Ready, Steady Eddie.....Go

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Ready, Steady Eddie.....Go

Post by Flash Gordon »

THERE was little love in the air when Eddie O'Sullivan breezed into a suite of the Killiney Castle Hotel yesterday.

Armed with a page full of stats to further copperfasten his case that to go 43-3 behind was seemingly a cunning plan of which even Baldrick could not conceive, there were more than a few furrows etched on his brow.

Where to start? Appropriately enough, with a relationship. Except this one has gone sour. Allegedly.

The marriage of convenience between O'Sullivan and David Humphreys, which only lasted so long because Ireland hadn't properly groomed a replacement, appears to have irretrievably broken down.

A newspaper which normally abhors rating Irish players, but not, it seems, retiring them, carried news of Humphreys' decision to call it quits.

Clearly piqued at having to shine pine interminably, it seems the Ulsterman is content to head off into the sunset and begin his legal career while playing the odd bit of rugger part-time.

Hogwash, bleated the Irish management. Firstly, a terse statement rubbished the story. Then, O'Sullivan claimed that the player's very word was at stake, as both he and the player had spoken about the issue that very morning.

As the journalist attested to the integrity of his story, the potentially jilted coach rounded on him as if he were the rival for the player's affection.

"I think you're being led astray," said O'Sullivan to the aforementioned hack, with a glint in his eye. "I only spoke to him this morning and nothing has changed."

To and fro the tug of love swayed for several minutes as the menage a trois was openly discussed before a bemused audience who had come to hear about offloads, AC strains and such.

Squabbling

Mercifully, the squabbling pair agreed to disagree. But there was more to come. Tommy Bowe was being criticised for slipping or being criticised by O'Sullivan for slipping or O'Sullivan was being criticised for criticising Bowe. Yes, we were confused, too. Nearly slipped. Tommy Bowe did slip on Saturday evening. It was a mistake. Not a fateful, vice-president shooting up your hunting buddy mistake. But, a mistake nonetheless.

On Saturday, O'Sullivan demurred from mentioning the player. Yet, on Sunday morning at a helpful press briefing, he specifically pointed out Bowe's lapse. Call it whimsy, but this was worth pointing out to the Irish public, one might have thought.

Wrong again. Cue another passionate wrangle between questioner and our national coach. Interpretation is shouted down by dogmatism.

While the television crews began to beat their drums on their cameras, the verbal spat continues. As undignified spectacles go, this resembled the tawdriest soap opera.

Geordan Murphy, for once self-critical rather than frivolous, had owned up to his succession of errors on Saturday night. His honesty was instructive.

Last Sunday, O'Sullivan vigorously opposed the notion his side had played catch-up rugby, to the point of admonishing his questioner by saying he'd never heard the term.

Helpfully, we pointed out that he'd used it himself when referring to another abysmal display in Cardiff last year. Suitably piqued, phone calls were made to several newspapers from the Irish camp querying their Monday morning missals. It all seems so petty.

Worse, some of the cloistered rugby fraternity feel that the media are out to get Eddie O'Sullivan.

No, friends, the media's job is to question at every turn the coach's methods, his words and his deeds. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yesterday, he refused to accept that he had given his players a day off. A media statement later confirmed this was so.

Hopefully O'Sullivan may take a day off himself and redirect his energies towards the flagging efforts of his team.

Trying to win games is hard enough without trying to win arguments, too.

At the moment, Eddie O'Sullivan is struggling to do either.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

It all has the feel of Brian Kerrs last days. Squables with the media and a coach who has brought the team as far as he can, time to move on eddie.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

glic wrote:It all has the feel of Brian Kerrs last days. Squables with the media and a coach who has brought the team as far as he can, time to move on eddie.
That's what the journos are saying......
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

Flash Gordon wrote:That's what the journos are saying......
I think it's more than just the journos that want him out at this stage
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

glic wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:That's what the journos are saying......
I think it's more than just the journos that want him out at this stage
Yep, most fans and if the word in the press is true more than a few players....
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

if the word in the press is true more than a few players....
Not one player has even been anonymously linked to any recent issues with EOS so stop trying to do what the media are doing and making something out of nothing.

As far as I can tell the players are delighted with the way Eddie wants them to play.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CM wrote:
if the word in the press is true more than a few players....
Not one player has even been anonymously linked to any recent issues with EOS so stop trying to do what the media are doing and making something out of nothing.

As far as I can tell the players are delighted with the way Eddie wants them to play.
Axel Foley, Bob Casey and Keith Gleeson for sure. Massive evidence to suggets Humph too.....
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Code: Select all

That's the impression i would get anyway from what the players are saying in the media. D'Arcy, Trimble and Murphy have all come out and said they are fans of the new style
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

thecoofreak wrote:

Code: Select all

That's the impression i would get anyway from what the players are saying in the media. D'Arcy, Trimble and Murphy have all come out and said they are fans of the new style
Geordie - selection on the line after an horrendous game.
Flash - very loyal guy, the only senior Leinster player to stick by Gary Ella
The Reverend - he's coach by Small McCall FFS, of course he thinks Eddie's good! :wink:
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Axel Foley, Bob Casey and Keith Gleeson for sure.
Go on. Quote the articles or the players? And you've mentioned two players who aren't even in the squad and one who's been dropped for only the 2nd time in over 10 years. Hardly a great selection of players to prove your argument.

Where has Humphreys been even anonymously been linked to unrest? Thornley alluded to it but used an argument based on stuff that happened 6 years ago and basically put words into Humphs mouth. Humphreys wasn't credited at all with any negative comments. As I said, stop trying to make up stuff that isn't there. Can we not just get behind the team at least? Backing the Irish team doesn't mean you have to back Eddie.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CM wrote:
Go on. Quote the articles or the players? And you've mentioned two players who aren't even in the squad and one who's been dropped for only the 2nd time in over 10 years. Hardly a great selection of players to prove your argument.

Where has Humphreys been even anonymously been linked to unrest? Thornley alluded to it but used an argument based on stuff that happened 6 years ago and basically put words into Humphs mouth. Humphreys wasn't credited at all with any negative comments. As I said, stop trying to make up stuff that isn't there. Can we not just get behind the team at least? Backing the Irish team doesn't mean you have to back Eddie.
All due respect CM, but you've got to be kidding. There were no articles in the press quoting players over the Ella dumping incident. Are you telling me none of the players played a part in that?

Just stand outside Keily's on the evneing of a matchday and you'll here what you need to hear.....
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

thecoofreak wrote:That's the impression i would get anyway from what the players are saying in the media. D'Arcy, Trimble and Murphy have all come out and said they are fans of the new style
None of the munster forwards in that list I wonder what the likes of POC etc. think about the new style.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

CM wrote:

With all due respect, don't be so naive. Just because a player says something in the press doesn't mean its the truth....

Geordan Murphy is case in point, of course he is supporting EOS, the fellow shouldnt' be near an Irish jersey for the state he was playing in last sat.

I know for sure of several players that are disgusted with EOS.... they aren't going to come out and have a go, this is not the premiership.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

glic wrote:
thecoofreak wrote:That's the impression i would get anyway from what the players are saying in the media. D'Arcy, Trimble and Murphy have all come out and said they are fans of the new style
None of the munster forwards in that list I wonder what the likes of POC etc. think about the new style.
Dunno, POC is the kind of bloke who just gets his head down and does his job. Every coach's dream I imagine that Wally is just happy to be back in after years in the wilderness.....
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

There were no articles in the press quoting players over the Ella dumping incident.
Yes there was. There were a load of anonymous comments. That's why the players/coach meeting was held where the players came out and publicly backed Ella a couple of weeks before he was ousted. You don't remember all the stuff about the players saying one thing in the papers and then another in the meetings with Ella and how Ella was disgusted? Short memory.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

I know for sure of several players that are disgusted with EOS
Why don't you back up your statements with any names?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

thecoofreak wrote:
I know for sure of several players that are disgusted with EOS
Why don't you back up your statements with any names?
Come on.....some of us get info from players. We're not going to drop them in it by broadcasting their names!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Come on.....some of us get info from players
Sure....I'll believe ye. It's handy though that ye can't back up your points :lol:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CM wrote:
There were no articles in the press quoting players over the Ella dumping incident.
Yes there was. There were a load of anonymous comments. That's why the players/coach meeting was held where the players came out and publicly backed Ella a couple of weeks before he was ousted. You don't remember all the stuff about the players saying one thing in the papers and then another in the meetings with Ella and how Ella was disgusted? Short memory.
I remember it alright because Gary told me who they were. If memory serves Thornley wasn't the only one to talk about O'Sullivan having lost the dressing room.....you don't make comments like that (A Gerry wouldn't say that either) without good reason or without sources.....

There's another international at our province who has given his views on O'Sullivan and I think its fair to say that there was a good deal of animosity there....right Blue?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

thecoofreak wrote:
Come on.....some of us get info from players
Sure....I'll believe ye. It's handy though that ye can't back up your points :lol:
It is indeed. By the way, the world is going to end in November. Believe me, i was talking to God......