Andrew Trimble

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Andrew Trimble

Post by Duff Paddy »

Just seen a replay of his tackle on Webster last night. My God that was good. How on Earth is this guy not getting a start for Ireland?
cj
Graduate

Trimble

Post by cj »

He will start against Wales on the wing.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Re: Trimble

Post by Duff Paddy »

cj wrote:He will start against Wales on the wing.
Hope so. Can't afford to leave a player of his talent on the bench.
the_git
Graduate

Post by the_git »

Just seen a replay of his tackle on Webster last night. My God that was good.
Fark me, the boy done well
http://www.uafc.co.uk/video/evuatb.wmv
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

He da man. Strong for a skinny fecker. Himself, Boss and Neil Best were head and shoulders above the rest.

BTW, Kearney's try-saving tackle in the dragons game wasn't shabby either.... shame he kicked a lot of stupid ball away.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Agreed about Neil Best-very good performance, and impressed me a lot. A lot more prominent than for example Easterbunny in the 6N...

Franno wrote on Sunday about watching the France game again and realising the work that Easterbunny did....but you noticed Best above the rest on Friday.

Might be a little/lot too late for Boss for the 6N.
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
CM
Mullet

Re: Andrew Trimble

Post by CM »

Duff Paddy wrote:Just seen a replay of his tackle on Webster last night. My God that was good. How on Earth is this guy not getting a start for Ireland?
Awesome tackle. Although Webster really should have scored by diving earlier. I just hope Trimble has learnt enough wing play this year so he's not exposed by Jones and Peel. Having said that he really looks like a seriously naturally talented player and I'm really looking forward to seeing him on Sunday.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Andrew Trimble

Post by Flash Gordon »

CM wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Just seen a replay of his tackle on Webster last night. My God that was good. How on Earth is this guy not getting a start for Ireland?
Awesome tackle. Although Webster really should have scored by diving earlier. I just hope Trimble has learnt enough wing play this year so he's not exposed by Jones and Peel. Having said that he really looks like a seriously naturally talented player and I'm really looking forward to seeing him on Sunday.
Absolutely CM. Flash had better watch out, a couple of bad games and he'd be under severe pressure - which is no bad thing! Given the injury record of Flash and BOD, its great to see outstanding cover in the center position!
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Flash had better watch out, a couple of bad games and he'd be under severe pressure
Can't see it happening if EOS is still around. D'Arse is now used as one of our primary weapons for go forward with BOD playing off the subsequent phases (that's the theory anyway). Trimble doesn't fit that bill so it's a question of whether we put BOD at 12 to fill the D'Arcy role and Trimble 13. However, I'd be quite happy to see Gordon back in the back three, particularily at FB, because I think he works best in space and is currently being hamstrung at 12. Whatever way you look at it though, we now have our 5 best attacking outside backs on the pitch for Sunday and if they click it could be awesome to watch.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CM wrote:
Flash had better watch out, a couple of bad games and he'd be under severe pressure
Can't see it happening if EOS is still around. D'Arse is now used as one of our primary weapons for go forward with BOD playing off the subsequent phases (that's the theory anyway). Trimble doesn't fit that bill so it's a question of whether we put BOD at 12 to fill the D'Arcy role and Trimble 13. However, I'd be quite happy to see Gordon back in the back three, particularily at FB, because I think he works best in space and is currently being hamstrung at 12. Whatever way you look at it though, we now have our 5 best attacking outside backs on the pitch for Sunday and if they click it could be awesome to watch.
Given the selection of Geordie Murphy at FB for this match, I would imagine you're probably right..... :cry:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Well, we called for more flair from tha backline and Eddie has certainly delivered from a selection point of view (I personally don't believe that there are proven options for either 9 or 10 in a must-win game).

I'd rather have seen Girv in there, but it would have meant not seeing Trimble start, as EOS wouldn't drop Murphy altogether.

There's something special about the kid. Whereas Darce and Drico have a low centre of gravity, a lot of power and a great change of direction, Trimble is a bit of a cruiser - it all looks effortless for him, like he's got 3 more gears but rarely needs them. Bit early to say if he'll be a ledge loike, but he makes you want him to do well.

As for Bowe, he was a rabbit against USA for his first cap and has gone downhill from there. Pure hype.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

As for Bowe, he was a rabbit against USA for his first cap and has gone downhill from there. Pure hype.
Well I didn't think his debut was that bad but he has been unable to bring his Ulster form to Ireland. I still think he has a future in an Irish rugby jersey and his recent experience will help. Don't forget D'Arcy's early caps were hardly performances to write home about and it took him years to get his focus right to perform on the international stage. Bowe will be back.

We seem to be blessed with promising centres these days. I hear Fitzgerald is looking even better than last year. What the hell do we do with him if he joins Leinster and lives up to the hype?!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

CM wrote:
Well I didn't think his debut was that bad but he has been unable to bring his Ulster form to Ireland. I still think he has a future in an Irish rugby jersey and his recent experience will help. Don't forget D'Arcy's early caps were hardly performances to write home about and it took him years to get his focus right to perform on the international stage. Bowe will be back.

We seem to be blessed with promising centres these days. I hear Fitzgerald is looking even better than last year. What the hell do we do with him if he joins Leinster and lives up to the hype?!
Haven't seen Bowe do anything in an Ulster or Ireland jersey that Shaggy for instance couldn't do. Just don't see anything special there struggling to get out past match nerves etc. He's a good player and worth his provincial spot, but so is John Kelly....

As for centres, we have an embarrassment of them. Need to stop pigeonholing players and look at converting a couple to OH. Cheika/Knox at least don't pigeonhole, but they keep turning OHs into centres!! Good to see Hickey get the A start he deserves.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Haven't seen Bowe do anything in an Ulster or Ireland jersey that Shaggy for instance couldn't do.
But what's the problem with having both of them on the pitch? I've been very impressed with some of Bowe's play for Ulster. Unfortunately he hasn't quite clicked at international level. If and when he does he'll be an asset to the team.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

In theory there's nothing wrong with playing both, but I don't think Bowe is up to snuff. I'd have Trimble, Hickie, Murphy, Mc Philips, Kearney in the queue ahead of him. Only reason McPhilips doesn't get a sniff is cos he plays for Connacht.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

jezzer wrote:In theory there's nothing wrong with playing both, but I don't think Bowe is up to snuff. I'd have Trimble, Hickie, Murphy, Mc Philips, Kearney in the queue ahead of him. Only reason McPhilips doesn't get a sniff is cos he plays for Connacht.
Trimble, we'll find out on Sunday but I agree in principle.

Hickie, didn't get to see the game at the weekend but apparently he had a nightmare. Hasn't shown any real form since recovering from injury.

Murphy, yep. However I believe that he's been kept at FB to provide an option as an auxillary FH.

McPhilips, all I know about him is that he's fast. Very fast. We need more than that at this level though.

Kearney, not ready yet. Don't think he'd currently perform any better than Bowe at international level.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

McPhilips, all I know about him is that he's fast. Very fast. We need more than that at this level though
Exactly, a bit too small for international level. Doesn't have a step like Williams to compensate for it either
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

CM wrote:
jezzer wrote:In theory there's nothing wrong with playing both, but I don't think Bowe is up to snuff. I'd have Trimble, Hickie, Murphy, Mc Philips, Kearney in the queue ahead of him. Only reason McPhilips doesn't get a sniff is cos he plays for Connacht.
Trimble, we'll find out on Sunday but I agree in principle.

Hickie, didn't get to see the game at the weekend but apparently he had a nightmare. Hasn't shown any real form since recovering from injury.

Murphy, yep. However I believe that he's been kept at FB to provide an option as an auxillary FH.

McPhilips, all I know about him is that he's fast. Very fast. We need more than that at this level though.

Kearney, not ready yet. Don't think he'd currently perform any better than Bowe at international level.
Hickie had a poor enough game vs. Dragons, but he's currently a better winger than Bowe.

McPhillips is small, but we need someone with pace above all else to finish off the moves we start. How often do we break the line up the middle, then offload to someone who gets hauled in by the opposition. Look at Hickie - never the most productive player but that was/is his strength. Lots of small/light guys in the international game these days - not just Williams (Webster, Dominici, Castagniede) Having 2 big wings is not the fashion it once was. Have to check the stats but I think McPhillips has 7 or 8 tries from about 20 games so far, in a season where the province is struggling. Not a bad strike rate. Admit i'm not au fait with his defence.

Kearney I agree with you on. He's not experienced enough to start for Ireland yet. I include him to illustrate that it's not as if we HAVE to put Bowe in for lack of alternatives. As such, he has to be very good to merit a call-up.

Good few GP-based 3/4s not even on the list...
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

I include him to illustrate that it's not as if we HAVE to put Bowe in for lack of alternatives.
I think at provincial level he was the winger in the best form and deserved his chance. He didn't perform exceptionally well so loses out. I've no doubt Trimble is the better rugby player, my only reservations are about the specific skillset that makes a good wing, namely positioning. However, so far he's slotted in seamlessly to the team so I'd hope that he will continue in that vein.

To be honest, I think we're going to be blessed with outside backs for years to come if half the talent coming through the schools makes the grade. We're fine in the 2nd row and backrow too while hooker seems ok. Even SH looks a lot better than it did a year ago. It's just props and a FH that we need.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

my only reservations are about the specific skillset that makes a good wing
What's his kicking from hand like?