Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Humph to retire?

Post by Flash Gordon »

Humphreys denies he is to retire

Humphreys is expected to continue with Ulster for another season
David Humphreys has categorically denied that any decision regarding his international future has been made.
A newspaper report said that the Ulster fly-half was to end his Ireland career after the RBS Six Nations Championship.

"Myself and Eddie O'Sullivan agreed that we would talk again after the Six Nations," said Humphreys in a prepared statement issued by the IRFU.

"A report saying I have made a decision is inaccurate. No decision will be made until after the Six Nations."

Humphreys benchmark

Humphreys went on to say that in the meantime, he is totally committed to playing for Ireland and Ulster.

"At this point in time I am concentrating on playing for Ireland and Ulster this weekend and will do so until the end of this season," said the 72-times capped Humphreys.

The Ulsterman is apparently still in discussions with the Irish Rugby Football Union, who offered him a new contract up to the end of the 2007 World Cup.

It is believed, however, that Humphreys will continue to play representative rugby for Ulster next season, which will come as a great relief to the province's coach Mark McCall.

Super 14 side Stormers were one of a number of top sides from around the world who would have gladly taken on Humphreys in the twilight of his career.

But it is now looks certain that he will be staying in Ireland, and primarily north of the border.

While he has, apparently, agreed in principle to stay on with Ulster until the end of the 2007 season, he will not make a definitive decision until next month.

However, it would come as no surprise if Humphreys were to end his international career at the end of the present RBS Six Nations campaign.

He has so far remained extremely quiet on the subject and is reluctant to talk about his future.

However, he may be further encouraged to step down after two un-used roles as a replacement in the Six Nations.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

He should retire from rugby. He has been useless all year and is stalling the development of another out half
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

In addition to the fact that he should have been on for a very off form Rog, the bringing on of Reddan on the wing with one of the most creative rugby players we have sitting on the becnh was a very pointed insult......
Shame the way he's been treated.....
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

epaddy wrote:He should retire from rugby. He has been useless all year and is stalling the development of another out half
Who Rog? Couldn't agree more........ :wink:
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

In addition to the fact that he should have been on for a very off form Rog, the bringing on of Reddan on the wing with one of the most creative rugby players we have sitting on the becnh was a very pointed insult......
You're kidding right? This is Humphreys we're talking about? The guy Ulster put as far out of reach as possible when defending. The guy who waved the masses through when we played England and he had to play FB?

As for being on for ROG. Disagree. 90% of what ROG did in that first half was excellent and he grew into the game very well in the 2nf half. It's just unfortunate that his kicks were blocked but Humphreys is hardly renowned for not having kicks blocked down. And Humphreys is in s**t form this year.

I think Eddie should have bit the bullet and started giving someone, anyone, else a game here and there. I know the gulf is big but just like the team won't get better without match practice, neither will the players.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

CM wrote:

As for being on for ROG. Disagree. 90% of what ROG did in that first half was excellent and he grew into the game very well in the 2nf half. It's just unfortunate that his kicks were blocked but Humphreys is hardly renowned for not having kicks blocked down. And Humphreys is in s**t form this year.
I dont think you could call either kick unfortunate CM they where both appauling

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

I dont think you could call either kick unfortunate CM they where both appauling
The 1st one was Murphy's fault. Not only did he get in ROG's way so he had to readjust but he blocked ROG's view of the player coming through.

The 2nd one was a tad unlucky. Probably an ill-advised kick but for 9 times out of 10 it wouldn't have stuck so well to Marty. But yes, that one was definitely more ROG's fault.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

CM wrote:
You're kidding right? This is Humphreys we're talking about? The guy Ulster put as far out of reach as possible when defending. The guy who waved the masses through when we played England and he had to play FB?

I think Eddie should have bit the bullet and started giving someone, anyone, else a game here and there. I know the gulf is big but just like the team won't get better without match practice, neither will the players.
Spot on.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

The first one he shouldnt have kicked it he went left and there was a player on top of him, he paniked and went right and he was blocked down. If he had the abiltiy to carry the ball in to contact he wouldnt have kicked, its just another example of how limited he is

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

The first one he shouldnt have kicked it he went left and there was a player on top of him, he paniked and went right and he was blocked down. If he had the abiltiy to carry the ball in to contact he wouldnt have kicked, its just another example of how limited he is
epaddy, there are 4 people at fault for that block down. ROG comes 4th on that list for me. 1st person was D'Arcy who picked the ball up but didn't form a ruck or maul thus removing the offside line. Next came Stringer who dallied a little after taking the ball off D'Arcy. Third was Murphy who decided to stand in front of his FH so he couldn't kick and lastly ROG. As I said he was unsighted to the player coming through, thanks to Murphy, so he gets the least amount of blame. Bottom line, whether you can aportion blame or not they were still unfortunate block downs.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

He kicked the ball when he shouldnt have its his fault

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

epaddy wrote:He kicked the ball when he shouldnt have its his fault
As was the charge down in Wales last year.....by a prop..... :cry:
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Newstalk have a dynamite clip on the sports news. Looks like it went off between EOS and Thornley at the press conference today.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CM wrote:

Except gift them two tries of course......in case you don't remember we were 41-3 down, bringing on someone for their defensive qualities was probably not on anyone's mind, even Eddie's! Recall Rog's shocking performance in the RWC when we went down to a similar score? Humph came on and transformed the backline - the selection was called into question in the media. Eddie doesn't like to have is judgment questionned.....
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

He kicked the ball when he shouldnt have its his fault
Whatever. You have your opinion. I have mine.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:Newstalk have a dynamite clip on the sports news. Looks like it went off between EOS and Thornley at the press conference today.
Can you say more Duff?
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Flash

Yeah, ROG was such a thorn in our side during our comeback. I mean he was only able to score one try, kick all the conversions and generally direct play to the extent that we could have won the game. Shame on him,
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Newstalk have a dynamite clip on the sports news. Looks like it went off between EOS and Thornley at the press conference today.
Can you say more Duff?
I can Flash, I can.

EOS basically said that Thornley's source had misled him (Thornley) and that he had spoken to Humph this morning and been assured that he was not retiring. He then went on a rant about Humph being "a man of his word". Thornley is standing by the story.

I reckon there's a personal issue between the two of them.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

CM wrote:Flash

Yeah, ROG was such a thorn in our side during our comeback. I mean he was only able to score one try, kick all the conversions and generally direct play to the extent that we could have won the game. Shame on him,
CM i reckon you could have kicked those conversions

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CM wrote:Flash

My recollection was that most of the ruck ball missed him and went to the centers.....but there you go. As for kicking - he's consistently been one of the worst place kickers in the 6 nations. He missed one bang in front last weekend - and who could forget how he single handedly blew our best chance to beat the All Blacks down under when he missed 4 sitters......