Suggested Lions team for 3rd test

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Suggested Lions team for 3rd test

Post by Oldschool »

Team based on assumed injury status of players.

Kearney
Bowe
Fitzgerald
D'Arcy
Williams
Jones
Phillips
Payne
Rees
Sheridan
O'connell
Shaw
Croft
Wallace
Heaslip

Bench
Ford
Hayes
O'Callaghan
Williams
Worseley
Ellis
Hook
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Rogocoko
Knowledgeable

Re: Suggested Lions team for 3rd test

Post by Rogocoko »

As much as I hate to say it (I don't like munster)..... Earls probabaly deserves a run-out.... i'd stick luke on the wing... flutey in centre and earls on the bench!
Munster. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

15. JPR Williams - was lining out for his club a couple of years ago, albeit as flanker. Might be persuaded to make a comeback, seeing as apparently anything goes these days.

14. Matt Banahan - obviously quite raw compared to some of the three quarters, but shows potential: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5tE9S8uwj4

13. Michael Bisping - excels in the ground game; a great scrambler with a fine line in double-leg takedowns ... sorry, tackling.

12. Kenny Egan - still an amateur, so might lose his chance at the Olympics by playing in a professional game. Important to keep him on-tour, rather than in New York.

11. Andy Lee - very upright in terms of his carriage, but no-one likes an out-and-out leftie

10. Joe Calzaghe - undefeated, and the latest in a line of excellent Newport products. Always nice to have a Welsh outhalf.

9. Ricky Hatton - Small, but feisty. Very chinny in the first couple of minutes though - just ask Manny Pacquiao. Lucky that Burger is banned for another couple of days. The tour joker, and all-round lovable rogue.

8. David Haye - as an athlete, he puts even Pierre Spies in the shade. Loves the sh¡t talk as well, so himself and Botha will doubtless put the world to rights through dialogue.

7. Alan Quinlan - a little out of position, but had his finest hour in an Irish jersey as a 7. Should be well rested.

6. Steve Collins - doesn't have the pace of an out and out openside anymore, but the spiritual leader of the Irish contingent. Player's Court Judge.

5. Lennox Lewis - 6'6" with a great reach. As a former world champion, should be able to put up a good show against opposition world champs Botha and Matfield.

4. Trevor Brennan - have to get him sorted out with a disguise, I think he's still banned.

3. Peter Clohessy - still got it. 'Nuff said.

2. Michael Carruth - has added bulk in his retirement. Just like The Beast, originally had the physique of a backrow player; probably more suited to the front row these days.

1. Gary Halpin AKA Flounder - who can forget the double "F*ck You!" bird salute to the Kiwis in RWC95?

8 Irish, 4 English, 3 Welsh

Manager: Silvery haired? Twinkle in his eye? Vastly experienced as both an athlete and a coach at the highest level? Geech? The next best thing, Mick Dowling.

Coach: Enzo Calzaghe, straight from a successful stint in Wales. Will anybody understand his outlandish Welsh-Gyppo cant though?

Defense Coach: Roger Mayweather - bringing in foreign coaches is well known to the Lions: Gatland this year, Graham henry in 2001. The best defensive coach in the game.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Michelle Smith was a bit of a beast in her day :lol: :lol:
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Payne and Sheridan are looseheads.

It looks like Hayes or Vickery to start tighthead. (runner up on the bench).

2nd row, as usual has some great options. Backrow is fine.

I wouldn't pick Shane Williams though. I thought he wasn't up to the pace when he was called into the action. It was a mistake to have him on the bench when there were better options in Earls, D'Arcy, Monye and Flutey. Sad to say but he's just not up to it at the moment.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Rogocoko wrote:As much as I hate to say it (I don't like munster)..... Earls probabaly deserves a run-out.... i'd stick luke on the wing... flutey in centre and earls on the bench!
I guess this is the type of post we should accept now that the game has really taken off here. Pure ignorance on a level not seen before. Tell me, what does the fact that Earls plays for Munster have anything to do with this? This is about the Lions, so leave the parachoial bullshit aside. Not to mention the fact that Earls is an Irishman!!! Oh, and I'd imagine it would be the biggest day of his life, but you'd rather take that away from him because he plays for a rival club?

Going on form over the two test matches, Tommy Bowe's place must be in serious threat. He just can't get into the game at all, and the Lions need more from him. Just give Earls a bash there. He would be ripping up trees
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

hugonaut wrote:15. JPR Williams - was lining out for his club a couple of years ago, albeit as flanker. Might be persuaded to make a comeback, seeing as apparently anything goes these days.

14. Matt Banahan - obviously quite raw compared to some of the three quarters, but shows potential: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5tE9S8uwj4

13. Michael Bisping - excels in the ground game; a great scrambler with a fine line in double-leg takedowns ... sorry, tackling.

12. Kenny Egan - still an amateur, so might lose his chance at the Olympics by playing in a professional game. Important to keep him on-tour, rather than in New York.

11. Andy Lee - very upright in terms of his carriage, but no-one likes an out-and-out leftie

10. Joe Calzaghe - undefeated, and the latest in a line of excellent Newport products. Always nice to have a Welsh outhalf.

9. Ricky Hatton - Small, but feisty. Very chinny in the first couple of minutes though - just ask Manny Pacquiao. Lucky that Burger is banned for another couple of days. The tour joker, and all-round lovable rogue.

8. David Haye - as an athlete, he puts even Pierre Spies in the shade. Loves the sh¡t talk as well, so himself and Botha will doubtless put the world to rights through dialogue.

7. Alan Quinlan - a little out of position, but had his finest hour in an Irish jersey as a 7. Should be well rested.

6. Steve Collins - doesn't have the pace of an out and out openside anymore, but the spiritual leader of the Irish contingent. Player's Court Judge.

5. Lennox Lewis - 6'6" with a great reach. As a former world champion, should be able to put up a good show against opposition world champs Botha and Matfield.

4. Trevor Brennan - have to get him sorted out with a disguise, I think he's still banned.

2. Michael Carruth - has added bulk in his retirement. Just like The Beast, originally had the physique of a backrow player; probably more suited to the front row these days.

1. Gary Halpin AKA Flounder - who can forget the double "F*ck You!" bird salute to the Kiwis in RWC95?

Manager: Silvery haired? Twinkle in his eye? Vastly experienced as both an athlete and a coach at the highest level? Geech? The next best thing, Mick Dowling.

Coach: Enzo Calzaghe, straight from a successful stint in Wales. Will anybody understand his outlandish Welsh-Gyppo cant though?

Defense Coach: Roger Mayweather - bringing in foreign coaches is well known to the Lions: Gatland this year, Graham henry in 2001. The best defensive coach in the game.
Surely you'd have to consider Setanta O Hailpin? Maybe an option at 15? Good under the high ball and excellent on the ground http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtQWKkXDRRg&feature=fvw
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Does it matter who we pick? Jenkins and Adam Jones (who got a lot of stick on here but proved that he's a quality player) are defintely out and then it looks like BOD and Roberts are out too so tbh I think it's game over already. I'd probably play Bowe at 13 but he might be out too........regardless of who we play it's going to be a massacre!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

ronk wrote:Payne and Sheridan are looseheads.

I wouldn't pick Shane Williams though. I thought he wasn't up to the pace when he was called into the action. It was a mistake to have him on the bench when there were better options in Earls, D'Arcy, Monye and Flutey. Sad to say but he's just not up to it at the moment.
go easy on oldschool ronk he is still learning the ropes of rugby i'd say and new support is always welcome, he doesn't understand it takes a special prop to play on both sides of the scrum, it has to be either hayes or vickery starting it will prob be vickery. also to put a winger in centre and putting an inside centre to outside would be suicide especially when you have earls who is a pretty handy outside centre already also as you said flutey is a there and in my opinion is a great player for breaking the game line. it would be great to see darcy and earls play together 1 irish centre out and 2 in. maybe i just have my green goggles on.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote:

go easy on oldschool ronk he is still learning the ropes of rugby i'd say and new support is always welcome, he doesn't understand it takes a special prop to play on both sides of the scrum, it has to be either hayes or vickery starting it will prob be vickery. also to put a winger in centre and putting an inside centre to outside would be suicide especially when you have earls who is a pretty handy outside centre already also as you said flutey is a there and in my opinion is a great player for breaking the game line. it would be great to see darcy and earls play together 1 irish centre out and 2 in. maybe i just have my green goggles on.
I thought I was being easy 8)

If Hook is back I can see him replacing O'Gara on the bench. Shame because O'Gara might have made a better impact if he'd come in in better circumstances.

I just think Shane Williams is a liability at this level at the moment. There are plenty of selection permutations and it would be nice to see Earls getting a start. If necessary, I'd put him on the wing but I can imagine Monye getting picked ahead of him there. I just don't know what will happen.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:15. JPR Williams - was lining out for his club a couple of years ago, albeit as flanker. Might be persuaded to make a comeback, seeing as apparently anything goes these days.

Didn't see any real genuine heavyweights in there, except for Trevor maybe.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Hayes or Vickery - That's exactly why I picked Sheridan.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote:

Vickery is special alright!
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

a game too late, but 99 call wouldnt go amiss paulie
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschool wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

i think they will go with vickery based on the fact that he has played more matches than the bull not because he is a better player, i would pick the bull first based on the fact that he is the best lifter we have, plus he gets around the field like a man half his size.
if you really think sheridan would be a better option then your rugby knowledge must be limited because moving a prop from 1 side of the scrum to the other is like playing a number 8 on the wing. both sides of the scrum at front row are completely different and would take sheridan weeks to adjust not 1 week
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

munster#1 wrote:
i think they will go with vickery based on the fact that he has played more matches than the bull not because he is a better player, i would pick the bull first based on the fact that he is the best lifter we have, plus he gets around the field like a man half his size.
if you really think sheridan would be a better option then your rugby knowledge must be limited because moving a prop from 1 side of the scrum to the other is like playing a number 8 on the wing. both sides of the scrum at front row are completely different and would take sheridan weeks to adjust not 1 week
I'd also not be too keen on Sheridan as he seems to be a walking penno mountain at the moment. But as Vickery was comprehensively outplayed (legally or not, the reffing has been so atrocious I find it hard to believe he was really that poor, if only as I'm going on that midweek game when Jenkins was penalised all first half, the ref moved position in the 2nd and presto, no more pennos!) should he really be starting this game? we do still want to win it...

i don't think Earls should start, I think it's too soon for him. There are reports that roberts may be fit, so if he is, I'd go with him and probably D'Arcy (though that's because I don't like Flutey at all). Hook on the bench with monye (unless Bowe isn't fit & then I'd stick him on the wing).

Oh, and Williams (shane) would be nowhere near the 22. If he has to be in the ground, so be it, but no where near the matchday 22.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

What's the craic with the SAFFER team? are they blooding players or going to hospitalise more of our players?
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
munster#1ronk wrote:Payne and Sheridan are looseheads.

go easy on oldschool ronk he is still learning the ropes of rugby i'd say and new support is always welcome, he doesn't understand it takes a special prop to play on both sides of the scrum, it has to be either hayes or vickery starting it will prob be vickery. also to put a winger in centre and putting an inside centre to outside would be suicide especially when you have earls who is a pretty handy outside centre already also as you said flutey is a there and in my opinion is a great player for breaking the game line. it would be great to see darcy and earls play together 1 irish centre out and 2 in. maybe i just have my green goggles on.---------------
Sheridan has been weeks on tour, and weeks before it, preparing.
As a likely bench prop during a tour, he would have practiced both sides or else the coaches don't know what they're doing.
Rogocoko
Knowledgeable

Post by Rogocoko »

suisse wrote:I'd imagine it would be the biggest day of his life, but you'd rather take that away from him because he plays for a rival club?
Yes
Munster. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

My choice would be:

Sheridan and Hayes in at LH and TH.

Roberts and D'Arcy or Flutey and D'Arcy in the centre depending on fitness.

Fitz, Bowe and Kearney or Fitz, Earls and Kearney the back three depending on fitness.

If Roberts and Bowe are fit. Hook and Earls on the bench gives most cover and impact.

Having said all that, I think Vickery will start and if Bowe isn't fit, Williams will start on the wing.
We're all red on the inside.