Lions Team named for 3rd Test

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: Lions Team named for 3rd Test

Post by RoboProp »

Though Heaslip's athleticism was simply astounding. There was that try saving jumping, his break for first try and then the maul where he has no right to stay on his feet. Mal used to be the most naturally gifted athlete in the Irish set up I think he has been surpassed. I'm sure he won't mind.

Well done to all the Lions from these shores, you did us all proud.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

RoboProp wrote:Though Heaslip's athleticism was simply astounding. There was that try saving jumping, his break for first try and then the maul where he has no right to stay on his feet. Mal used to be the most naturally gifted athlete in the Irish set up I think he has been surpassed. I'm sure he won't mind.
Ferris is a physical freak as well [the only lifter stronger than him is ex-Australian shot put champion Court, and he's amongst the 5 quickest over 10m and 25m], as is that well known physical specimen, Wally, whose athletic prowess quite frankly beggars belief. Always makes me smile when rugby journalists refer to the Ferris/Wallace/Heaslip backrow as 'finely balanced': yep, three of the outstanding physical specimens in NH rugby, that's a real fine balance, you clichéd hacks. A finely balanced backrow was Easterby, Gleeson and Foley, all close to archetypal players for their respective positions but all of them without the size and athleticism of the current Irish backrow.

Irish rugby in good health; in very good health.
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Great performance by the Lions but once again Sky kinda ruined it for me. Thankfully, POC brought them back down to earth in his post-match interview which nicely balanced his satisfaction with the result with an acknowledgement of the broader picture. That Graham Simmons is such a tool it's hard to know if he's actually taking the p*ss sometimes. "Give us a hug Shawsie"... please. Asking POC if winning a dead-rubber was the greatest day of his rugby career ever??

Heaslip was outstanding and should have won MOTM - Pierre who??
POC delivered his best performance of the tour and really had Dickinson eating out of his palm. Kearney, Bowe both did well, if not as potent as earlier moments on the tour. Williams and Brussouw was great to watch. Bar ickle, the other 3 wingers on the pitch were barely ML standard. 3 good games in fairness, and overall I think it's fair to say that the Lions were every bit as good as the Boks... but please spare me the Sky cr@p about aggregate points victories etc. Not a mention of the fact the ground looked only 2/3's full...
katiefly
Bookworm

Post by katiefly »

So did anyone see the Martin Williams been lifted by the Boks!!!! Stuart Dickinson was a Dick not to do something about that!!

After watching the match the Boks are filthy , tugging jerseys is childs play....playground stuff. They need to be put back in their Boks when they come to Croke Park!!

Mr Kidney and the boys need to teach them a lesson.

Peter De Villers is dealing with a filthy playing team ravaged by people who eye gouge and dislocate a mans shoulder and puts him out for six months!!! No wonder the mans a nut job.
There isn't winning or losing in rugby - only surviving.

"The pub is as much a part of rugby as is the playing field"
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

katiefly wrote:
Peter De Villers is dealing with a filthy playing team ravaged by people who eye gouge and dislocate a mans shoulder and puts him out for six months!!! No wonder the mans a nut job.
You don't have to be crazy to coach the Springboks......but it helps! :D
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Does anyone else think that apart from his 2 tries, Williams was actually pretty s**t? A bit like Croft and his 2 tries.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Isaac4leinster wrote:Does anyone else think that apart from his 2 tries, Williams was actually pretty s**t? A bit like Croft and his 2 tries.
He had a few decent runs and wasn't too exposed defensively. He had an allright game but it was good alert play to make the tries. He teamed up well with Phillips by acting as an auxiliary scrum-half much of the time that Phillips was playing like a 4th back-row. Didn't pass much or get it wide but at least the ball was picked up quickly from the base of the ruck and the SA defence didn't have time to reset.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

wasn't bad by any means but wasn't nearly in the running for best player on the pitch
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

ronk wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:Does anyone else think that apart from his 2 tries, Williams was actually pretty s**t? A bit like Croft and his 2 tries.
He had a few decent runs and wasn't too exposed defensively. He had an allright game but it was good alert play to make the tries. He teamed up well with Phillips by acting as an auxiliary scrum-half much of the time that Phillips was playing like a 4th back-row. Didn't pass much or get it wide but at least the ball was picked up quickly from the base of the ruck and the SA defence didn't have time to reset.
I'd areee with Isaac. He had a good number of runs and chances to perform. Never got to the heights his chances deserved. It infuriated me, I hionestly thought players going and being selected for Tests based on reputations on previous years (not the current one) were confined to the rubbish bin after Sir Clive's disastrous tour.
The reasoning used above was the reasoning why when he came on in the second test it meant a huge re-shuffle of the back-line instead of a more sensible and form selection who could actually (to a Test standard) cover mroe than 1 position.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."