O Driscoll Hit on Russouw

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

tones
Shane Jennings

Re: O Driscoll Hit on Russouw

Post by tones »

It was a ball and all tackle to snuff out the attack via an offload. He made the attempt to wrap the arms.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oscar wrote:He went for the big ball-and-all hit, but got his head in the wrong place and smacked noggins with Roussouw by accident. That's why it didn't look like a wrap; when the heads collided, both players went down in a heap.

It wasn't high, it wasn't a dangerous tackle, but it is a sport where people can get injured when they've done everything right. I've been to hospital twice for concussions on a rugby field that were a result of perfectly fair play.

There's supposed to be a bit of malice in the tackle. It's a Springboks v Lions test, with the series on the line.

I do think it was a bit stupid on BOD's part. If he'd got his head a bit lower or just made a regular tackle, I think he doesn't hurt his head, doesn't make the mistake for the Habana try, ROG never comes on the pitch, and the Lions win the test. I know he's a great player who puts his body on the line, but I think a bit of self preservation at this stage of his career wouldn't go amiss; he's more use to Leinster, Ireland and the Lions when he's on the field.
Shane Williams replaced BOD, he didn't even get in a position to screw up aside from a poor attempt at a tackle where he eventually dragged his man down and getting flattened, in space, by Broussow.
bootlace
Knowledgeable

Post by bootlace »

It was a full on tackle,[thats right tackle],no cynical gouging, or coming in late to take a man out,man on brute sort of stuff,something you can expect from a warrior,something like that can only inspire those around him.How bigger and heavier is Russouw,and he is running forward as well,takes a great player to put his body on the line to stop him flat and knock him back.Maybe a few other players could take a note and learn from the man.
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

ronk wrote:
Oscar wrote: I do think it was a bit stupid on BOD's part. If he'd got his head a bit lower or just made a regular tackle, I think he doesn't hurt his head, doesn't make the mistake for the Habana try, ROG never comes on the pitch, and the Lions win the test. I know he's a great player who puts his body on the line, but I think a bit of self preservation at this stage of his career wouldn't go amiss; he's more use to Leinster, Ireland and the Lions when he's on the field.
Shane Williams replaced BOD, he didn't even get in a position to screw up aside from a poor attempt at a tackle where he eventually dragged his man down and getting flattened, in space, by Broussow.
BOD's hit on Brussouw was the difference between the Lions losing one centre (Roberts) or 2 (Roberts and O'Driscoll). If O'Driscoll stayed on the pitch, then ROG would never have come on. With an alert O'Driscoll in the midfield (which started to look very leaky even apart from the Habana try) the Lions would have given up a lot less territory in the last 20 minutes.

It's auntie-with-balls type speculation, but I don't think there can be any doubt the Lions would have been a stronger team with Brian O'Driscoll on the field to the final whistle.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oscar wrote:
ronk wrote:
Oscar wrote: I do think it was a bit stupid on BOD's part. If he'd got his head a bit lower or just made a regular tackle, I think he doesn't hurt his head, doesn't make the mistake for the Habana try, ROG never comes on the pitch, and the Lions win the test. I know he's a great player who puts his body on the line, but I think a bit of self preservation at this stage of his career wouldn't go amiss; he's more use to Leinster, Ireland and the Lions when he's on the field.
BOD's hit on Brussouw was the difference between the Lions losing one centre (Roberts) or 2 (Roberts and O'Driscoll). If O'Driscoll stayed on the pitch, then ROG would never have come on. With an alert O'Driscoll in the midfield (which started to look very leaky even apart from the Habana try) the Lions would have given up a lot less territory in the last 20 minutes.

It's auntie-with-balls type speculation, but I don't think there can be any doubt the Lions would have been a stronger team with Brian O'Driscoll on the field to the final whistle.
Actually it was worse than that. The hit was on Roussow. Broussow replaced him and had a huge impact: stealing the ball on the deck several times as the Lions were looking to break out of their own half and start attacks.

Anyway, that's the way BOD plays the game and that's a huge part of what makes him great. If he'd shirked the collisions he wouldn't have gotten where he is. The fact was that when Roberts and BOD went off the Lions had 2 players who didn't pull their weight. ROG tried, and in the process exposed his own weaknesses but Shane Williams stood out on the wing and let the game pass him by.

It might also be pointed out that BOD left when it became he couldn't continue with a concussion. He still played on but left the field when there was a fit replacement. Roberts only (sic) sprained his wrist but left when the Lions were down to emergency cover. Perhaps it's too much to look for but there are players who would have continued in that situation with that injury (I know I wouldn't normally have played on but I know people who have done it at lower levels).
Terraceman
Graduate

Post by Terraceman »

ronk wrote:
It might also be pointed out that BOD left when it became he couldn't continue with a concussion. He still played on but left the field when there was a fit replacement. Roberts only (sic) sprained his wrist but left when the Lions were down to emergency cover. Perhaps it's too much to look for but there are players who would have continued in that situation with that injury (I know I wouldn't normally have played on but I know people who have done it at lower levels).
Hard to say, this time last week people were saying that ROG should have been a test starter and while as always there was questions over his defeisive ability no one saw him imploding the way he did. With an injured wrist that most likely inhibited his ability to pass all Roberts would have been able to do was take the ball in to contact and starving the other backs of possession in the process.

Also a bit harsh to question the guy's commitment after the two performances he put in.I'm sure the last thing he would want to do is leave the field.
Ah it's alright mate I've being looking to change that wing mirror- Rocky Elsom 19/05/2009
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Terraceman wrote:
ronk wrote:
Hard to say, this time last week people were saying that ROG should have been a test starter and while as always there was questions over his defeisive ability no one saw him imploding the way he did. With an injured wrist that most likely inhibited his ability to pass all Roberts would have been able to do was take the ball in to contact and starving the other backs of possession in the process.

Also a bit harsh to question the guy's commitment after the two performances he put in.I'm sure the last thing he would want to do is leave the field.
Probably pretty hard to tackle effectively when your wrist is banjaxed. There are sprains and there are sprains, if it was bad enough to keep Roberts out of this week's test, I'm sure it's not the sort of sprain that your run of the mill club player would continue on with.

Good point about Brussouw, though. I was just wondering if that was the catalyst to bring him into the game. Looked like a great hit the instant you saw it, looking back though, arguably it's the moment the series was lost.