Ferry Travel to Uk for final

For Ticket, Travel and Accommodation Offers and Requests.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
Forum for requesting, offering and discussing Heineken Cup Final Tickets, Travel and Accommodation. Anyone suspected of being involved in buying or selling these for above face value will be immediately banned.

Posts which breach forum rules may be edited or removed without warning
- No Email addresses or phone numbers. PM ONLY. Please note that Private Messages remain in your outbox until they have been read by the recipient.
- Always list the price in your post. Failure to do so will result in your post being rejected.
- Offers / Requests: Once sorted out, please edit your post and change the text of the post to SORTED or GONE. We will then remove the post.
- No Topic spamming (same request / offer in multiple topics) - all will be removed.
- No Bumping your offers / requests (quoting own post to say tickets still needed / offered, etc.) - all will be removed.

Re: Ferry Travel to Uk for final

Postby Leinster_Dave » May 9th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Guys whats the approx time journey from holyhead to anywhere around London doing the speed limit all the way down and also whats the best motorway to take as some people are coming up with different motorways, will be doing the car trip down for the first time so would be good to knowaswell as for other people who may want the info
Leinster_Dave
Bookworm

Postby Hornet » May 9th, 2012, 7:20 pm

Leinster_Dave wrote:Guys whats the approx time journey from holyhead to anywhere around London doing the speed limit all the way down and also whats the best motorway to take as some people are coming up with different motorways, will be doing the car trip down for the first time so would be good to knowaswell as for other people who may want the info

Allow 6 hours with comfort breaks. M6/M1 is the easiest for a first timer. Brings you into London in the Brent Cross area. It depends also where you are staying as well. All the major roads within the M25 will be busy. Take a good Map. (Don't rely on Sat Nav, and avoid Central London otherwise you will be hit by the congestion charge).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Hornet
Mullet

Postby rpurfield » May 9th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Hornet wrote:
rpurfield wrote:i booked sail rail with irish ferries.now id looked at stena and they had the train times up on their site but they arent right, so if anyone looked at that check it out before ya travel!!gonna be leaving london an hour earlier than i thought

Probably still taking the times from the winter timetable. New GB summer timetable starts 14th May. Links below are timetables from Holyhead and Fishguard to London commencing 14th May.
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20d ... %20081.pdf (Holyhead)
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20d ... %20128.pdf (Fishguard)

cant make head nor tail of that with all the symbols im guessing the v and a etc are for virgin or arriva so i checked virgins site and the 9.10 is a weekday service from their timetables.according to the virgin site their timetables up till september too
rpurfield
Beginner

Postby Hornet » May 9th, 2012, 11:09 pm

rpurfield wrote:
Hornet wrote:
rpurfield wrote:i booked sail rail with irish ferries.now id looked at stena and they had the train times up on their site but they arent right, so if anyone looked at that check it out before ya travel!!gonna be leaving london an hour earlier than i thought

Probably still taking the times from the winter timetable. New GB summer timetable starts 14th May. Links below are timetables from Holyhead and Fishguard to London commencing 14th May.
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20d ... %20081.pdf (Holyhead)
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse%20d ... %20128.pdf (Fishguard)

cant make head nor tail of that with all the symbols im guessing the v and a etc are for virgin or arriva so i checked virgins site and the 9.10 is a weekday service from their timetables.according to the virgin site their timetables up till september too

VT is Virgin Trains and the 09:10 is, in effect the Boat Train for Ireland. The symbols above that service as shown on the link Timetable just show that there is 1st Class available, you can make a seat reservation (not compulsory), and there is a Buffet Car.
Hornet
Mullet

Postby Blåränderna » May 10th, 2012, 10:36 am

Hornet wrote:
Leinster_Dave wrote:Guys whats the approx time journey from holyhead to anywhere around London doing the speed limit all the way down and also whats the best motorway to take as some people are coming up with different motorways, will be doing the car trip down for the first time so would be good to knowaswell as for other people who may want the info

Allow 6 hours with comfort breaks. M6/M1 is the easiest for a first timer. Brings you into London in the Brent Cross area. It depends also where you are staying as well. All the major roads within the M25 will be busy. Take a good Map. (Don't rely on Sat Nav, and avoid Central London otherwise you will be hit by the congestion charge).

If we're setting out from Holyhead around 7am do you still think its a 6 hour trip?
Blåränderna
Graduate

Postby Hornet » May 10th, 2012, 12:15 pm

Blåränderna wrote:
Hornet wrote:

If we're setting out from Holyhead around 7am do you still think its a 6 hour trip?

I base my journey times on how long it takes me to get from Holyhead to the M25 on a Motorcycle. A quick journey for me would be 3 hours 45 minutes with one fuel stop going A55/A5/M54/M6/M5/M42/M40. A lazy journey for me avoiding the Motorway takes around 6 Hours. I don't stop off en route for anything other than fuel. I recently did a car trip (Thursday before the Clermont S/F) from Wrexham (about 2 hours from Holyhead) to Slough (12 miles from Twickenham) following most of my quick route, at legal speeds and a break, and it took 4 Hours.
Hornet
Mullet

Postby Blåränderna » May 10th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Hornet wrote:I base my journey times on how long it takes me to get from Holyhead to the M25 on a Motorcycle. A quick journey for me would be 3 hours 45 minutes with one fuel stop going A55/A5/M54/M6/M5/M42/M40. A lazy journey for me avoiding the Motorway takes around 6 Hours. I don't stop off en route for anything other than fuel. I recently did a car trip (Thursday before the Clermont S/F) from Wrexham (about 2 hours from Holyhead) to Slough (12 miles from Twickenham) following most of my quick route, at legal speeds and a break, and it took 4 Hours.

Excellent, so what route would you recommend for getting there? A lot of people seem to be suggesting not to go the M1. We're staying in Hounslow. Sorry for all the questions but you seem pretty knowledgable on the British motorway system.
Blåränderna
Graduate

Postby Hornet » May 10th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Blåränderna wrote:
Hornet wrote:I base my journey times on how long it takes me to get from Holyhead to the M25 on a Motorcycle. A quick journey for me would be 3 hours 45 minutes with one fuel stop going A55/A5/M54/M6/M5/M42/M40. A lazy journey for me avoiding the Motorway takes around 6 Hours. I don't stop off en route for anything other than fuel. I recently did a car trip (Thursday before the Clermont S/F) from Wrexham (about 2 hours from Holyhead) to Slough (12 miles from Twickenham) following most of my quick route, at legal speeds and a break, and it took 4 Hours.

Excellent, so what route would you recommend for getting there? A lot of people seem to be suggesting not to go the M1. We're staying in Hounslow. Sorry for all the questions but you seem pretty knowledgable on the British motorway system.

Best route is to is to pick up the M40 south of Birmingham (as per my quick journey). You can either then pick up the M25 at Junction 1A (Signposted M25(S), M4, M23, Heathrow) then head south to Junction 15 (Signposted London (W & C), Heathrow Terminal 1, 2 & 3). Pick up the M4 towards London to Junction 3 (Signposted A312, Hounslow). Come off hear and go right at the roundabout on to the A312 (Parkway). Go down to the A4 roundabout. Turn left and you are a mile away from Hounslow. You can avoid the M25 by coming off the M40 at Junction 4 and go right at the roundabout (Follow signs for Maidenhead), onto the A404 which will bring you down to the M4, (Follow signs for London, Windsor Slough). Then up the M4 to London to Junction 3 (as above). BTW when you get to the A4 dont forget to duck. If Heathrow is using the Northerly runway for arrivals you will be right underneath aircraft on final approach. Seeing the "Heavy's" (A340, A380, B747, B777) coming in on final approach at that point (they are about a mile from the Runway), can be pretty awesome.

Edit I take it from another post that you are staying at the Master Robert. That is on the A4 heading into London. Once you have turned left onto the A4 continue along to the next roundabout. Follow the main A4 turning slightly to the left onto a long straight (Dual Carriageway). Don't follow the signs into Hounslow at this point. The Master Robert can be found at the next Junction on the Left about 1Km after starting up the long straight. (The Master Robert takes me back to the 1970's. I use to drink in there on the odd occasion).
Hornet
Mullet

Postby Blåränderna » May 10th, 2012, 2:25 pm

Hornet wrote:
Blåränderna wrote:

Best route is to is to pick up the M40 south of Birmingham (as per my quick journey). You can either then pick up the M25 at Junction 1A (Signposted M25(S), M4, M23, Heathrow) then head south to Junction 15 (Signposted London (W & C), Heathrow Terminal 1, 2 & 3). Pick up the M4 towards London to Junction 3 (Signposted A312, Hounslow). Come off hear and go right at the roundabout on to the A312 (Parkway). Go down to the A4 roundabout. Turn left and you are a mile away from Hounslow. You can avoid the M25 by coming off the M40 at Junction 4 and go right at the roundabout (Follow signs for Maidenhead), onto the A404 which will bring you down to the M4, (Follow signs for London, Windsor Slough). Then up the M4 to London to Junction 3 (as above). BTW when you get to the A4 dont forget to duck. If Heathrow is using the Northerly runway for arrivals you will be right underneath aircraft on final approach. Seeing the "Heavy's" (A340, A380, B747, B777) coming in on final approach at that point (they are about a mile from the Runway), can be pretty awesome.

Edit I take it from another post that you are staying at the Master Robert. That is on the A4 heading into London. Once you have turned left onto the A4 continue along to the next roundabout. Follow the main A4 turning slightly to the left onto a long straight (Dual Carriageway). Don't follow the signs into Hounslow at this point. The Master Robert can be found at the next Junction on the Left about 1Km after starting up the long straight. (The Master Robert takes me back to the 1970's. I use to drink in there on the odd occasion).

Wow! That's excellent, thanks so much!
Blåränderna
Graduate

Postby rpurfield » May 10th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Hornet wrote:VT is Virgin Trains and the 09:10 is, in effect the Boat Train for Ireland. The symbols above that service as shown on the link Timetable just show that there is 1st Class available, you can make a seat reservation (not compulsory), and there is a Buffet Car.

fair enough makes sense i didnt notice the big monday to friday in the top corner though of that link the sunday service is different :wink:
rpurfield
Beginner

Postby sco88 » May 12th, 2012, 11:47 am

getting the 8.05 ferry on friday morning. does any one know how strict ferries are with their checkin times? they say 30 min beforehand.
sco88

Previous

Return to Heineken Cup Final 2012