ROG.

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

lunsterfreezone
Beginner

Re: ROG.

Post by lunsterfreezone »

According to G. Thornley in the Times today, ROG got a four inch cut under his left eye earlier on in the game and could'nt see out of it. If you look at the replay the player he tackled in the air was on his left.
I'm not sure that this excuses him completly but it really has to be taken into consideration.
'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.' - BOD
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

lunsterfreezone wrote:According to G. Thornley in the Times today, ROG got a four inch cut under his left eye earlier on in the game and could'nt see out of it. If you look at the replay the player he tackled in the air was on his left.
I'm not sure that this excuses him completly but it really has to be taken into consideration.
According to Gerry f^cking Thornley.
What did you expect from that "Red under the bed"?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
lunsterfreezone
Beginner

Post by lunsterfreezone »

Oldschool wrote:
lunsterfreezone wrote:According to G. Thornley in the Times today, ROG got a four inch cut under his left eye earlier on in the game and could'nt see out of it. If you look at the replay the player he tackled in the air was on his left.
According to Gerry f^cking Thornley.
What did you expect from that "Red under the bed"?
In all fairness, the pictures pretty much tell thier own story. His eyeballs are pointing in completely different directions!!!
'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.' - BOD
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

gfo wrote:
munster#1 wrote: because he'd be too fat to leave the pitch. did you see the man play in 03/04?
Yeah, wind your neck in! That's an Irish hero you're talking about, Munster player or not!
exiledinmunster
Beginner

Post by exiledinmunster »

[

ROG's form has been up and down like a dock yard whore. Please try to have a bit of perspective.[/quote]
saying it's over the last 3 years is very harsh and untrue. ROG has been top points scorer in the 6 nations 2 of the past 3 years, in 2008 been beaten by mr wilkinson by 2 points, sure some of his kicking this year was below his standards but still above nearly every other international out half. i'm not saying he is the best player in the world but i am glad we have him without his ability to marshal the backs in the 6 nations we would not have a grand slam.
in the last 3 years he has become top points scorer of all time in the 6 nations and heineken cup, co captained munster to win the heineken cup in 2008, been top points scorer in the 6 nations twice won the magners league. he has been playing to the same standard he always has, he was never able to tackle this is not a new problem but despite this he is the most succesful irish rugby player of all time not the best but by far the most succesful[/quote]

Explain please how O'Gara is by far the most successful Irish rugby player of all time?
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

The smartest career move RO'G made was ditching UCC and moving to Cork Con whilst still a student.

The Power Brokers in Con smoothed his way onto the Munster and Irish teams. Its no con-incidence that he was picked, ahead of at the time a superior David Humphries, for the Lions tour in 2001 when the tour manager was a fellow Cork Con clubmate.

He has been consistently been picked beyond his level of ability and he has acquired so many points and games for Munster and Ireland because for much of the time there has been no alternative.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

Exile wrote:The smartest career move RO'G made was ditching UCC and moving to Cork Con whilst still a student.

The Power Brokers in Con smoothed his way onto the Munster and Irish teams. Its no con-incidence that he was picked, ahead of at the time a superior David Humphries, for the Lions tour in 2001 when the tour manager was a fellow Cork Con clubmate.

He has been consistently been picked beyond his level of ability and he has acquired so many points and games for Munster and Ireland because for much of the time there has been no alternative.
is this Cork Con mafia a threat to Leinsters own Clongowes Wood family?
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

If he saw well enough to field a high kick in his own 22, run it back and kick a garryowen I'm going to say he could see well enough to notice the 14 stone green jersey leaping into the air 6 feet in front of him. But, as previously said, I don't blame him so much for the penalty. Stupid penalties happen. Wallace against Wales for example. Matthew Rees and Simon Shaw for their high tackles. I take issue with his tackling. Such a vital and basic component of the game and a professional of 10 years cannot execute it. If you can't pass a ball accurately you're a liability to your team. If you can't catch a ball you're a liability to your team. If you cannot tackle you are a liability to your team. This has been highlighted ad nauseum through O'Gara's career and he has done little to rectify the situation. As his body is getting older he seems even more susceptible to these incidents. I can think of 4 very obvious ones in his last 6 games I think where has has been badly bounced off tackles. He's not going to put on a stone of muscle now or alter his technique radically. As his reactions slow that little bit more I think these will just become more and more commonplace. The best fly half in the NH over the past 10 years but I think it's safe to say his time is drawing to a close and he won't be going out in a blaze of glory.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

exiledinmunster wrote:[

ROG's form has been up and down like a dock yard whore. Please try to have a bit of perspective.
saying it's over the last 3 years is very harsh and untrue. ROG has been top points scorer in the 6 nations 2 of the past 3 years, in 2008 been beaten by mr wilkinson by 2 points, sure some of his kicking this year was below his standards but still above nearly every other international out half. i'm not saying he is the best player in the world but i am glad we have him without his ability to marshal the backs in the 6 nations we would not have a grand slam.
in the last 3 years he has become top points scorer of all time in the 6 nations and heineken cup, co captained munster to win the heineken cup in 2008, been top points scorer in the 6 nations twice won the magners league. he has been playing to the same standard he always has, he was never able to tackle this is not a new problem but despite this he is the most succesful irish rugby player of all time not the best but by far the most succesful[/quote]

Explain please how O'Gara is by far the most successful Irish rugby player of all time?[/quote]
ok he has won 2 heineken cups been in countless finals, semi finals and quarters, he is the heineken cups highest points scorer as well as having 1 of the highest amount of appearences, he has won 3 triple crowns plus a 6 nations again he is top points scorer in that competition and 1 of the most capt players in that 2. he has won 2 magners leagues also he has won the ail with cons can you name a more successful player, only the bull comes close as he is the most capped player in HC and 6N won all the same things but i think he has won 4 ails. BOD is probably the best player of all time but that is hard to prove because there were so many great players from different eras but ROG's facts speak for themselves and that is real proof
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

ceemec wrote:
If he saw well enough to field a high kick in his own 22, run it back and kick a garryowen I'm going to say he could see well enough to notice the 14 stone green jersey leaping into the air 6 feet in front of him. But, as previously said, I don't blame him so much for the penalty. Stupid penalties happen. Wallace against Wales for example. Matthew Rees and Simon Shaw for their high tackles. I take issue with his tackling. Such a vital and basic component of the game and a professional of 10 years cannot execute it. If you can't pass a ball accurately you're a liability to your team. If you can't catch a ball you're a liability to your team. If you cannot tackle you are a liability to your team. This has been highlighted ad nauseum through O'Gara's career and he has done little to rectify the situation. As his body is getting older he seems even more susceptible to these incidents. I can think of 4 very obvious ones in his last 6 games I think where has has been badly bounced off tackles. He's not going to put on a stone of muscle now or alter his technique radically. As his reactions slow that little bit more I think these will just become more and more commonplace. The best fly half in the NH over the past 10 years but I think it's safe to say his time is drawing to a close and he won't be going out in a blaze of glory.
:?
Not sure about that. In the time he has been free from injury Wilkinson was far far better. Stephen Jones has been there consistently (mostly behind a far weaker pack until the last 3 years). ROG in patches has been the form OH yes, buit over the last 10 years I don't think so.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

I seem to remember O'Gara's comments about Geordan Murphy's missed tackle against France in 2007 on the Reaching for Glory dvd, please forgive the sumation but it went something like 'it was too soft a tackle to miss and it's unacceptable at this level....'

Ah Hummmm......... Prophetic words indeed Ronan.
Anyway, enough on poor old ROG, we've all had clangers in our lives.

Who's up for wearing a Tutu for the SA game in Nov. at Croker..... might need the bulletproofs on underneath.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Hayes is not overweight. There is a shot him after one of the Triple Crowns with his top off and there is sweet FA fat on him, which is pretty impressive for someone who is pushing 20 stone.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

He obviously still believes that he is all, that he (used to be) hyped up to be! - from an interview after the final warm-up game:

"O'Gara admitted he was a little disappointed with his own performance in the Lions' final match before Saturday's first Test against the Springboks.

"The game was so far off Test-match intensity that I found it hard," he said. "That's when I play my best, when it's very intense. except when I play for Ireland or the Lions.

"And I hadn't expected to come on, although that isn't an excuse. It was a hard place and a very hard pitch."

The players will find out if they have made the Test team on Wednesday morning and O'Gara feels he has given a good account of himself on tour.

"I feel I am playing well but it's out of my hands," he said. "I feel I have given my best and I can go to bed knowing I've given it all I can." "
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

tones wrote:
ceemec wrote:
:?
Not sure about that. In the time he has been free from injury Wilkinson was far far better. Stephen Jones has been there consistently (mostly behind a far weaker pack until the last 3 years). ROG in patches has been the form OH yes, buit over the last 10 years I don't think so.
We'll have to agree to disagree so. Wilkinson has played so little in 6 years I don't think he can be considered. Jones is right there but, in my opinion, ROG's consistency at club as well as international level for 10 years pushes him ahead in my eyes.
red49
Knowledgeable

Post by red49 »

Danthefan wrote:Retire please.
oh no dont retire dan,this forum needs the odd load of cr@p posted on it amongst all the good posts.just like rogs dat maybe not one of your better posts
Retired
id@53
Bookworm

Post by id@53 »

O'Gara fitness blow to The Lions 3rd Test chances......

.....apparently he WILL be fit for Saturday :lol:
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

ceemec wrote: We'll have to agree to disagree so. Wilkinson has played so little in 6 years I don't think he can be considered. Jones is right there but, in my opinion, ROG's consistency at club as well as international level for 10 years pushes him ahead in my eyes.
Yep but in that time was far more influential and respected all over the world. 10 years ago where was ROG? Has been the starter for all of those ten years? ROG has been very consistent at club level, thats true, not at Test level.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
exiledinmunster
Beginner

Post by exiledinmunster »

munster#1 wrote:

ROG's form has been up and down like a dock yard whore. Please try to have a bit of perspective.
in the last 3 years he has become top points scorer of all time in the 6 nations and heineken cup, co captained munster to win the heineken cup in 2008, been top points scorer in the 6 nations twice won the magners league. he has been playing to the same standard he always has, he was never able to tackle this is not a new problem but despite this he is the most succesful irish rugby player of all time not the best but by far the most succesful

Explain please how O'Gara is by far the most successful Irish rugby player of all time?[/quote]
ok he has won 2 heineken cups been in countless finals, semi finals and quarters, he is the heineken cups highest points scorer as well as having 1 of the highest amount of appearences, he has won 3 triple crowns plus a 6 nations again he is top points scorer in that competition and 1 of the most capt players in that 2. he has won 2 magners leagues also he has won the ail with cons can you name a more successful player, only the bull comes close as he is the most capped player in HC and 6N won all the same things but i think he has won 4 ails. BOD is probably the best player of all time but that is hard to prove because there were so many great players from different eras but ROG's facts speak for themselves and that is real proof[/quote]

Being top point scorer and top cap holder does not make you ' by far the most successful Irish rugby player'. By your own admission John Hayes has morehonours.

Being
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

exiledinmunster wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

in the last 3 years he has become top points scorer of all time in the 6 nations and heineken cup, co captained munster to win the heineken cup in 2008, been top points scorer in the 6 nations twice won the magners league. he has been playing to the same standard he always has, he was never able to tackle this is not a new problem but despite this he is the most succesful irish rugby player of all time not the best but by far the most succesful

Explain please how O'Gara is by far the most successful Irish rugby player of all time?
ok he has won 2 heineken cups been in countless finals, semi finals and quarters, he is the heineken cups highest points scorer as well as having 1 of the highest amount of appearences, he has won 3 triple crowns plus a 6 nations again he is top points scorer in that competition and 1 of the most capt players in that 2. he has won 2 magners leagues also he has won the ail with cons can you name a more successful player, only the bull comes close as he is the most capped player in HC and 6N won all the same things but i think he has won 4 ails. BOD is probably the best player of all time but that is hard to prove because there were so many great players from different eras but ROG's facts speak for themselves and that is real proof[/quote]

Being top point scorer and top cap holder does not make you ' by far the most successful Irish rugby player'. By your own admission John Hayes has morehonours.

Being[/quote]
beinging top points scorer for an out half is everything and to be that in the 2 biggest competitions in europe is a massive achievement and does make him the most successful along with everything else he has won in my opinion.would you disregard BODs trys as a success then and only judge him in what he's won with leinster and ireland?. then again i would be very happy to have the bull regarded as the greatest, being a shannon fan and the fact that he is a legend
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

On the most successful Irish player and medal counting DOC must of won the same senior medals as rog but as far as I can remember BOD, DOC, P Wallace all have under19 world cup medals
:D
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian