Italy call on Griffen

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Italy call on Griffen

Post by BlueBlue »

Italy call up scrumhalf Griffen

ITALY coach Nick Mallett has shelved the option of playing flanker Mauro Bergamasco at scrumhalf after it backfired calamitously against England at Twickenham on Saturday. The South African has called up veteran Calvisano scrumhalf Paul Griffen for Sunday's clash with Ireland.

Bergamasco had an unwitting hand in England's three first-half tries from Andy Goode, Harry Ellis and Riki Flutey and Mallett has taken the decision to restore Griffen to the squad for the first time since the World Cup in 2007. Griffen, born in Dunedin, New Zealand, comes in as Italy are nursing injuries to regulars Simon Piccone, Pietro Travagli and Pablo Cannavosio, although Giulio Toniolatti performed very capably when introduced for Bergamasco at half-time. "I said before the game the responsibility was mine," said Mallett. "I thought of replacing him [ Mauro Bergamasco] after 25 minutes, but out of respect I left him on the field.

"No-one likes to concede tries but I would like to say that Mauro has the support of all the team." The Italian's coach has also called Ulster lock Carlo Antonio del Fava into his squad for the Ireland game.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013