Ireland V Wales

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Another selection for Big Mal when its clear from his performances he would rather sit them out.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Ireland beat the Welsh on Sunday - great thats a win

Ireland lose on Sunday - Eddie has to resign - thats a win.

Only way we can lose is if they go after Cheika and Knox as replacements.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

sewa wrote:Another selection for Big Mal when its clear from his performances he would rather sit them out.
And the alternative is? And don't say Mick "journeyman" O'Driscoll.....not to sure about Donncha "3 man overlap" O'Callaghan to be honest.....think given that Flannery's throwing isn't Jocky Wilson-esque that the lineout will be an area for Wales to attack. Expect to see Easterbuy used more often this game.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

The law of diminishing returns

Post by Uncle Mort »

All we have to do is remember each match played is one match closer to the end of EOS being coach - "OH HAPPY DAY" :D :D :D
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Look up France vs Ireland verdict. Duff Paddy gave Mal 2/10, Imperial Mongoose gave him 0/10 and Epaddy gave him 0/10. Call MOD a journey man but any journey man could beat that rating off his own teams fans.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

sewa wrote:Look up France vs Ireland verdict. Duff Paddy gave Mal 2/10, Imperial Mongoose gave him 0/10 and Epaddy gave him 0/10. Call MOD a journey man but any journey man could beat that rating off his own teams fans.
No he couldn't....not from the bench. Ridiculous, calling for a provincial replacement to replace the guy who, quite frankly, bitchslapped the guys keeping him on the bench, around the RDS.
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

sewa wrote:Look up France vs Ireland verdict. Duff Paddy gave Mal 2/10, Imperial Mongoose gave him 0/10 and Epaddy gave him 0/10. Call MOD a journey man but any journey man could beat that rating off his own teams fans.
Nobody's suggesting that Mal played exceptionally well that day - nobody did. Its just lazy analysis picking on Mal though.

There were guys out there who had bigger shockers than Mal - Rog, Murphy, Hayes, Bowe for example......

Mal at least has the potential to play well. I just don't think MOD is international standard. There are guys out there who are but he isn't in my opinion.
upfront_1979
Knowledgeable

Post by upfront_1979 »

Flash Gordon wrote:
sewa wrote:Another selection for Big Mal when its clear from his performances he would rather sit them out.
And the alternative is? And don't say Mick "journeyman" O'Driscoll.....not to sure about Donncha "3 man overlap" O'Callaghan to be honest.....think given that Flannery's throwing isn't Jocky Wilson-esque that the lineout will be an area for Wales to attack. Expect to see Easterbuy used more often this game.
Sorry Flash but have watched virtually every Celtic LEague match this year and MOD is by a ways the best lock in it at the moment. Would reckon he's almost the only impact sub on that bench.
'I love ball carrying. I see it as being one of the primal parts of rugby - getting the ball and running at the opposition,'
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

upfront_1979 wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Sorry Flash but have watched virtually every Celtic LEague match this year and MOD is by a ways the best lock in it at the moment. Would reckon he's almost the only impact sub on that bench.
Betcha Girv would make more of an impact than Murphy starting...
upfront_1979
Knowledgeable

Post by upfront_1979 »

probably, depends on which half Murphy decides to play in :?
'I love ball carrying. I see it as being one of the primal parts of rugby - getting the ball and running at the opposition,'
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

upfront_1979 wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
I agree he's been playing well. I just look at his style of play and I don't think he's an international lock. Its a different story playing the Borders vs jumping against Fabien Pelous or Chris Jack.

Personally, I think we need a lock offering a lot of phsyicality - which is why I'd pick Bob Casey - over 19stone and in fantastic form. But he's obviously slept with Eddie mother cos he can't even make the bench of the A team - he's even down the rankings vs that pudding McCullough! :cry:
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Bob Casey - over 19stone and in fantastic form
how much of Casey playing have you seen this year? Browne is in much better form than Casey and would deserve a call up before him. MOD is the third best second row in Ireland and deserves his place on the bench, if not in the starting 15
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Not another Munster vs. Leinster bitchfest over selection.

Mal is only putting the odd big game in at international level. If POC and DOC were available together for Wales, most people would go fo rthat combo. But an ageing Mal is still better than MOD at this point, most would also agree.

There are a lot of guys who underperformed last time out. Munster have their equal share of representation on that list too, so how about keeping the tribalism out of the national debate...
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Nobody's suggesting that Mal played exceptionally well that day - nobody did. Its just lazy analysis picking on Mal though.

There were guys out there who had bigger shockers than Mal - Rog, Murphy, Hayes, Bowe for example......

Mal at least has the potential to play well. I just don't think MOD is international standard. There are guys out there who are but he isn't in my opinion.
Pure revisionism. Re read what numerous leinster fans wrote after the match against France. I dont see you giving him 6/10 on that thread when you had your chance do I? As for your examples were shagged for options at 3, 10 and 15 as you know and Bowe is rightfully gone. I will leave the last word to the player Mal's performances now most resemble, "He needs to ask himself whether he really wants to play at this level".
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

jezzer wrote:Not another Munster vs. Leinster bitchfest over selection.
Whilst a munster coach continues to select his second rate provincial cronies, the bitchfest will continue.
I have Bumbleflex
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

jezzer wrote:Not another Munster vs. Leinster bitchfest over selection.

1) Mal is only putting the odd big game in at international level. 2) If POC and DOC were available together for Wales, most people would go fo rthat combo. 3) But an ageing Mal is still better than MOD at this point, most would also agree.

There are a lot of guys who underperformed last time out. 4) Munster have their equal share of representation on that list too, so how about keeping the tribalism out of the national debate...
Addressing your points in order
1)When was his last big game? It wasnt against France, Italy, NZ or Oz so it must have been a year ago against Wales...
2) No MOD and POC would be better
3) No he isnt and most wouldnt agree.
4) I agree the Munster players were poor but unfortunately in some key positions we have no real challengers, front row and half backs being the prime examples.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Seconds out.... Round 2.... :?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

sewa wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Pure revisionism. Re read what numerous leinster fans wrote after the match against France. I dont see you giving him 6/10 on that thread when you had your chance do I? As for your examples were shagged for options at 3, 10 and 15 as you know and Bowe is rightfully gone. I will leave the last word to the player Mal's performances now most resemble, "He needs to ask himself whether he really wants to play at this level".
What are you talking about Sewa, I didn't rate anybody score wise after the France game......and I certainly wouldn't be changing the team on the basis of ePaddy's score! Would you?

We have options in some positions. Girv should have come in at 15, Reddan in at 9, Bob at lock and a backrow with Gleeson at 7, Wallace at 6 and Leamy/Foley at 8. There are plenty of options.

An analysis that picks out Mal is just typical, cliched, boring, lazy observation in my view. The problems in the Irish team are many and performance would not have been significantly impacted my MOD in for Mal.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

thecoofreak wrote:
how much of Casey playing have you seen this year? Browne is in much better form than Casey and would deserve a call up before him. MOD is the third best second row in Ireland and deserves his place on the bench, if not in the starting 15
Seen 4 or 5 games, 3 live. Seen his stats too. He's been consistently outstanding for 3 years. He's been consistently the best lock in the ZP/GP and I think its absolutely scandalous that he hasn't even been given a spot in the A-team squad.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Flash Gordon wrote:
thecoofreak wrote:
Seen 4 or 5 games, 3 live. Seen his stats too. He's been consistently outstanding for 3 years. He's been consistently the best lock in the ZP/GP and I think its absolutely scandalous that he hasn't even been given a spot in the A-team squad.
I'd be happy with Casey or MOD. In fact given Mals recent work rate I'd give just about anyone the position instead of him. Have you boots?