Ireland v Wales 2018 6Ns

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland v Wales 2018 6Ns

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Missing my usual diet of hard-core rugby analysis from the likes of Demented Mole I came across a Podcast from the same stable (apparently the 3rd of a series).

The Feed is at:

https://soundcloud.com/user-451527103/molecast-002

Great 55+ minutes of opinion, analysis and speculation on 6N, Pro14 and Irish Provincial results and progress. Welcome back to the Demented Mole(s)!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I know injuries happen but Ireland are looking at missing Tadgh Furlong, Ian Henderson, Sean O'Brien, Robbie Henshaw and Gary Ringrose from our first choice XV. Jamie Heaslip was also Schmidt's number 8 before injury. And Jared Payne. This is a massive test of our squad depth. I don't worry about Andrew Porter or John Ryan but from a scrummaging POV, we will be very untested on the TH side.

Centre is the big worry. Aki and Farrell are fine players but rhis is the biggest game of their careers and they're playing together with very limited international experience. I genuinely fear a situation like Argentina in 2015 or Scotland in 2017. Wales will look to target Porter (illegally in many cases) and our centres, either by running at them or drawing mistakes outwide.

I really really hope I'm wrong but I can see Wales scoring tries and Ireland not. I'd have this as Wales by 6.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

With Henderson apparently likely to miss out, the fact that Donnacha Ryan is in Paris grinds my gears more than ever :x
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

What happened to Henderson?

I'm curious to see what a Toner J Ryan combo might do, it certainly has potential to boss the line out and maul, and Dillane or Roux to spring from the bench are both abrasive options
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

It's being reported in the press as hamstring trouble
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The leaked or reported team has Roux benching again which is fair enough with Dillane missing most of the camp. Conan alledgedly on bench too

Silver lining is looks like Furlong and Henderson definitely back for Scotland
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

suisse wrote:I know injuries happen but Ireland are looking at missing Tadgh Furlong, Ian Henderson, Sean O'Brien, Robbie Henshaw and Gary Ringrose from our first choice XV. Jamie Heaslip was also Schmidt's number 8 before injury. And Jared Payne. This is a massive test of our squad depth. I don't worry about Andrew Porter or John Ryan but from a scrummaging POV, we will be very untested on the TH side.

Centre is the big worry. Aki and Farrell are fine players but rhis is the biggest game of their careers and they're playing together with very limited international experience. I genuinely fear a situation like Argentina in 2015 or Scotland in 2017. Wales will look to target Porter (illegally in many cases) and our centres, either by running at them or drawing mistakes outwide.

I really really hope I'm wrong but I can see Wales scoring tries and Ireland not. I'd have this as Wales by 6.
Because of our centre situation, it's likely that McFadden will start and Conway at 23.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TerenureJim wrote:What happened to Henderson?

I'm curious to see what a Toner J Ryan combo might do, it certainly has potential to boss the line out and maul, and Dillane or Roux to spring from the bench are both abrasive options
Roux will probably get the call because he's the better scrummager.
Dillane would probably get the call if Furlong was fully fit.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:The leaked or reported team has Roux benching again which is fair enough with Dillane missing most of the camp. Conan alledgedly on bench too

Silver lining is looks like Furlong and Henderson definitely back for Scotland
Conan would be a good call.
We need his power - tough on Nordie.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I don't think it matters in what numbers our team is announced. I do not expect Keith Earls to be up against Steff Evans. Wales are going to target Jacob Stockdale all day. Keith Earls might be wearing 14 but he'll be lining up defensively against Williams, who is brilliant in the air. Williams is a potential game changer/winner.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

EOS made a good point about Ireland not really knowing what state we're in because of the nature of the first two games. I'd argue the same about Wales. Scotland were dreadful and handed them a lot of their tries, and actually caused them a lot of problems before Wales scored their first try. Then Wales really struggled to get go forward against England. Bar the disallowed try, Shingler's break, and Williams' early dive, can anyone remember Wales being much of a threat? I don't. I think they're going to be very hard to break down and am expecting a horrible arm wrestle, but I don't see them over running us as such.

Henderson is a huge loss. Himself and Ryan were outstanding in Paris but even with their ball carrying ability we struggled to get a platform for our back row to wreak havoc, so I'd worry about us in that regard on Saturday when we're missing Henderson.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

So with Larmour and Conway back with their provinces I presume that means Ferg benches
I have Bumbleflex
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

If everyone was fit I'd be confident, but looking at the list of players unavailable (for whatever reason), its a little mad to think we are in with a shout. That is a lot of talented players that are not available.

Not sure if we'll be good enough, but if we win this, we can really start talking about depth. If not, we aren't much better off than any of the world cup disappointments caused by similar injury lists.
neilinboston
Knowledgeable

Post by neilinboston »

Dave Cahill wrote:So with Larmour and Conway back with their provinces I presume that means Ferg benches
Cue outrage and lamentation!

On the rows, I’d have toner behind porter no matter who is fit. Felt when toner came on in one of the other matches the scrum improved dramatically.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Advantage Wales.

1. The centres
2. Jacob Stockdale v Liam Williams (unless Earls shifts)
3. Our bench
4. Our lack of imagination with ball
5. Warren Gatland and his coaching team.

If we win this game, with.....f%~k it. Time for a pint
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

suisse wrote:Advantage Wales.

1. The centres
2. Jacob Stockdale v Liam Williams (unless Earls shifts)
3. Our bench
4. Our lack of imagination with ball
5. Warren Gatland and his coaching team.

If we win this game, with.....f%~k it. Time for a pint
At last a positive post to lift the gloom. :wink:
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

So through injury* we are missing Furlong, Henderson, Dillane, SOB, JVDF, Heaslip, Henshaw, Ringrose, Payne from our 23, mostly starters, and arguably nearly all of them would make the Welsh 23 with most starting. Could add Jackson and Ryan to both those categories. And Zebo
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:So through injury* we are missing Furlong, Henderson, Dillane, SOB, JVDF, Heaslip, Henshaw, Ringrose, Payne from our 23, mostly starters, and arguably nearly all of them would make the Welsh 23 with most starting. Could add Jackson and Ryan to both those categories. And Zebo
All the talk before the 6Ns was about Wales' injury crisis :roll: . Makes you wonder if Gattie hasn't pulled another strike and there's still two :roll: :roll: days to go.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:So through injury* we are missing Furlong, Henderson, Dillane, SOB, JVDF, Heaslip, Henshaw, Ringrose, Payne from our 23, mostly starters, and arguably nearly all of them would make the Welsh 23 with most starting. Could add Jackson and Ryan to both those categories. And Zebo
All the talk before the 6Ns was about Wales' injury crisis :roll: . Makes you wonder if Gattie hasn't pulled another strike and there's still two :roll: :roll: days to go.
think their missing list stands at Warburton, Faletau, Webb, Davies, North
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

Even with so many missing and players like Larmour andZebo sidelined that is still a tasty team though I would not have Kearney anywhere near. We are good enough to win at home against Wales.