes too much money and sky would have even less to show if they didnt have the lions come july/june every few years
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
ROYSH D4
Knowledgeable

Post by ROYSH D4 »

same arguements after every lions tour. With that much merchandise and tv rights up for auction. It shall be here long after the Dinosaurs come back and rule the earth. :D
"Sometimes the blood of Patriots needs to be spilt on the Altar of Freedom....And that Blood is Blue .... Go On Leinster!"
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

Lions: Springboks solely responsible for pricing

23/06/2009 - 12:45:58

The British and Irish Lions have insisted they are not to blame for the high ticket prices that have led to disappointing attendances during their tour of South Africa.

The first Test in Durban was not sold out and there are still tickets available for Saturday’s second Test in Pretoria priced at £95 (€110), nearly three times more expensive than a Tri-Nations international.

The Lions tour matches against provincial opposition weakened by the absence of their Springbok players have been blighted by swathes of empty seats, with those tickets around five times more than a domestic Currie Cup match.

Lions chief executive John Feehan has faced a number of enquiries on the subject during meetings with various rugby stakeholders and today outlined that the ticketing policy was down to the South African rugby authorities.

Feehan said: “The South African Rugby Union and its provincial unions had sole responsibility for the setting of ticket prices for the British and Irish Lions tour and the Lions management had no input whatsoever into any of this.

“The Lions did appoint official overseas travel agencies to service the requirements of travelling British and Irish Lions supporters. ”However, the tickets for this programme were purchased at full price from the South African Rugby Union by the British & Irish Lions.

“It is true to say we are very surprised at the level of the attending crowds. The Lions only visit South Africa every 12 years and it is therefore disappointing that the stadiums have been far from full.”

South Africa’s rugby project manager Andre Horman recently admitted that, with hindsight, they would have taken a different view on ticket prices.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/lions- ... 16003.html
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Dublinner
Bookworm

Post by Dublinner »

I think the Lions are fascinating. really enjoy them. Firstly because it puts the very best of Irelands players on a massive world stage. There is huge interest all over the world in the series. Secondly, because they are always up against it and on paper should not have a prayer of winning a series against the world champs, on their home patch having come together for just 6 weeks. If the Lions can somehow sneak a win at the weekend the hype for the final test will be unbelievable. On this tour, its a real shame they Springbok players didnt play for the provincial sides and its a shame the ticket prices are so high.
On the whole it is something I really look forward to every four years and long may it continue. (With a few tweaks)
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

my main problem with the lions is the favouritism, shane williams and the welsh lads this tour and 05's squad containing every single english player ever after the world cup win.
shouldn't be scrapped at all though, its great to watch. great to watch the irish lads completely trouncing the other fools on their team when it comes to talent. the confederations cup is probably affecting the ticket sales of the matches though, along with the saffers general disinterest in NH rugby