Ruddock quit over contract, says report

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Ruddock quit over contract, says report

Post by limecat »

from ireland.com

17/02/2006: Mike Ruddock's departure as Wales coach was prompted by the Welsh Rugby Union's decision to suspend contract negotiations - not his - according to The London Times.

Ruddock was allegedly not paid the £20,000 bonus he was owed for leading Wales to the RBS 6 Nations Championship last year, despite the players being given theirs.

In spite of leading Wales to their first major trophy for 27 years, Ruddock stepped down this week amid speculation about his relationship with players and officials deteriorating. Ruddock denied such suggestions.

He cited family and personal reasons for his decision, claiming he had called off contract talks which resulted in the WRU asking him to step down immediately.

However, a letter to Ruddock's solicitors from WRU chief executive Steve Lewis dated February 8th, after England beat Wales in the opening Six Nations match, was published in The Times on Friday.

"We want Mike...to concentrate fully on the Six Nations title. Contract negotiations will be a major distraction in this critical period. As a result, we wish to inform you that we are suspending negotiations in connection with the new contract until the completion of the Six Nations."

A statement from Ruddock on Wednesday said: "After consultation with my family, I have made the decision to stand down as national coach. I have decided to withdraw from contract talks to take Wales to the 2007 World Cup in France. This has been a tough decision to make but I have decided to put my family first."
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Sky Sports had an article last night about it. The press conference was supposed to announce him stepping down after the 6N. At the last minute the Welsh RFU changed their minds and told him that he was to leave immediately.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

harryp wrote:Sky Sports had an article last night about it. The press conference was supposed to announce him stepping down after the 6N. At the last minute the Welsh RFU changed their minds and told him that he was to leave immediately.
At the last minute......how professional..... :?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Last edited by epaddy on February 17th, 2006, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

epaddy wrote: I can't reveal the source of the information that allowed me to frame these questions for reasons that will become apparent when it becomes public knowledge. I am very confident of their authenticity.
Is this a wind up EPaddy?
Last edited by Flash Gordon on February 17th, 2006, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Deep Blue
Bookworm

Post by Big Deep Blue »

If it isn't a wind up then it's shocking. Could teach the Aer lingus HR dept. a thing or two.
Where the blind leadeth the blind.....Get out of the way.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Would not surprise me. Everything you hear or read about the whole fiasco stinks! We'll never know though.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

harryp wrote:Would not surprise me. Everything you hear or read about the whole fiasco stinks! We'll never know though.
Dunno, Beeb is reporting that Ruddock is demanding a showdown meeting....it could all blow up.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Sorry thats not my source. Its a guy from PR. Not usually a big fisherman. I would belive it
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Flash Gordon wrote:
harryp wrote:Would not surprise me. Everything you hear or read about the whole fiasco stinks! We'll never know though.
Dunno, Beeb is reporting that Ruddock is demanding a showdown meeting....it could all blow up.
British papers are taking WRU to the Cleaners. There's trouble a brewin.... :shock:
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

harryp wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
British papers are taking WRU to the Cleaners. There's trouble a brewin.... :shock:
Really? This could work out well for Welsh rugby. The WRuin are even worse than the clowns at the IRFU.....
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Flash Gordon wrote:
harryp wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: Dunno, Beeb is reporting that Ruddock is demanding a showdown meeting....it could all blow up.
Really? This could work out well for Welsh rugby. The WRuin are even worse than the clowns at the IRFU.....
Unfortunately taking an awful lot of press focus away from IRFU & EOS. The run upto the Welsh game is gauranteed to be just about Chavin & Mike Ruddock.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
scotscor
Knowledgeable

Post by scotscor »

epaddy wrote:Sorry thats not my source. Its a guy from PR. Not usually a big fisherman. I would belive it
This has been pulled from gwlad for preemptive legal reasons. would seem to make sense to pull it from here as well.
We won just twice
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

scotscor wrote:
epaddy wrote:Sorry thats not my source. Its a guy from PR. Not usually a big fisherman. I would belive it
This has been pulled from gwlad for preemptive legal reasons. would seem to make sense to pull it from here as well.
Thanks Scots. Have removed it from my pasted reply. If that's the case, suggest you remove it ePaddy....we've all seen it anyway....

PS. welcome to Leinsterfans Scots..... :wink:
scotscor
Knowledgeable

Post by scotscor »

Flash Gordon wrote:
scotscor wrote:
Thanks Scots. Have removed it from my pasted reply. If that's the case, suggest you remove it ePaddy....we've all seen it anyway....

cheers, wont stay long
We won just twice
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

scotscor wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
scotscor wrote: This has been pulled from gwlad for preemptive legal reasons. would seem to make sense to pull it from here as well.

cheers, wont stay long
Might see you back at the other place so.... :wink:
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

scotscor wrote:This has been pulled from gwlad for preemptive legal reasons. would seem to make sense to pull it from here as well.
thanks for the heads up there. and thanks to the guys for editing their posts so quickly.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.