Travel and Accommodation Chat

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
Forum rules
Forum for requesting, offering and discussing Champions Cup Final Tickets, Travel and Accommodation. Anyone suspected of being involved in buying or selling these for above face value will be immediately banned.

Posts which breach forum rules may be edited or removed without warning
- No Email addresses or phone numbers. PM ONLY. Please note that Private Messages remain in your outbox until they have been read by the recipient.
- Always list the price in your post. Failure to do so will result in your post being rejected.
- Offers / Requests: Once sorted out, please edit your post and change the text of the post to SORTED or GONE. We will then remove the post.
- No Topic spamming (same request / offer in multiple topics) - all will be removed.
- No Bumping your offers / requests (quoting own post to say tickets still needed / offered, etc.) - all will be removed.

Travel and Accommodation Chat

Postby Hornet » April 11th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Just a heads up for those weighing up their options to go to the game. Santander had rooms available yesterday, for Finals weekend from €40. Booked Bus from Santander to Bilbao yesterday, for €7.77 single. (They are fairly regular and run back to Santander late in the evening). Bus takes 90 minutes. If booking a Bus, go on the ALSA website. (there is an English version. Link below). It's fairly straightforward to book, (although the site is pretty lethargic, you will get there). Note that you will need your Passport Number (which will appear on your ticket). Also the site will only take Spanish issued Credit/Debit cards, but will take payment via PayPal. (Took me three attempts, before a google search told me of the reason my cc kept being refused). Ticket then can be downloaded for printing. ALSA also operate services to Santander/Bilbao from Madrid Airport and Barcelona, and tickets can be booked as above. The Temporary Bus Station in Bilbao, (they are building a new one), is literally yards from the Stadium.

https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Hornet
Mullet

Re: Champions Cup Final Bilbao

Postby footrush » April 12th, 2018, 8:36 am

Hornet wrote:Just a heads up for those weighing up their options to go to the game. Santander had rooms available yesterday, for Finals weekend from €40. Booked Bus from Santander to Bilbao yesterday, for €7.77 single. (They are fairly regular and run back to Santander late in the evening). Bus takes 90 minutes. If booking a Bus, go on the ALSA website. (there is an English version. Link below). It's fairly straightforward to book, (although the site is pretty lethargic, you will get there). Note that you will need your Passport Number (which will appear on your ticket). Also the site will only take Spanish issued Credit/Debit cards, but will take payment via PayPal. (Took me three attempts, before a google search told me of the reason my cc kept being refused). Ticket then can be downloaded for printing. ALSA also operate services to Santander/Bilbao from Madrid Airport and Barcelona, and tickets can be booked as above. The Temporary Bus Station in Bilbao, (they are building a new one), is literally yards from the Stadium.

https://www.alsa.com/en/web/bus/home

Bus booked from Bilbao to Santander airport on Sun 13th May cheers Hornet !.
Flying wedge
footrush
Cian Healy

Bilbao

Postby jggy2003 » April 22nd, 2018, 6:25 am

Now the rush will be on to get to Bilbao and the policy of having the finals in 'non rugby towns' rather than rotating around the six nations is coming home to roost. How much is the competition enhanced by a town like Bilbao being bewildered by an invasion of followers of all the major rugby clubs in Europe descending on it? More to the point, how many followers of this competition are going to miss out on a final because the host town is too hard to get to? Newcastle is hardly an inspired choice for next year either.
By the way any suggestions about getting there (Bilbao) without being fleeced?
jggy2003
Beginner

Re: Bilbao

Postby outcast eddie » April 22nd, 2018, 9:18 am

Being discussed for some time now in the On the Road thread.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24914&start=60
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
outcast eddie
Enlightened

Postby artaneboy » April 22nd, 2018, 9:18 am

jggy2003 wrote:Now the rush will be on to get to Bilbao and the policy of having the finals in 'non rugby towns' rather than rotating around the six nations is coming home to roost. How much is the competition enhanced by a town like Bilbao being bewildered by an invasion of followers of all the major rugby clubs in Europe descending on it? More to the point, how many followers of this competition are going to miss out on a final because the host town is too hard to get to? Newcastle is hardly an inspired choice for next year either.

No. If you do manage to get there- and that’ll cost ye in itself, for accomodation you will pay a kings ransom for a dog box.

Very nice art gallery there though- and the seafood is supposedly great. So if we do the business and win the bloody thing- there will be compensations.

Newcastle? Not many obvious cultural attraction benefits here- but you will be able to get to it easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Malcolm O'Kelly

Postby footrush » April 22nd, 2018, 9:27 am

jggy2003 wrote:Now the rush will be on to get to Bilbao and the policy of having the finals in 'non rugby towns' rather than rotating around the six nations is coming home to roost. How much is the competition enhanced by a town like Bilbao being bewildered by an invasion of followers of all the major rugby clubs in Europe descending on it? More to the point, how many followers of this competition are going to miss out on a final because the host town is too hard to get to? Newcastle is hardly an inspired choice for next year either.

Theres a thread on this in the on the road section it’s been going since October Santander is an option for flights accommodation, Bayonne/Biarritz for flights then stay in San Sebastien ?.
Flying wedge
footrush
Cian Healy

Postby bluebaron » April 22nd, 2018, 9:41 am

Aer Lingus announced last evening additional flights to Bilbao for ECC Final. The website has crashed and been offline since early yesterday evening. I contacted aer lingus and eventually (0905 this morning) got to speak to customer services...website down and expected to be up in one hour. The chap on the phone told me that they were unaware until I called. I asked if he could help with flight tickets and he said yes...0555 to Bilbao on 12 may @ 828 euro return!!! This is again evidence of the rip off culture in Ireland and the insanity of taking this final to such a remote rugby destination. Shame on the EPRC idiots.
bluebaron

Postby outcast eddie » April 22nd, 2018, 9:49 am

outcast eddie wrote:Being discussed for some time now in the On the Road thread.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24914&start=60
footrush wrote:

Theres a thread on this in the on the road section it’s been going since October Santander is an option for flights accommodation, Bayonne/Biarritz for flights then stay in San Sebastien ?.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
outcast eddie
Enlightened

Postby Dexter » April 22nd, 2018, 11:55 am

There also might be an issue getting tickets, even if you do get over there. There is a lottery for STHs next week, with no tickets available on general sale at this stage. I really hope not, but this always stresses me out!
Dont Panic!
Dexter
Cian Healy

Postby Oldschool » April 22nd, 2018, 4:48 pm

It's going to be very hot in Bilbao when the final is being played.
Hope we have a warm April/May in Ireland.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Shane Horgan

Postby curates_egg » April 23rd, 2018, 8:34 am

Oldschool wrote:It's going to be very hot in Bilbao when the final is being played.

I've been in the Basque country at that time of year on many occasions and it was rarely hot. Might be low to mid 20s, might be teens.
curates_egg
Cian Healy

Postby footrush » April 23rd, 2018, 9:19 am

curates_egg wrote:
Oldschool wrote:It's going to be very hot in Bilbao when the final is being played.

I've been in the Basque country at that time of year on many occasions and it was rarely hot. Might be low to mid 20s, might be teens.

Walked once through there from Bayonne to Santiago along the coast during June/July the weather can be highly unpredictable ( Bay of Biscay ) anything really bring a poncho !.
Flying wedge
footrush
Cian Healy

Postby curates_egg » April 23rd, 2018, 9:40 am

footrush wrote:
curates_egg wrote:

Walked once through there from Bayonne to Santiago along the coast during June/July the weather can be highly unpredictable ( Bay of Biscay ) anything really bring a poncho !.

Yep. The mountains suck in the rain clouds. Rains all year round. But a nice rain ;)
curates_egg
Cian Healy

Postby brotheroffrank » April 23rd, 2018, 2:02 pm

[/quote] the weather can be highly unpredictable ( Bay of Biscay ) anything really bring a poncho !.[/quote]

The one given out to season ticket holders a few years back???
brotheroffrank
Bookworm

Postby footrush » April 23rd, 2018, 4:01 pm

brotheroffrank wrote:
the weather can be highly unpredictable ( Bay of Biscay ) anything really bring a poncho !.[/quote]

The one given out to season ticket holders a few years back???[/quote]
Yep once it’s dark and not sky Blue !.
Flying wedge
footrush
Cian Healy

Postby BlueWheels » April 23rd, 2018, 4:10 pm

Prices are just crazy..... I'm out unless the Lotto comes up :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
BlueWheels
Bookworm

Re: Champions Cup Final Bilbao

Postby leinsterfan100 » April 23rd, 2018, 10:54 pm

Dublin-Barcelona-Santander with Ryanair on Thursday 10th
Santander-Barcelona-Dublin with Vueling on Monday 14th
booked at €250 all in
leinsterfan100
Knowledgeable

Postby footrush » April 24th, 2018, 9:49 am

BlueWheels wrote:Prices are just crazy..... I'm out unless the Lotto comes up :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Still possible to fly Ryanair Dublin to Barcelona Fri 11th 19.00 €86.63 Vueling Barcelona to Bilbao Sat 12th 07.00 €34.99 that’s about €140 to get there leaving on Friday evening arriving early Saturday morning, just a suggestion hope it might help ?.
Flying wedge
footrush
Cian Healy

Postby scrum25 » April 24th, 2018, 10:51 am

This might seem crazy but going via Italy works.

You can get home cheaply too from Vittoria - 1hr 15 min on bus from Bilbao

Sunday 13 May

17:00 Vittoria - Bergamo €60 Ryanair
21:15 Bergamo - Dublin €90 Ryanair

Total travel time is under 6 hours
scrum25
Knowledgeable

Postby footrush » April 24th, 2018, 11:01 am

scrum25 wrote:This might seem crazy but going via Italy works.

You can get home cheaply too from Vittoria - 1hr 15 min on bus from Bilbao

Sunday 13 May

17:00 Vittoria - Bergamo €60 Ryanair
21:15 Bergamo - Dublin €90 Ryanair

Total travel time is under 6 hours

With the one I have suggested going out that would make it €290 return out Friday evening back Sunday not that steep !.
Flying wedge
footrush
Cian Healy

Next

Return to Champions Cup Final 2018