Sevens

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: Sevens

Postby Ruckedtobits » July 16th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Beaten by Wales in S/F. Play Portugal for 3rd / 4th. Russia / Wales final.
Ruckedtobits
Girvan Dempsey

Postby Hippo » July 16th, 2017, 5:35 pm

A couple of really soft tries conceded against Wales, very disappointing after a good weekend
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Hippo
Mullet

Postby kermischocolate » July 16th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Whoop whoop- congrats on qualification for the World Cup.

Now for various reasons I'll be supporting SA, Ireland, France and Scotland in San Francisco.
kermischocolate
Enlightened

Postby arsebiscuits1 » July 18th, 2017, 11:16 am

Disappointing to lose to Wales.

But this is a team on the up.

Few more games against tougher opposition will really mature this talented group of lads.

Jordon Conroy is lightning. His acceleration over the first 10m is like nothing I have seen. I would love to see how he'll fare against some proper Sevens speedsters. Combine his pace and McGraths power when he gets fit and we have some legit danger men.

McNulty looks a big, skillful bloke. But he was exposed for pace (or possibly fitness) at times.

Timoney moves very well for a big fella. But his passing let us down once or twice.

Dardis was in a class of his own. Restarts were dropped on a coin, conversions were fantastic and the quality of his passing really stood out.

I hadn't much interest in Sevens. Didn't even watch it at the Olympics. But I've watched a lot of the girls on the world series and it's sparked my interest and can't wait to see how the lads get on at a higher level
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
arsebiscuits1
Knowledgeable

Postby kermischocolate » July 18th, 2017, 12:34 pm

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
I hadn't much interest in Sevens. Didn't even watch it at the Olympics. But I've watched a lot of the girls on the world series and it's sparked my interest and can't wait to see how the lads get on at a higher level

Some awesome highlights to be found on YouTube.

Next season should be tighter at top of Series.

It seems the format of the world cup is changing - no group stages. Instead there will be some form of elaborate knock out first two rounds so in theory you only need to play and win 4 games to win the tournament.
kermischocolate
Enlightened

Postby leinsterforever » July 18th, 2017, 2:16 pm

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Disappointing to lose to Wales.

But this is a team on the up.

Few more games against tougher opposition will really mature this talented group of lads.

Jordon Conroy is lightning. His acceleration over the first 10m is like nothing I have seen. I would love to see how he'll fare against some proper Sevens speedsters. Combine his pace and McGraths power when he gets fit and we have some legit danger men.

McNulty looks a big, skillful bloke. But he was exposed for pace (or possibly fitness) at times.

Timoney moves very well for a big fella. But his passing let us down once or twice.

Dardis was in a class of his own. Restarts were dropped on a coin, conversions were fantastic and the quality of his passing really stood out.

Jimmy O'Brien looks good too. He runs good lines and has good footwork. He's able to manufacture linebreaks, and he holds the ball in two hands and dummies to keep defenders guessing. Looks pretty fast as well.

Was McNulty caught for pace/fitness? Can't say I noticed that
leinsterforever
Graduate

Postby arsebiscuits1 » July 18th, 2017, 2:21 pm

leinsterforever wrote:Was McNulty caught for pace/fitness? Can't say I noticed that

Yeah there were 2 instances on the second day he looked flat footed and slow off the mark. He went to reclaim a restart and the opposition caught it ahead of him and his turn and chase was pretty poor. Didn't get near them.

Another one he was caught on the wrong side of a ruck (to be fair he was looking for a holding on penalty that really should have been given) but he didn't get near the player making a break.

2 instances that stand out for me.

His other contributions were top notch to be fair
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
arsebiscuits1
Knowledgeable

Previous

Return to International Rugby