A Good Result??

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

jezzer wrote:
CM wrote:Thought we've actually regressed a bit yesterday into the shell of more boring but also more effective rugby. Perhaps we're just not capable of playing the game we attempted in Paris.

Anyway, upwards and onwards. We still have a good chance of winning this championship.
Think we got it about right - put it behind them when a line break wasn't on. No point in running everything, as we have discovered in Leinster occassionally to our cost. Paris 40 mins was an unreal one-off. We might see flashes of that in coming games, but we only played like that out of desperation and shame - pretty high risk stuff it was too.

Downside of out new conservatism is more set-piece (which at least we won our share of) and that's where O'Gara is at his worst going forward. Back to the topic of a better linking backrow...
Jezzer, not willing to reopen the Paris debate but my opinion is that it wasn't just the final 40 but the opening 40 aswell when we played with real purpose. I thought we'd come out and play the same while ironing out the mistakes. The fact that we decided to not open ourselves up to those mistakes gives me reason to believe we've regressed slightly. The performance was exactly as EOS described it: workmanlike, but not more. Against Scotland we may get away with another workmanlike win but I don't think the same applies to England. We'll need more from Paris and less from yesterday to win that match.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

The performance was exactly as EOS described it: workmanlike, but not more. Against Scotland we may get away with another workmanlike win
I think we can afford to be more advantageous against the Scots becaues i don't see them as possesing the same attacking threats as the Welsh or French.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

thecoofreak wrote:
The performance was exactly as EOS described it: workmanlike, but not more. Against Scotland we may get away with another workmanlike win
I think we can afford to be more advantageous against the Scots becaues i don't see them as possesing the same attacking threats as the Welsh or French.
To be honest with the players Wales had missing the Scottish backline is probably better. Scotland's backrow is also a lot better. We will be better than them in the scrums and maybe the lineout so there's no reason why we shouldn't win but we're not really creating any spectacular scores and Scotland showed against England that you need to create against them as their defence is very solid.

Not sure how well they travel though.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

I'm not so sure about their midfield defence. They haven't really been tested in that department except for some crash balls, which aren't really that hard to defend against.

As for their lineout, it was a shambles abainst England, and with POC back in the second row our lineout should be able to pick thiers apart.

I see us beating Scotland, but it won't be as big a victory as yesterdays.

PS: Who will people be up for in the England v France match? I think for the first time ever i may be forced into cheering on England.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

thecoofreak wrote:I'm not so sure about their midfield defence. They haven't really been tested in that department except for some crash balls, which aren't really that hard to defend against.

As for their lineout, it was a shambles abainst England, and with POC back in the second row our lineout should be able to pick thiers apart.

I see us beating Scotland, but it won't be as big a victory as yesterdays.

PS: Who will people be up for in the England v France match? I think for the first time ever i may be forced into cheering on England.
Well we should have beaten Wales by another 20 so I can see us beating Scotland by a similar scoreline as yesterday.

As for England v France. An English win means the championship is in our hands so that has to be our wish.
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

"An English win means the championship is in our hands so that has to be our wish."

No need to go overboard, a draw will do us fine
A proud Winsome Fluter
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:"An English win means the championship is in our hands so that has to be our wish."

:lol: :lol:

Fair point!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:"An English win means the championship is in our hands so that has to be our wish."

:lol: :lol: preferably 0-0!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

and multiple citings :lol: :lol: [/quote]
A proud Winsome Fluter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:and multiple citings :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Can we not just cite Grewcock already. Just to save everyone the trouble?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Grumpy Old Man wrote:and multiple citings :lol: :lol:
Can we not just cite Grewcock already. Just to save everyone the trouble?[/quote]

Then they cite Leamy. Just to save everyone the trouble??

Wait, that may not be a bad thing....
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink: