Mick Galway on gouging

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Mick Galway on gouging

Post by AidanSloan »

He's on Newstalk later today. It'll be interesting to hear what he thinks and compare his comments to Quinlans case. :?
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Mick Galway on gouging

Post by Scott »

AidanSloan wrote:He's on Newstalk later today. It'll be interesting to hear what he thinks and compare his comments to Quinlans case. :?

Mick always has me in stitches. It’s the same reason I enjoy reading Stephen Jones . They are clowns & always good for a laugh. Heard him today trying to defend “Quinny”. Funny. Then claiming that Earls should have been on the bench – with no mention debate as to why or what better qualities he brings to physical games than Flutey/Darcy. “Marcus Horan would have fronted up if out their” had me spitting my coffee all over the office. & then “Rog had his eye on the ball all the way and it was really a 50/50 call for the penalty”
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

The difference between Quinlan and Burger "Fitzgerald needed treatment and the touchjudge saw it" okkkkkkk
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Scott wrote:“Rog had his eye on the ball all the way and it was really a 50/50 call for the penalty”
I'll probably be shot for this but I actually agree with him on that point. I've watched and rewatched the incident and if ROG had just attemted to jump there may not have been a penalty.

As for the rest of it - did we really expect him to do anything other than spout tripe.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Xanthippe wrote:
Scott wrote:“Rog had his eye on the ball all the way and it was really a 50/50 call for the penalty”
I'll probably be shot for this but I actually agree with him on that point. I've watched and rewatched the incident and if ROG had just attemted to jump there may not have been a penalty.
Ye but that’s the thing he is an experienced player with 90plus international caps. He knew that a Saffer would have to jump for the ball & by him not competing he was going to obstruct. He also turns his shoulder into De Preez. 100% penalty. BAng bang
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Xanthippe wrote:

As for the rest of it - did we really expect him to do anything other than spout tripe.
If he had made any attempt to jump it would have been a fair go as both were in the air but he did his usually lazy, refusal to commit and gave away the penalty.He is such a pussy it's frightening
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Mick Galwey is a f%~king idiot anyway. I'd like to gouge his eyes out.
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Isaac4leinster wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:

If he had made any attempt to jump it would have been a fair go as both were in the air but he did his usually lazy, refusal to commit and gave away the penalty.He is such a pussy it's frightening
If you want to go around calling guys who put their bodies on the line for Irish rugby on a weekly basis "pussies" then I'm sure you'll avoid hypocrisy and start using your real name and not 'Isaac4leinster'. That would prove that you're not a pussy. I'd love to see your reaction to Pierre Spies coming at you at top speed after a 40 yard wind-up.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

well if he waited till he landed and then tackled him rather than using his shoulder we would be talking about the 3rd test right now. Look these things happen, Saffies should never have got in that position anyway.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Xanthippe wrote:

If O'Gara had of jumpoed there would have been no penalty, it would have been a fair challenge for the ball.
Give us a swerve Girve
Bookworm

Post by Give us a swerve Girve »

Fact is that he should have, but didn't, jump and as a result he gave away the penalty.
In BOD we trust
Livestrong7
Bookworm

Post by Livestrong7 »

Isaac4leinster wrote:Mick Galwey is a fu**king idiot anyway. I'd like to gouge his eyes out.

Brilliant..really enjoyed that.
'I've played for this team for ten years some guys for 11 or 12 and I've loved every minute of it...It was worth the wait. I love Leinster and i couldn't have won it with a better bunch of players' Brian O'Driscoll.
Terraceman
Graduate

Post by Terraceman »

Scott wrote:
AidanSloan wrote:He's on Newstalk later today. It'll be interesting to hear what he thinks and compare his comments to Quinlans case. :?

Mick always has me in stitches. It’s the same reason I enjoy reading Stephen Jones . They are clowns & always good for a laugh. Heard him today trying to defend “Quinny”. Funny. Then claiming that Earls should have been on the bench – with no mention debate as to why or what better qualities he brings to physical games than Flutey/Darcy. “Marcus Horan would have fronted up if out their” had me spitting my coffee all over the office. & then “Rog had his eye on the ball all the way and it was really a 50/50 call for the penalty”

Yeah ya really can't beat the former munster players analysis of the game. David Corkery is in another league though with his Munster bias. His pre semi final predictions were absolutely comical.
Ah it's alright mate I've being looking to change that wing mirror- Rocky Elsom 19/05/2009
velvitjester
Graduate

Post by velvitjester »

Mick Galwey is a grade A clown but then the host Eamonn Keane is even worse.
Even worse than those 2 again is David Crokery.

At least there are no Leinster ex pro's who spout as much shite as the above 2,bunch of clowns.
Munster V Leinster 2009-Stuart Barnes
The odds are on the men in red but there is genius in the blue team.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Jim Glennon may not be an ex-pro, but he's an ex-player, and he's absolutely full of sh¡t and a pompous tool to boot.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

velvitjester wrote:At least there are no Leinster ex pro's who spout as much shite as the above 2,bunch of clowns.

In Galweys defence, he's not nearly as bad as Corkery. I know lots of Munster lads who despise him and his upper middle class Munster Rugby uber alles attitude, especially when he starts bad mouthing GAA, hurling and soccer
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Comer Toes wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:
If you want to go around calling guys who put their bodies on the line for Irish rugby on a weekly basis "pussies" then I'm sure you'll avoid hypocrisy and start using your real name and not 'Isaac4leinster'. That would prove that you're not a pussy. I'd love to see your reaction to Pierre Spies coming at you at top speed after a 40 yard wind-up.
Oh my god you're right, I forgot that you can only comment on a players performance if you're tougher than them.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the point about ROG is that he clearly hasn' t put his body on line for Ireland over the last ten years hence the numerous occasions when he has attempted to 'toilet bowl' tackle players with his eyes shut.

As for Spies, I have been lucky enough to tackle Spies from a 50 metre windup and I f%~king nailed him. Afterwards he told me it was best tackle he has ever been hit with and admitted that he had a lot to learn from players like me.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Isaac4leinster wrote:As for Spies, I have been lucky enough to tackle Spies from a 50 metre windup and I f%~king nailed him. Afterwards he told me it was best tackle he has ever been hit with and admitted that he had a lot to learn from players like me.
Isaac4leinster wrote:Mick Galwey is a f%~king idiot anyway. I'd like to gouge his eyes out.
You're on fire Isaac!
exiledinmunster
Beginner

Post by exiledinmunster »

olaf the fat wrote:well if he waited till he landed and then tackled him rather than using his shoulder we would be talking about the 3rd test right now. Look these things happen, Saffies should never have got in that position anyway.

He probably would have missed the tackle when he landed.
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

exiledinmunster wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:well if he waited till he landed and then tackled him rather than using his shoulder we would be talking about the 3rd test right now. Look these things happen, Saffies should never have got in that position anyway.

He probably would have missed the tackle when he landed.
I think Du Preez would probably have dropped the ball forward even without tripping over ROG, and the knock-on would have meant advantage to the Lions 5 metres inside the Bok half.