Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Laporte told to shut up.....

Post by Flash Gordon »

Laporte told to cool it by boss

Laporte (centre) was seething after the crowd's reaction on Saturday
French rugby union chief Bernard Lapasset has criticised coach Bernard Laporte for his comments about the home crowd on Saturday.
An angry Laporte said the Parisian crowd were "bourgeois" after France's nervy 43-31 win against Ireland.

"These are clumsy words," Lapasset told French newspaper Le Parisien.

"It's normal for a coach to defend his players but you mustn't descend to excess. Bernard crossed the yellow line. He knows he has gone too far."

Laporte has subsequently apologised for his outburst.

"I spoke before I thought," Laporte told French sports newspaper L'Equipe. "I apologise for that.

"What really upset me is that they were jeering the French team when we were leading Ireland 43-3.

"They say rugby cultivates certain values, certain virtues - well then let us show that in our behaviour."

France will host the 2007 Rugby World Cup and the French authorities are keen to grow the game outside its traditional heartlands in the south and south west of the country.

"We need the public," said Lapasset. "We are lucky to have supporters who are increasingly faithful to our sport.

"We have to follow the example of the Irish fans, who support their team even when it is going down."
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us