RWC 2019

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Re: RWC 2019

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » August 12th, 2019, 3:10 pm

I'm always amazed when players do their ACL but continue to play on for a while.

England's selection looks odd to me. Only two scrumhalves (fair enough) but one of those is Heinz who only made his debut yesterday. I don't really see the point of Francis being there even though he covers ten, Slade could do that. I thought they looked to have a very experienced side too but some of the squad have very caps, one hasn't even been capped yet. That said, their first choice team will be so hard to beat if they stay fit. If the Vunipolas and Tuilagi stay fit then I could easily see them winning it.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12146
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Ruckedtobits » August 13th, 2019, 6:46 pm

ACL injuries are a mystery but this is not the first time I've read of a rugby player doing it whilst merely kicking the ball. Tough luck on a guy who has really put himself forward very well in the past 6 months.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Morf » August 13th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Ruckedtobits wrote:ACL injuries are a mystery but this is not the first time I've read of a rugby player doing it whilst merely kicking the ball.


Are they?

I'm sure there are truckloads of contact and non-contact studies of ACL injury.

Occasionally it might have a non-standard pathology of injury but it's one of the most investigated things in the last 15 years for injury in elite sport (anecdotal observation).

I expect in 10 years time for concussion to have replaced it. /HealthSciencePedant
User avatar
Morf
Cian Healy
 
Posts: 2078
Joined: April 26th, 2011, 2:20 am

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Leezer » August 14th, 2019, 11:22 am

Hi All,

I've posted in the RWC Ticket thread, i'd be grateful if people could look and help me please!

Thanks
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
User avatar
Leezer
Enlightened
 
Posts: 778
Joined: May 21st, 2009, 3:04 pm
Location: Blackrock Baby

Re: RWC 2019

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » August 15th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Raka starting for France this weekend. He didn't look as good to me since he came back from injury (and is very vulnerable to kicks in behind) but at his best he's one of the best running threats in the world, can't wait to see how he gets on. They've gone for Medard at 15 too so maybe they're going back to a bit more experience back there after trying Ramos against us.

They really do have an excellent team on paper, their pack is savage if they're on fit and tuned in.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12146
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: RWC 2019

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » August 17th, 2019, 9:28 am

This is some performance from Jaco Peyper. How he didn't bin the NZ player who was so blatantly offside on their line after they'd already given away a couple of pens in that area is beyond me. No idea how he missed Barrett rolling back into the way of the Australian support players when Cane won the penalty near halfway either, and it sounded very much like he was trying to not give Coles a card before Joncker made it clear that he deserved one.

The HT scoreline certainly flatters NZ. They just can't seem to find solutions to the issues they've had for a while now. Sonny Bill really looks done, the balance of the back row is way off (although might improve when Cane has more games under his belt, not much grunt in the front five, and whilst Barrett did brilliantly to set up the last try I really don't think the combination of himself and Mo'unga is working.

Goal kicking looks like being a big issue for them too, shocking miss by Mo'unga on HT.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12146
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: RWC 2019

Postby cormac » August 17th, 2019, 9:34 am

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:This is some performance from Jaco Peyper. How he didn't bin the NZ player who was so blatantly offside on their line after they'd already given away a couple of pens in that area is beyond me. No idea how he missed Barrett rolling back into the way of the Australian support players when Cane won the penalty near halfway either, and it sounded very much like he was trying to not give Coles a card before Joncker made it clear that he deserved one.

The HT scoreline certainly flatters NZ. They just can't seem to find solutions to the issues they've had for a while now. Sonny Bill really looks done, the balance of the back row is way off (although might improve when Cane has more games under his belt, not much grunt in the front five, and whilst Barrett did brilliantly to set up the last try I really don't think the combination of himself and Mo'unga is working.

Goal kicking looks like being a big issue for them too, shocking miss by Mo'unga on HT.


Australia making the sloppy errors they weren't making last week. Agree about the penalty that Cane won, you could hear the utter exasperation in Hooper's voice when he was talking to him about it.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5410
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: RWC 2019

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » August 17th, 2019, 10:01 am

It was probably harsh of me not to praise their defence. Some of it has been excellent, Tuipolotu has been outstanding in that regard.

Their lineout is poor though and not sure Retallick would help all that much because IIRC it's been dodgy for a good while now.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12146
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Ruckedtobits » August 17th, 2019, 10:24 am

A week ago I was raving about how the coaching efforts of Erasmus and Mike Proudfoot had elevated the South African scrum to the top of the game, in the light of how the Aussies had manhandled the NZ scrum whilst SA were destroyed the usually dominant Argentinan pack at scrum and maul. The first half today showed just how good is the scrum coaching of Mike Kron, the reknowned NZ scrum genius.

The dominance of the NZ scrum, with two new props, Moody and Lalal'ou, and without Retallick or Barrett in the row, has been nothing short of phenomonal. The height of this demonstration was the performance of the NZ scrum on both sides of half-time with only 7 forwards when Australia conceded two scrum penalties and vital points.

I only hope that Schmidt can be convinced by Feek that a lot of time in Portugal must be devoted to Irish scrummaging. This is the sole tactical expertise that a team can display before a major tournament without fear of giving opponents an advantage. Ireland must arrive at Twickenham with their scrum capable of dominating English and Welsh scrums in successive weeks. More than any other element that will worry the Scots and be noted by NZ and SA, both potential opponents in October.

Last week-end, SA emerged as real contenders for RWC19. This weekend, with only a single game played, NZ have resumed their customary position, by both ranking and display, at the top of the RWC contenders. Australia have improved, but without forward dominance, in scrum and maul, they flatter to deceive. Cheik's team still has a long way to go to climb back to a position to really compete against their Tasman cousins.

Mike Kron, take a bow.
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on August 17th, 2019, 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: RWC 2019

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » August 17th, 2019, 10:32 am

NZ have been lethal in taking their chances. I really don't agree with the OTT praise that the commentators are giving them but their finishing, defence, and the scrum (especially with a man down) have been excellent.

Australia are so weak mentally. Once Mo'unga scored his try they seemed to lose all hope. They can be very good at making breaks deep in their own half but then look toothless closer to the try line. Folau's loss really felt in that regard.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12146
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Ruckedtobits » August 18th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Based on the various games played in August to date, my rating of the various teams to date looks like:
1. NZ
2. S Africa
3. France
4. Wales
5. Australia
6. England
7. Argentina
8. Ireland
9. Scotland
10. Japan

Lots of August games left and some very tasty encounters among the contenders listed above, so no worries yet. But certainly getting a bit worried as to whether we can ' switch on' the necessary intensity within the next four weeks.

Less worried now about who we actually select much more concerned as to whether the whole group will be underdone.
Ruckedtobits
Brian O'Driscoll
 
Posts: 4187
Joined: April 10th, 2011, 10:23 am

Re: RWC 2019

Postby dropkick » August 19th, 2019, 10:03 am

France thumping Scotland has gone under the radar a bit. Good result for us although it's only the first game out. Next weeks rematch in Scotland will give a clearer picture.


Italy looked good in their 70 point win against Russia. Russia looked very poor so that could have an effect in our group. I'd image every team will play their second choice players against Russia.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: RWC 2019

Postby cormac » August 19th, 2019, 10:31 am

dropkick wrote:France thumping Scotland has gone under the radar a bit. Good result for us although it's only the first game out. Next weeks rematch in Scotland will give a clearer picture.


Italy looked good in their 70 point win against Russia. Russia looked very poor so that could have an effect in our group. I'd image every team will play their second choice players against Russia.


Knives seem to be out for Townsend in the Scottish press.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
User avatar
cormac
Rob Kearney
 
Posts: 5410
Joined: May 24th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Re: RWC 2019

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » August 19th, 2019, 11:37 am

Noticed a big flaw with SA in their game against Argentina. I know it was a nothing game and they had a much changed side but they over commit to an awful lot of rucks, especially when there's even a slight risk of a turnover. They often had 3/4 support players plus the ball carrier on the deck and the scrumhalf waiting behind against ONE Argentinian defender.

If we end up playing them and they repeat that then I would say our midfield is really well suited to shutting them down as they run out of numbers because of it, and given that their handling isn't the best I'd let them try and get to the outside where they might not move the ball quick enough to beat us and run out of support players if they do. Leavy would be a big loss in terms of turnover but we have plenty of guys who can counter ruck and poach if necessary, and there could be huge rewards if we win it and they're down numbers elsewhere.

Like I said, maybe it was a one off, but in theory NZ could be set up well to play that with Savea and Cane on the flanks and the counter attacking game that they have. As I said a couple of days ago, I don't like the balance of that back row, but if NZ do peak in Japan and their front five shows up then it'd be interesting to see how much better they perform.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12146
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Oldschool » August 19th, 2019, 2:04 pm

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Noticed a big flaw with SA in their game against Argentina. I know it was a nothing game and they had a much changed side but they over commit to an awful lot of rucks, especially when there's even a slight risk of a turnover. They often had 3/4 support players plus the ball carrier on the deck and the scrumhalf waiting behind against ONE Argentinian defender.

If we end up playing them and they repeat that then I would say our midfield is really well suited to shutting them down as they run out of numbers because of it, and given that their handling isn't the best I'd let them try and get to the outside where they might not move the ball quick enough to beat us and run out of support players if they do. Leavy would be a big loss in terms of turnover but we have plenty of guys who can counter ruck and poach if necessary, and there could be huge rewards if we win it and they're down numbers elsewhere.

Like I said, maybe it was a one off, but in theory NZ could be set up well to play that with Savea and Cane on the flanks and the counter attacking game that they have. As I said a couple of days ago, I don't like the balance of that back row, but if NZ do peak in Japan and their front five shows up then it'd be interesting to see how much better they perform.

SA proved once again that the only way to beat NZ is to starve them of possession.
There is only one team in the world that has the capacity to beat NZ with a 50/50 share of possession.
That team is a RWC fit French team.
Both sets of backs are a notch ( or two) above the rest.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
User avatar
Oldschool
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 11848
Joined: March 27th, 2008, 2:10 pm

Re: RWC 2019

Postby dropkick » August 19th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Big blow for SA losing Coetzee. Himself and Louw are among the best at winning turnovers.
User avatar
dropkick
Mullet
 
Posts: 1504
Joined: January 2nd, 2007, 1:27 am
Location: Cork

Re: RWC 2019

Postby LeRouxIsPHat » August 20th, 2019, 12:03 am

The guy has no luck. He was just running into position for the next phase when an Argentinian was trying to get back onside and bumped into him.
User avatar
LeRouxIsPHat
Shane Horgan
 
Posts: 12146
Joined: January 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: RWC 2019

Postby Experimental » August 20th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Looks like Aphiwe Dyantyi is touch and go for the WC too, the boks definately having their fair share of injuries. Would be a blow for them
User avatar
Experimental
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 252
Joined: December 16th, 2007, 5:08 am

Re: RWC 2019

Postby jimbobjoe » August 20th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Facundo Isa not included in Argentina squad - thought he'd be one of the first names on the sheet
I'll die before I surrender, Tim.
User avatar
jimbobjoe
Mullet
 
Posts: 1102
Joined: September 16th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Re: RWC 2019

Postby bgmusic » August 20th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Nor is Imhoff.
bgmusic
Knowledgeable
 
Posts: 449
Joined: March 30th, 2006, 8:16 pm
Location: Dublin

PreviousNext

Return to International Rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: outcast eddie and 3 guests