Mike Ruddock gone?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I dunno. Player power was no good at Leinster! Looks like Henson is at the centre of his resignation - the players didn't want him back but Ruddock did. It's amazing the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, when championing a player it's easy to forget that there are other factors. I remember Sir Cliiiiiiiive talking about removing "energy sappers" from the England team in Winning!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:I dunno. Player power was no good at Leinster! Looks like Henson is at the centre of his resignation - the players didn't want him back but Ruddock did. It's amazing the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, when championing a player it's easy to forget that there are other factors. I remember Sir Cliiiiiiiive talking about removing "energy sappers" from the England team in Winning!
I dunno, it got Cheika and Knox in for a guy who was clearly out of his depth!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I haven't made my mind up about Ella's reign at Leinster. He had just an incredibly bad injury crisis that I feel it's unfair to judge him based on that season. But I'm happy with what we've got now.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:I haven't made my mind up about Ella's reign at Leinster. He had just an incredibly bad injury crisis that I feel it's unfair to judge him based on that season. But I'm happy with what we've got now.
I know what you mean, but the defensive systems just broke down completely......we were a total mess......
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

wouldn't want Ruddock anywhere near the Irish team. We've enough of a job managing personalities in the Irish squad without bringing in a guy who is prepared to let the Welsh team force him out over his support for one of the world's most over-rated and divisive players.

Johnston (and Hansen before Ruddock) are the originators of Wales' style. Ruddock to be fair helped improve their set piece but the way he took personal credit for the Slam is straight out of the EOS book on modesty.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Duff Paddy wrote:I dunno. Player power was no good at Leinster! Looks like Henson is at the centre of his resignation - the players didn't want him back but Ruddock did. It's amazing the stuff that goes on behind the scenes, when championing a player it's easy to forget that there are other factors. I remember Sir Cliiiiiiiive talking about removing "energy sappers" from the England team in Winning!
Gareth Thomas and the rest of the players refused to take part in a press conference where Chavin Henson's ghost writer would be. Ruddock backed them and apparently got pissed off when he was constantly asked about Chavin, saying things such as "I'm more concerned with the players IN the squad, not OUT of it. Remember, there are two other Welsh players who are still banned who are training with the squad while Henson isn't.
This would be a Ruddock call, wouldn't it? So maybe the "higher powers" started putting pressure on him to bring in Gav the Chav and he told them to eff off......
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Post by Justtoby »

Duff Paddy wrote:I haven't made my mind up about Ella's reign at Leinster. He had just an incredibly bad injury crisis that I feel it's unfair to judge him based on that season. But I'm happy with what we've got now.
He was out of his depth as head coach but I still think Ella would be an excellent backs coach for some team or other. The home game against the Dragons near the end of his reign was a great advertisement for attacking, innovative backplay. Unfortunately he was clueless with regards to defensive alignment.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Justtoby wrote:
He was out of his depth as head coach but I still think Ella would be an excellent backs coach for some team or other. The home game against the Dragons near the end of his reign was a great advertisement for attacking, innovative backplay. Unfortunately he was clueless with regards to defensive alignment.
True! Credit where credit is due! He was also one of the nicest, most unassuming guys you'd ever meet. A true gent.