Bor for the chaps to hold up new Lansdowne Road?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Bor for the chaps to hold up new Lansdowne Road?

Post by Flash Gordon »

Lansdowne development hits stumbling block
Thursday, 16 February 2006 11:45

Building of the proposed new Lansdowne Road could be delayed

The proposed redevelopment of Lansdowne Road hit a potential stumbling block yesterday after Wanderers, one of two tenant clubs at the stadium, voiced their concerns to Dublin City Council.

The club, whose 'pavilion' is sited in the stadium, announced they have yet to reach an agreement with the IRFU for the provision of alternative facilities when the pavilion is demolished.

They also point out that they have a licence that runs until 2017, which includes a licence for the use of the playing pitches.

The IRFU responded by issuing a statement of its own, expressing the organisation's disappointment that the current impasse had been brought into the public arena 'despite lengthy negotiations and the offer of a very generous compensation package'.

The package includes:

A replacement, fully equipped clubhouse within the existing Lansdowne Road grounds.

* Complimentary use of a hospitality suite for international rugby matches throughout the lifespan of the new stadium.

* Financial compensation for loss of income to cover the period during which the club will not have the use of Lansdowne Road because of its re-construction.

* An offer to provide a financial grant to make improvements to Wanderers' Merrion Road clubhouse and grounds.

* An extension of licence agreement beyond 2017 at Lansdowne Road for the life span of the new stadium.

Work on the €365 million redevelopment of the stadium is scheduled to start early next year, subject to planning permission, with the project due to be completed within 27 months.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Wanderers can go fock themselves. I hope they go under...... greedy bar stewards. They're so poor, they can still afford to PAY their U20 players.. the poor dears. :roll:
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I see Lansdowne RFC had no problem bashing out a deal. What the hell is wrong with Wanderers? They're coming across as a right bunch of greedy b$&%@#ds. Merely cementing their place as one of the most hated clubs in the country.
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

I reckon we fork out for a demolition squad to do the job sooner rather than later.

How about that lads? ... "Courtesy of Leinsterfans.com, we've solved the problem of those pesky Wanderers Bar Stewards"

I pledge EUR20 :)
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

I think we should just leave their little cottage where it is and build our ultra-modern stadium around it.

Failing that I pledge €100 to the fund :)
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

glic wrote:I think we should just leave their little cottage where it is and build our ultra-modern stadium around it.
it can be the "state of the art" changing rooms for the AWAY TEAM :)
Last edited by Colm on February 17th, 2006, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Colm wrote:I reckon we fork out for a demolition squad to do the job sooner rather than later.

How about that lads? ... "Courtesy of Leinsterfans.com, we've solved the problem of those pesky Wanderers Bar Stewards"

I pledge EUR20 :)
Count me in for a pick axe. My Dad and my brother in law were chaps. Both of them bastads..... :lol:
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

A can of petrol and a box of matches costs far less than €20 lads.....
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

True but if a jobs worth doing......
Might as well make an occasion out of this it would make it more satisfying. We need the cash for a serious tonnage of explosives :twisted:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Snag threatens Lansdowne project

The proposed new-look stadium at Lansdowne Road
A Dublin rugby club could delay the 365 million euro development plans for Lansdowne Road.
The Wanderers club faces having its pavilion on the Lansdowne Road grounds demolished as part of the development.

The club has submitted an observation on the planning application for the redevelopment after negotiations with the IRFU broke down.

An IRFU statement said that Wanderers have been offered "a generous compensation package".

This includes a "replacement, fully-equiped clubhouse within the existing Lansdowne Road grounds".

The IRFU added that it was "disappointed that Wanderers FC has chosen to issue a statement to the media while in negotiations with the union".

However, Wanderers, who have played at Lansdowne Road since the 1880s, claim that if one party holds a licence that its permission has to be sought before demolition can take place.

"The proposed redevelopment of Lansdowne Road involves the demolition of the Wanderers pavilion, despite the fact the current licence runs until 2017," said the Wanderers statement.

The plans for the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road were lodged with Dublin City Council on 12 January.

There are also concerns that objection from local residents could stall the redevelopment which is intended to upgrade Lansdowne Road to a modern 50,000 capacity all-seated stadium.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

glic wrote:True but if a jobs worth doing......
Might as well make an occasion out of this it would make it more satisfying. We need the cash for a serious tonnage of explosives :twisted:
I'll even bring the marshmallows.