Lions Squad 2017

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Lions Squad 2017

Postby backrower8 » November 8th, 2016, 6:05 pm

Lions Squad...(not sure of total numbers allowed but I am going with 37)

1 - McGrath, Mako (plays both sides), Healy
2 - Hartley, Best, George
3 - Furlong, Cole, Nel
2nd Row - AWJ, Itoje (&6), Kruis, Henderson (&6), Toner (the X-factor...7ft tall went well vs ABs & also S.Africa's best EE/LdeJ/PdT)
6 - Stander
7 - Warburton, SOB (&6&8), Tipuric
8 - Vunipola, Faleteau
9 - Murray, Webb, Care
10 - Sexton, Farrell (&12), Biggar
11 - North, Zebo (&15)
12 - Henshaw (&13&15), Roberts, S Williams (&13)
13 - Davies, Joseph (&14)
14 - Watson (&15), Seymour
15 - Hogg (&10), Payne (&13)

13 Irish; 11 English; 10 Welsh; 3 Scots

Captaincy candidates: Hartley, Best, AWJ, Sam, Murray...probably Hartley but might Murray be a 'captaincy bolter' as the most likely test starter and one of 26 Celts?
Last edited by backrower8 on November 8th, 2016, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backrower8
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 288
Joined: December 4th, 2006, 7:13 pm
Location: Blackrock

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby backrower8 » November 8th, 2016, 6:08 pm

Matchday 23

McGrath Hartley Furlong
AWJ Toner (that height is irresistable...isn't it?)
Itoje Vunipola Warburton

Murray Sexton

North Henshaw Davies Watson

Hogg

Subs: Best, Healy, Mako (TH...long shot), Henderson (4,5,6), SOB/Stander (6,7,8), Webb, Farrell (10&12), Zebo (11, 14, 15)

Healy and Mako are both very dynamic players as are Henderson and O'Brien

I obviously have my green and blue goggles on!
backrower8
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 288
Joined: December 4th, 2006, 7:13 pm
Location: Blackrock

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby wixfjord » November 8th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Does Mako Vunipola play both positions?? Since when??
wixfjord
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2954
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby erskinechilders » November 9th, 2016, 12:05 pm

I agree with a lot of that squad. Few changes I would make would be : Faletau at 6, Itoje in the second row ahead of Toner. Joseph at 13 and Payne on the bench ahead of Zebo. I would also prefer a regular tight head on the bench ahead of Mako. Therefore starting Cole and Furlong to finish!
erskinechilders
Bookworm
 
Posts: 232
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 5:13 pm

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby Laighin Break » November 11th, 2016, 11:39 am

I'll watch the Lions tour but my only interest really is how many Irish players make the squad and matchday 23. Wouldn't be disappointed with a series loss, even a 3-0 loss.

There's talk now that Schmidt may be asked to join their coaching team. I really hope he doesn't. He mentioned he'd be delighted for Andy Farrell to join so he can keep an eye on how the Irish lads do and report back, while Schmidt focuses on the lads in US and Japan tour. I think this is definitely the right option.
I don't want Schmidt sharing a single thing with Gatland on how to beat NZ.
Last edited by Laighin Break on November 14th, 2016, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laighin Break
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 426
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 9:35 am
Location: Scandinavia

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby Ruckedtobits » November 11th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Laighin Break wrote:I'll watch the Lions tour but my only interest really is how many Irish players make the squad and matchday 23. Wouldn't be disappointed with a series loss, even a 3-0 loss.

There's talk now that Schmidt may be asked to join their coaching team. I really hope he doesn't. He mentioned he'd be delighted for Andy Farrell to join so he can keep an eye on how the Irish lads do and report back, while Schmidt focuses on the lada in US and Japan tour. I think this is definitely the right option.
I don't want Schmidt sharing a single thing with Gatland on how to beat NZ.


+1
Absolutely. International rugby is a sport run like a business. The intellectual property that is the cumulative thoughts, planning and preparation by the Nartional Management Team should not be pi@*ed away on the ego trip and financial re-distribution, which a Lions Tour represents. Good luck to the Irish guys who get selected but I hope they consider it a reconnisance mission to learn as much as possible about local (and other) opponents.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2872
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby erskinechilders » November 15th, 2016, 12:35 pm

On the basis of the November Internationals it'll be a straight shoot between Murray and Youngs for the SH position atm. Murray ahead so far!
erskinechilders
Bookworm
 
Posts: 232
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 5:13 pm

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby paddyor » November 15th, 2016, 2:58 pm

erskinechilders wrote:On the basis of the November Internationals it'll be a straight shoot between Murray and Youngs for the SH position atm. Murray ahead so far!

On the basis of the nov intls none of the Welsh players would have made the 2013 Lions squad.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2777
Joined: November 17th, 2012, 12:48 am

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby Ruckedtobits » November 15th, 2016, 4:30 pm

paddyor wrote:
erskinechilders wrote:On the basis of the November Internationals it'll be a straight shoot between Murray and Youngs for the SH position atm. Murray ahead so far!

On the basis of the nov intls none of the Welsh players would have made the 2013 Lions squad.


Liam Williams & Rhys Webb
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2872
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby Ruckedtobits » November 15th, 2016, 4:31 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:
paddyor wrote:
erskinechilders wrote:On the basis of the November Internationals it'll be a straight shoot between Murray and Youngs for the SH position atm. Murray ahead so far!

On the basis of the nov intls none of the Welsh players would have made the 2013 Lions squad.


Liam Williams & Rhys Webb


Misread that quote @paddyor. Apologies.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2872
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby blockhead » November 16th, 2016, 2:22 pm

The Telegraph picks its Lions squad early;

The Daily Telegraph's Lions squad:

FRONT ROW: Jack McGrath (Ireland), Mako Vunipola (England), Cian Healy (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Gethin Jenkins (Wales), WP Nel (Scotland), Dylan Hartley (England), Rory Best (Ireland), Jamie George (England).

SECOND ROW: Alun Wyn-Jones (Wales), Maro Itoje (England), Devin Toner (Ireland), George Kruis (England), Joe Launchbury (England).

BACK ROW: Chris Robshaw (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), James Haskell (England), Sam Warburton (Wales), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland).

HALF BACK: Rhys Webb (Wales), Conor Murray (Ireland), Ben Youngs (England), Dan Biggar (Wales), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Owen Farrell (England).

CENTRE: Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Jonathan Joseph (England), Jonathan Davies (Wales).

BACK THREE: George North (Wales), Liam Williams (Wales), Anthony Watson (England), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Rob Kearney (Ireland).


7 Leinster guys.
I'd be quite happy if the Lions were dominated by English and Welsh tbh. Leave our guys a chance for a good preseason and hopefully a good season in blue & green, as well as red & white too of course.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3813
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby erskinechilders » November 16th, 2016, 6:26 pm

Few changes I would have made to the Telegraphs' squad:

Furlong for Jenkins
Jonny Gray for Launchbury
O'Brien for Robshaw
George Ford / Finn Russell for Biggar
Payne & Elliot Daly for Roberts & Kearney
erskinechilders
Bookworm
 
Posts: 232
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 5:13 pm

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby Lar » November 17th, 2016, 6:24 pm

Paper never refused ink....
User avatar
Lar
Mullet
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: May 18th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby Ruckedtobits » November 17th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Lar wrote:Paper never refused ink....


In the circumstances, maybe it could read:
Papers never refused (dr)ink
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey
 
Posts: 2872
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby erskinechilders » November 22nd, 2016, 6:07 pm

Revised Lions squad after the weekend, changes in bold.

FRONT ROW: Jack McGrath (Ireland), Mako Vunipola (England), Cian Healy (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Tadhg Furlong ( Ireland ), WP Nel (Scotland), Dylan Hartley (England), Rory Best (Ireland), Jamie George (England).

SECOND ROW: Alun Wyn-Jones (Wales), Maro Itoje (England), Devin Toner (Ireland), George Kruis (England), Jonny Gray ( Scotland )

BACK ROW: CJ Stander (Ireland), Sean O'Brien ( Ireland ) , James Haskell ( England ), Sam Warburton (Wales), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland).

HALF BACK: Rhys Webb (Wales), Conor Murray (Ireland), Ben Youngs (England), George Ford ( England ), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Owen Farrell (England).

CENTRE: Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Jonathan Joseph (England), Huw Jones ( Scotland ).

BACK THREE: George North (Wales), Liam Williams (Wales), Anthony Watson (England), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Jared Payne ( Ireland )
erskinechilders
Bookworm
 
Posts: 232
Joined: April 2nd, 2013, 5:13 pm

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby TerenureJim » November 24th, 2016, 11:44 pm

I think Trimble is possibly in with a shout if he keeps up current vein of form
User avatar
TerenureJim
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 4933
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 10:09 am

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby blockhead » November 27th, 2016, 2:07 pm

POC speaking on Sky after the game picked the forwards he thinks should be on the Lions squad.
McGrath, Furlong, Best, Heaslip and SOB.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3813
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby Peg Leg » November 27th, 2016, 3:33 pm

blockhead wrote:POC speaking on Sky after the game picked the forwards he thinks should be on the Lions squad.
McGrath, Furlong, Best, Heaslip and SOB.

I'd say toners delighted with that endorsement
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 7972
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby blockhead » November 27th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Peg Leg wrote:
blockhead wrote:POC speaking on Sky after the game picked the forwards he thinks should be on the Lions squad.
McGrath, Furlong, Best, Heaslip and SOB.

I'd say toners delighted with that endorsement

He actually gave a ringing endorsement of TTT when discuussing his picks. I think he was limited to 5 choices.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
User avatar
blockhead
Malcolm O'Kelly
 
Posts: 3813
Joined: December 14th, 2011, 2:20 pm
Location: Bastardstown, Co. Wexford

Re: Lions Squad 2017

Postby Peg Leg » November 27th, 2016, 5:14 pm

blockhead wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
blockhead wrote:POC speaking on Sky after the game picked the forwards he thinks should be on the Lions squad.
McGrath, Furlong, Best, Heaslip and SOB.

I'd say toners delighted with that endorsement

He actually gave a ringing endorsement of TTT when discuussing his picks. I think he was limited to 5 choices.

In that case, I'd be dropping sob for toner
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
User avatar
Peg Leg
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 7972
Joined: February 1st, 2010, 6:08 pm
Location: Procrastinasia

Next

Return to British and Irish Lions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest