Ireland V Wales

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

sewa wrote:Point 2 - chicken, egg?
Thats one way of looking at it. Then again does it not strike you as odd that a province which prides itself on running rugby hasnt produced an international 9 or 10 since professionalism came into play?[/quote]

That's a very carefully phrased question there Sewa :twisted:
Obviously I could point out 9's and 10's from before that or argue that the running style was not wanted by Ireland a few years back (very fashionable now after Wales and the ABs performance last year), or go through the whole 10 debacles of the last few years. Instead, I'll agree with you that it is odd - but so what? It is not from the want of trying.
(there should be enough in that post for you to find an argument with :wink: )
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Thats one way of looking at it. Then again does it not strike you as odd that a province which prides itself on running rugby hasnt produced an international 9 or 10 since professionalism came into play?
It strikes one as oddly as a team that prides itself on forward play hasn't produced an international standard front row or openside flanker in the same period I guess[/quote]

Touche.

Getting back into the old Leinster Munster argument here. Point is Ireland badly need 6 - 10. We don't have anything there right now, or if we do EOS won't pick it.

All provinces are potentially in the wrong, putting short gain at the expense of long term success. There are very few players breaking through in Ireland week in week out.

If players want to break from the mould they have to hit the GP. The list of players that all provinces gave up on who are succeeding is outstanding. The provinces are all to blame. Look at Ulster, Humph has as good as retired yet he's keeping 3 / 4 potential Irish OH's from getting a game.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

ribs wrote:
Thats one way of looking at it. Then again does it not strike you as odd that a province which prides itself on running rugby hasnt produced an international 9 or 10 since professionalism came into play?
That's a very carefully phrased question there Sewa :twisted:
Obviously I could point out 9's and 10's from before that or argue that the running style was not wanted by Ireland a few years back (very fashionable now after Wales and the ABs performance last year), or go through the whole 10 debacles of the last few years. Instead, I'll agree with you that it is odd - but so what? It is not from the want of trying.
(there should be enough in that post for you to find an argument with :wink: )[/quote]
Insufficient data. Require further info.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Dave Cahill wrote:
It strikes one as oddly as a team that prides itself on forward play hasn't produced an international standard front row or openside flanker in the same period I guess[/quote]

Ehh Keith Wood? Ever heard of him. He is quiet well known. John Hayes, Frankie Sheehan, Flannery, Marcus Horan all Irish internationals. I predict Fogerty and possibly Mushie Buckley will make it in next two years as well.
By the way David Wallace, Alan Quinlan and Leamy all played seven for ireland. V.Poor effort Dave.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

sewa wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
It strikes one as oddly as a team that prides itself on forward play hasn't produced an international standard front row or openside flanker in the same period I guess
Ehh Keith Wood? Ever heard of him. He is quiet well known. John Hayes, Frankie Sheehan, Flannery, Marcus Horan all Irish internationals. I predict Fogerty and possibly Mushie Buckley will make it in next two years as well.
By the way David Wallace, Alan Quinlan and Leamy all played seven for ireland. V.Poor effort Dave.[/quote]

We'll give you KW on a technicality. As for the rest of your front row, as yet would not class any as International Class. Lot of potential, mind, but not International Class.

Don't even go there on the back row. 666. Why is it so difficult for Munster Fans to understand the difference between a 6 and a 7??
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

sewa wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
It strikes one as oddly as a team that prides itself on forward play hasn't produced an international standard front row or openside flanker in the same period I guess
By the way David Wallace, Alan Quinlan and Leamy all played seven for ireland. V.Poor effort Dave.[/quote]

We'll give you KW on a technicality. As for the rest of your front row, as yet would not class any as International Class. Lot of potential, mind, but not International Class.

Don't even go there on the back row. 666. Why is it so difficult for Munster Fans to understand the difference between a 6 and a 7??
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

sewa wrote: Pissing yourself when you laugh could be a sign of some latent medical condition. I'd get that looked at if I was you.
Just don't stand near me or I may end up pissing on your wellies.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

sewa wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Ehh Keith Wood? Ever heard of him. He is quiet well known. Pre-dates the professional era and the Munster bandwagon, which I'm guessing is where you stepped on, or you would have "well known" that John Hayes Club player at best, Frankie Sheehan, Club player at best Flannery, Marcus Horan all Irish internationals. A Hooker who can't throw and a prop who can't prop! I predict Fogerty and possibly Mushie Buckley will make it in next two years as well. Well if Munster Eddies in charge, then I don't doubt it
By the way David Wallace, Alan Quinlan and Leamy all played seven for ireland...and all were laughably poor, In one case, cost munster the HEC, one will never play for Ireland again, and the other has never been selected at 7 since his one game for Ireland there he was that bad! V.Poor effort Dave.[/quote]
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:
upfront_1979 wrote:Guys is it just me or has munsterfans gone off the air?
Mfans unfortunately has a tendency to crash now & then.. due to it's popularity

can't see that happening here ... :wink:
Yes, and some bright visionary on Turnipstanfans was saying a few weeks ago that all our travelling support to Toulouse would fit on one plane. Unless they take 17 Eurostars and put wings on them, I think he'll probably be proven wrong (4000 and counting.....). Similarly, this site has only been up for a couple of weeks - at lunchtime today i think we had 22 people on it - flicked back to Munsterfans and there were less......so there you go. Support base at Leinster is up and coming - which is why our Celtic League attendances are actually slightly ahead of Munster this year - our European Cup attendances have been historically higher for home games of course.....

But don't worry Robbie, we'll let you on our bandwagon.... :wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Dave Cahill wrote:
sewa wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Thats one way of looking at it. Then again does it not strike you as odd that a province which prides itself on running rugby hasnt produced an international 9 or 10 since professionalism came into play?
Ehh Keith Wood? Ever heard of him. He is quiet well known. Pre-dates the professional era and the Munster bandwagon, which I'm guessing is where you stepped on, or you would have "well known" that John Hayes Club player at best, Frankie Sheehan, Club player at best Flannery, Marcus Horan all Irish internationals. A Hooker who can't throw and a prop who can't prop! I predict Fogerty and possibly Mushie Buckley will make it in next two years as well. Well if Munster Eddies in charge, then I don't doubt it
By the way David Wallace, Alan Quinlan and Leamy all played seven for ireland...and all were laughably poor, In one case, cost munster the HEC, one will never play for Ireland again, and the other has never been selected at 7 since his one game for Ireland there he was that bad! V.Poor effort Dave.
[/quote]

Quite simply Dave whether you rate them or not these players have all played in the positions of front row and seven for Ireland in the last ten years. Youve yet to name a half back from Leinster because you cant.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

sewa wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
sewa wrote: It strikes one as oddly as a team that prides itself on forward play hasn't produced an international standard front row or openside flanker in the same period I guess
By the way David Wallace, Alan Quinlan and Leamy all played seven for ireland...and all were laughably poor, In one case, cost munster the HEC, one will never play for Ireland again, and the other has never been selected at 7 since his one game for Ireland there he was that bad! V.Poor effort Dave.
Quite simply Dave whether you rate them or not these players have all played in the positions of front row and seven for Ireland in the last ten years. Youve yet to name a half back from Leinster because you cant.[/quote]

Alan McGowan, Ciaran Scally, Niall Hogan for a start
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

sewa wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
sewa wrote: It strikes one as oddly as a team that prides itself on forward play hasn't produced an international standard front row or openside flanker in the same period I guess
Quite simply Dave whether you rate them or not these players have all played in the positions of front row and seven for Ireland in the last ten years. Youve yet to name a half back from Leinster because you cant.[/quote]

Guy Easterby and Bommer both played for Ireland while playing for Leinster. Is that simple enough for you?

Now, let's talk about centers and fullbacks from Turnipstan shall we? :wink:

Frankly, its a bit of a stupid discussion. Leinster and Ulster have supplied the bulk of our squads over the last 2 or 3 years. We are both largely Irish - as I said, there were only 3 non-Irish on the team to play Bath (one is well on the way to qualification).
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

The Leinster system didnt produce either of those players. Saying that your correct it is a silly argument. To get back on track Mal shoudlnt even be in the irish panel.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Is Shane Williams playing on Sunday?
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

thecoofreak wrote:Is Shane Williams playing on Sunday?
As far as I know he's out injured.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

As far as I know he's out injured
When did that happen? I never heard it.
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

thecoofreak wrote:
As far as I know he's out injured
When did that happen? I never heard it.
linky

Mostly about Henson but shane williams is mentioned at the end.
As far as I remember it's a dead leg that's keeping him out.
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

The :mullet 4: wont be starting on Sunday flannery is fit.

link