Getting back to Bristol

For Ticket, Travel and Accommodation Offers and Requests.

Moderators: moderators, Ticket Moderators '11

Forum rules
Forum for requesting or offering Heineken Cup Final Tickets, Travel and Accommodation. Anyone suspected of being involved in buying or selling these for above face value will be immediately banned.

All posts in this area of the site require the approval of a moderator.
- No Email addresses or phone numbers. PM ONLY
- Always list the price in your post. Failure to do so will result in your post being rejected.
- Offers / Requests: Once sorted out, please edit your post and change the text of the post to SORTED or GONE. We will then remove the post.
- No Topic spamming (same request / offer in multiple topics) - all will be removed.
- No Bumping your offers / requests (quoting own post to stay tickets still needed / offered, etc.) - all will be removed.

Getting back to Bristol

Postby mack539 » May 3rd, 2011, 2:42 pm

Hey everyone,
I booked a hotel in Bristol so looking for some advice on getting back to it after the final.
I saw that the OLSC have said that the last train back is 10pm so any other suggestions would be appreciated.
BTW if anyone wants to share a cab back let me know.

Thanks
John
mack539
Beginner
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 20th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby PapaSmurf » May 3rd, 2011, 3:45 pm

Last time i was there in 08 for the munster final we got a taxi back!!
I think it worked out at £10- £15 each for a taxi of 4 which wasnt too bad!!
Also i would suggest booking tickets for the train in from bristol to cardiff early as it was a nightmare when we were there!!
Q's were massive and as a result we were rushing for kick off considering we tried to go in 1st thing in the morning!!
Hope this helps!
PapaSmurf
Learner
 
Posts: 72
Joined: January 29th, 2006, 7:47 pm
Location: The Boglands of Ireland! (Offaly)

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby mack539 » May 3rd, 2011, 3:53 pm

Cheers papasmurf,
I wouldn't have thought about booking the train on the way out, great tip.
mack539
Beginner
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 20th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby Degz » May 3rd, 2011, 4:17 pm

mack539 wrote:Cheers papasmurf,
I wouldn't have thought about booking the train on the way out, great tip.


Beware, if you book in advance, you'll have to use one of the ticket machines at the station to collect (unless you get e-tickets), and there'll be queues galore there too.
User avatar
Degz
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2280
Joined: May 16th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby sheepshagger » May 3rd, 2011, 4:27 pm

Degz wrote:
mack539 wrote:Cheers papasmurf,
I wouldn't have thought about booking the train on the way out, great tip.


Beware, if you book in advance, you'll have to use one of the ticket machines at the station to collect (unless you get e-tickets), and there'll be queues galore there too.


Last time I booked a train to Cardiff it it let me print the ticket myself at home, not sure if that option is still avaliable or not.
User avatar
sheepshagger
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12039
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 1:47 pm
Location: The nearest KFC licking my fingers

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby Degz » May 3rd, 2011, 4:34 pm

sheepshagger wrote:
Degz wrote:
mack539 wrote:Cheers papasmurf,
I wouldn't have thought about booking the train on the way out, great tip.


Beware, if you book in advance, you'll have to use one of the ticket machines at the station to collect (unless you get e-tickets), and there'll be queues galore there too.


Last time I booked a train to Cardiff it it let me print the ticket myself at home, not sure if that option is still avaliable or not.


Yeah, think it depends if you're travelling a "major" route. I can print our tickets from Brum to Cardiff, not sure if Bristol would be allowed. May depend on whether it's a commuter train, which mine is, or if it's a slow commuter train, which Bristol - Cardiff may be...
User avatar
Degz
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2280
Joined: May 16th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby madridlion » May 3rd, 2011, 9:01 pm

We are getting 20.25 back to Bristol as all later trains seem to be booked out, First Great Western is the website you need.
madridlion
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 415
Joined: March 9th, 2009, 11:27 pm

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby TrapperChamonix » May 4th, 2011, 9:12 am

PapaSmurf wrote:Last time i was there in 08 for the munster final we got a taxi back!!
I think it worked out at £10- £15 each for a taxi of 4 which wasnt too bad!!


Did you just hail a taxi on the street and get them to take you to Bristol or did you have to book? I'm intending on staying in Cardiff till late and getting taxi back to Bristol. Do I need to book a taxi in advance?

tx
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
User avatar
TrapperChamonix
Mullet
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: November 12th, 2007, 4:27 pm

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby redalan » May 4th, 2011, 3:21 pm

After the 2008 Final which was also a 5pm KO, it was crazy outside the railway station. They use a coral system and only let the number that can fit on a train through. Be prepared for very long delays. Taxi fares to Bristol will be expensive as there are tolls over the two Severn bridges.
Only real solution is to leave the Millenium just before the final whistle which you wont want to do if you are winning !
redalan
 
Posts: 3
Joined: May 4th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby Leoslovechild » May 4th, 2011, 3:45 pm

redalan wrote:After the 2008 Final which was also a 5pm KO, it was crazy outside the railway station. They use a coral system and only let the number that can fit on a train through. Be prepared for very long delays. Taxi fares to Bristol will be expensive as there are tolls over the two Severn bridges.
Only real solution is to leave the Millenium just before the final whistle which you wont want to do if you are winning !


Or don't rush and go for the later trains...what time was the crowd cleared by?
User avatar
Leoslovechild
Enlightened
 
Posts: 967
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:49 pm
Location: baku azerbaijan

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby redalan » May 4th, 2011, 5:10 pm

we needed to get the next and last train to Birmingham which was I think around 9pm and just made it, after queueing for 2 hours. At least Bristol is closer than Birmingham and has more trains.
redalan
 
Posts: 3
Joined: May 4th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby Leinsterman » May 16th, 2011, 10:38 am

Still appears to be tickets available to and from Bristol.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
User avatar
Leinsterman
Devin Toner
 
Posts: 8907
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Re: Getting back to Bristol

Postby sheepshagger » May 16th, 2011, 8:51 pm

redalan wrote:After the 2008 Final which was also a 5pm KO, it was crazy outside the railway station. They use a coral system and only let the number that can fit on a train through. Be prepared for very long delays. Taxi fares to Bristol will be expensive as there are tolls over the two Severn bridges.
Only real solution is to leave the Millenium just before the final whistle which you wont want to do if you are winning !


Can't speak for Bristol but have caught the last train to Birmingham a number if times for the 6N when the game KO'd at 5pm (when it's busier as welsh people are trying to get home) and it hasn't been an issue.

Sure you wait outside in a Q but when the train pulls in the gates are opened and away you go.

It's not just one line to get into the station, there a separate ones for each destination.
User avatar
sheepshagger
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12039
Joined: January 24th, 2006, 1:47 pm
Location: The nearest KFC licking my fingers


Return to Heineken Cup Final 2011

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest