Bringing Flags on Ryanair Flights

For Ticket, Travel and Accommodation Offers and Requests.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
Forum for requesting, offering and discussing Heineken Cup Final Tickets, Travel and Accommodation. Anyone suspected of being involved in buying or selling these for above face value will be immediately banned.

Posts which breach forum rules may be edited or removed without warning
- No Email addresses or phone numbers. PM ONLY. Please note that Private Messages remain in your outbox until they have been read by the recipient.
- Always list the price in your post. Failure to do so will result in your post being rejected.
- Offers / Requests: Once sorted out, please edit your post and change the text of the post to SORTED or GONE. We will then remove the post.
- No Topic spamming (same request / offer in multiple topics) - all will be removed.
- No Bumping your offers / requests (quoting own post to say tickets still needed / offered, etc.) - all will be removed.

Bringing Flags on Ryanair Flights

Postby Amz » May 15th, 2012, 10:08 am

Do Ryanair allow you to bring flags on board?

Won't fit in hand luggage and don't know if I want to risk not having a couple of flags.

If they don't allow it, will the fabulous OLSC have flags in the supporters village as they did last year?
Amz
Mullet

Re: Bringing Flags on Ryanair Flights

Postby Blåränderna » May 15th, 2012, 10:42 am

I'd say cut the poles down as short as possible, you know what Ryanair are like and they'll try to charge you for anything they see as surplus baggage.
Blåränderna
Graduate

Postby Scott » May 15th, 2012, 10:45 am

Ryanair are fine with flags will allow you carry onto plane
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Scott
Girvan Dempsey

Postby sheepshagger » May 15th, 2012, 10:45 am

Flags cleared by DAA - normally perfectly fine on Ryanair flights.
sheepshagger
Shane Horgan

Postby sarah_lennon » May 15th, 2012, 10:50 am

Typically Ryanair will let you carry whatever you want onto a plane - so long as you only have one bag. I remember them telling a couple to take their newspapers out of a plastic bag and carry them on. It was truly the stupidest thing I'd ever seen.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
sarah_lennon
Leo Cullen

Postby Amz » May 15th, 2012, 10:56 am

That's great, thanks guys!
Amz
Mullet

Postby AdamK » May 15th, 2012, 12:01 pm

I flew Aerlingus, Ryanair and Eazyjet to Bordeaux and had no issues with flags whatsoever.

if push came to shove you can just take the pole off and throw it out.
AdamK
Girvan Dempsey

Postby honeyec » May 15th, 2012, 12:43 pm

I carried my flags onboard going to Glasgow in January with no problems whatsoever. Having said that, the flight was quite underbooked and with Ryanair in general it really does seem to boil down to how much of a Nazi the gate agent on the day is...
"Yeah I been starvin' 'em, teasing 'em, singing off-key - me may my mo, me mo my may..."
honeyec
Mullet

Postby mtleinster » May 15th, 2012, 1:09 pm

I have always travelled with the flag sticking out the top of my backpack, and never had an issue. (that also takes care of the one item of hand luggage).

I think it boils down to compassion for other passangers. If you are waving it in the terminal, you might have a problem. if it is wrapped up in 2 elastic bands you should be fine. they have never stopped an elderly passanger from taking on a walking stick
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
mtleinster
Enlightened

Postby R-Dog » May 15th, 2012, 1:57 pm

mtleinster wrote: they have never stopped an elderly passanger from taking on a walking stick

Light bulb going off in Mr. O'Learys head right about now!
R-Dog
Knowledgeable

Postby rpurfield » May 16th, 2012, 11:16 am

kinda relevant to this so ill ask here, how will twickenham be for bringing in wooden flagpoles?the father in law is keen to dig out a couple of flags but he said theyre on wooden poles so hes not sure if theyll be let into the ground
rpurfield
Beginner

Postby Xanthippe » May 16th, 2012, 12:31 pm

rpurfield wrote:kinda relevant to this so ill ask here, how will twickenham be for bringing in wooden flagpoles?the father in law is keen to dig out a couple of flags but he said theyre on wooden poles so hes not sure if theyll be let into the ground

No mention in the rules about there being an issue with wooden poles - they just need to be under 1.5 meter long apparently

RFU wrote:
    18. Glass bottles, glass receptacles, cans, pyrotechnics, flags on sticks or poles which stick or pole measures more than 1.5 metres in length, or any other item which, in the reasonable opinion of the RFU, its servants or agents, could be used as a weapon or cause a nuisance to others, are not allowed within the Stadium. All promotional, commercial, political or religious items of whatever nature, including but not limited to banners, signs, symbols and leaflets are prohibited and may not be brought into the Stadium unless authorised by the RFU.

Stadium Ground Rules
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Xanthippe
Malcolm O'Kelly

Postby AdamK » May 16th, 2012, 12:47 pm

No point in bringing the Bodhrans I take it? I went out of my way to buy a decent 15" for Bordeaux, nuisance to travel with as I had little to no room in the backpack after squeezing it in, and then when we went to go into the ground we were told they were forbidden and had to leave them at the door! Fiddlesticks!
AdamK
Girvan Dempsey

Postby Hickiefan » May 16th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Twickenham has the most anal security checks of any stadium I've been to. On different visits I had hand luggage size cans of hairspray and deodorant 'tested' and had to stand through a committee meeting as to whether my 180ml zoom lens was professional standard and therefore not allowed. Seriously!

That said, it depends who you get as on other occasions I have not been stopped at all. But when they do...
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Hickiefan
Devin Toner

Postby Hornet » May 16th, 2012, 1:56 pm

They are likely to be more anal this weekend, what with the security increasing for the Olympic's and the threat from Dissident Republican's. UK Ports and Airports are likely to be a bit more fun getting through as well. (I sympathise with those going through Holyhead. The North Wales Gestapo must be rubbing their hands with the thought of all those that they can, and will, from experience, piss off). I'm getting into England early (tomorrow) and avoiding the potential of UK Border Control to f**k things up. (An inept a bunch of people as you will ever meet).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Hornet
Mullet

Postby rpurfield » May 16th, 2012, 9:21 pm

Xanthippe wrote:
rpurfield wrote:kinda relevant to this so ill ask here, how will twickenham be for bringing in wooden flagpoles?the father in law is keen to dig out a couple of flags but he said theyre on wooden poles so hes not sure if theyll be let into the ground

No mention in the rules about there being an issue with wooden poles - they just need to be under 1.5 meter long apparently

RFU wrote:
    18. Glass bottles, glass receptacles, cans, pyrotechnics, flags on sticks or poles which stick or pole measures more than 1.5 metres in length, or any other item which, in the reasonable opinion of the RFU, its servants or agents, could be used as a weapon or cause a nuisance to others, are not allowed within the Stadium. All promotional, commercial, political or religious items of whatever nature, including but not limited to banners, signs, symbols and leaflets are prohibited and may not be brought into the Stadium unless authorised by the RFU.

Stadium Ground Rules

cheers.why did i not think of looking up the ground rules :oops:
rpurfield
Beginner

Postby nelly the elephant » May 17th, 2012, 8:03 pm

Hickiefan wrote:Twickenham has the most anal security checks of any stadium I've been to. On different visits I had hand luggage size cans of hairspray and deodorant 'tested' and had to stand through a committee meeting as to whether my 180ml zoom lens was professional standard and therefore not allowed. Seriously!

That said, it depends who you get as on other occasions I have not been stopped at all. But when they do...

Cheers HF....you've made my mind up for me about bringing my 450 camera & 70-300 lens with me on the trip.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
nelly the elephant
Girvan Dempsey

Postby Avenger » May 21st, 2012, 7:19 pm

They weren't letting flagpoles on today in Bristol. Quite ratty about it too. Told us we could bring them on for £50 so left them there.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
Avenger
Malcolm O'Kelly

Postby Amz » May 21st, 2012, 7:32 pm

Wow, that's strange, we got flight from Bristol at 8am this morning and got through with 4 flags.
Amz
Mullet

Postby sheepshagger » May 22nd, 2012, 11:14 am

You must have got a knob as have seen flags carried on that route before.
sheepshagger
Shane Horgan

Next

Return to Heineken Cup Final 2012