Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

BBC player ratings.....hmmmmm

Post by Flash Gordon »

IRELAND:

Geordan Murphy - 7:
Not at his best for Ireland recently but returned to form with a solid display. Produced some fine clearances from hand.

Shane Horgan - 8:
Given the man-of-the-match award and deservedly so, carried the ball powerfully, linked well with O'Driscoll and cut in nicely for his second-half try.

Brian O'Driscoll - 8:
Again the 2005 Lions skipper lived up to his world-class reputation, his work in defence and attack could not be faulted.

Gordon D'Arcy - 6:
Quieter than his illustrious centre partner but was always looking for work.

Andrew Trimble - 6:
Made a blistering break in the opening half that helped swing the game in Ireland's favour. Did not see a lot of the ball after that but justified his recall.

Ronan O'Gara - 7:
Threatened to be overrun by his opposite number Stephen Jones early on but regained his composure. Missed only two of his eight kicks at goal.

Peter Stringer - 7:
An annoying sniping presence at the base of the scrum, just ask Michael Owen, and capped an impressive display with a late try.

Marcus Horan - 7:
Stretchered off the pitch with a neck injury after showing typical endeavour in trying to secure a loose ball.

Jerry Flannery - 7:
A menace around the park and only a desperate Lee Byrne tackle prevented him from scoring a first-half try. Line-out throws were solid with just one lost in 18 attempts.

John Hayes - 6:
Had trouble containing the Welsh scrum early on but together with the rest of the front row, recovered to produce a strong platform.

Donncha O'Callaghan - 6:
Played his part as Ireland's pack came back from a tough start to put his side on the front foot.

Malcolm O'Kelly - 7:
Put in plenty of hits and was his usual brooding presence around the park. One of the leading tacklers in the match.

Simon Easterby - 7:
Did the ugly, unseen work around the fringes and on the floor and gave the Welsh back-row plenty to think about.

David Wallace - 7:
Made a telling contribution with a first-half score that started the Irish fightback, never took a backward step.

Denis Leamy - 7:
Gave his side go forward and was denied a pushover try in the first half by the video referee. A late sin-binning for stamping blotted his copybook though.

REPLACEMENTS:

Simon Best - 6:
The Ulster prop maintained Ireland's powerful forward effort after replacing Horan with 11 minutes to go.

Mick O'Driscoll - 6:
In the thick of the action after replacing Easterby and added his weight to the pack as Ireland tried to bundle their way over in the closing stages.

Johnny O'Connor - 6:
The Wasps flanker came on for Wallace with three minute to go and added fresh legs to the Irish pack.

Rory Best came on too late to make an impact while Eoin Reddan, David Humphreys, Girvan Dempsey did not feature.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Wallace and DOC worht another point

Leamy 5

ROG 4

Hayes 2, completely useless
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

epaddy wrote:Wallace and DOC worht another point

Leamy 5

ROG 4

Hayes 2, completely useless
Harsh on Hayes.....and Leamy made ten tackles, so the 5 is also tough on the player in my view. Rog had a shocker though....

I see Big Mal lead the tackle count for Ireland.....
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Flash Gordon wrote:
and surprisingly ... Rog not far behind him.
I am the one who knocks!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ruck wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Yeah, though he did miss 3 tackles.....but fair play on that count. Thought he was well below his best TBH.....
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

ruck wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Also lead the missed tackle count. Mal is usualy up there as far as tackle count. I think he answerd his critics yesterday and showed a lot of leadership in POC's absence himself and BOD where constantly talking to the players.

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Geordan Murphy FULL-BACK 7

A much more convincing performance in the bread and butter basics of the game and one that will have done his confidence the world of good for the remainder of this campaign.

Shane Horgan WING 8

Took the official man of the match award with a performance that was competitiveness personified, in particular when things weren't going Ireland's way. Took his try really well.

Brian O'Driscoll CENTRE 8

Gave Gavin Henson a lesson in how to deliver when and where it matters under pressure. Yet again the skipper's work ethic was infectious, particularly at the breakdown.

Gordon D'Arcy CENTRE 7

This was a day for competing on the deck and eking out the hard yards. On both counts D'Arcy, like O'Driscoll, worked minor miracles despite starting this game very much on the back foot.

Andrew Trimble WING 7

Caught a little flat-footed for Mark Jones' try but not fazed in the least by the score. Contributed the most incisive Irish break of the half at a time when Ireland had looked ragged under pressure.

Ronan O'Gara OUT-HALF 7

Clearly targeted early on with a few wayward kicks too in the opening quarter but battled through to produce a tactical performance in stark contrast to the Welsh replacement No 10.

Peter Stringer SCRUM-HALF 9

Gets my man of the match award for a performance where he overshadowed Dwayne Peel. Ireland's catalyst throughout whether passing, spoiling, kicking or with his telling second half snipe.

Marcus Horan PROP 7

A dodgy start but settled in to match the free-running Hair Bears in the ball-carrying stakes. Comfortably back in the groove following recent illness when injury cut his charge short.

Jerry Flannery HOOKER 8

Throwing on the button and excellent with ball in hand, he constantly swept the fringes like an extra flanker Will be disappointed at not finishing off first half chance when held up just short.
John Hayes PROP 7

Key role in getting the nudge on at the scrum in the lead-up to Horgan's vital second half try. Top class at the breakdown in clearing out Welsh loiterers and, as ever, in his support of the line-out.

Malcolm O'Kelly LOCK 8

Knew his place was under pressure and reacted accordingly with a much more workmanlike performance in addition to providing the relevant ammunition with a big game out of touch.

Donncha O'Callaghan LOCK 7

Nothing flash, just honest slog at the set piece and in taking it up to and over the gain line. Assuming O'Connell's availability, he's given the coach a three into two conundrum for the Scottish match.

Simon Easterby FLANKER 7

Performed the destructive role admirably, particularly in messing Llanelli team-mate Peel about at the breakdown. For once the Welsh were denied the quick ball their game demands.

David Wallace FLANKER 7

The fragmented nature of the game confined Ireland's best ball carrier to running much closer to the fringes than he would have wished. Consistent tackle count in defence will have pleased O'Sullivan.

Denis Leamy NO 8 8

Still to convince as an out and out No 8 but again our most effective carrier whether running from deep on the restarts. Needlessly bringing himself to the attention of match officials with silly late stamp.

Eddie O'Sullivan IRELAND COACH 8

He had laid it on the line as the pivotal game in Ireland's season and, despite the worryingly slow start, his side came good playing sensible rugby in an imperfect but personally satisfying victory.

Scott Johnson WALES COACH 6

Cruel blow to lose most influential player in Stephen Jones. Expect the public backlash to this poor performance to be significant, bringing his move back to Australia that little bit closer.

Simon Best, Johnny O'Connor, Mick O'Driscoll and Rory Best: None on long enough to be rated.

Ratings by Tony Ward

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

ROG's tacking was very poor in the first half. D'arcy got 6.....I would have given him an 8 or a 9, based on the ball that ROG was giving him.......

He makes a lot of hard yards...
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
jezzer
Rob Kearney

SEWA??? WHERE ARE YOU NOW?????

Post by jezzer »

Mal, together with Flan, the 2 best forwards on the park. Donncha a distant second of the locks. MOD got 10 mins at number 8 and i can't remember him having his hands on the ball...

Back to the Junior Cert mocks with you...
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

These ratings from the same Tony Ward who said during the French Game that ROG never gets fazed and always bounces back quickly from any set back?? :roll:
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: SEWA??? WHERE ARE YOU NOW?????

Post by Flash Gordon »

jezzer wrote:Mal, together with Flan, the 2 best forwards on the park. Donncha a distant second of the locks. MOD got 10 mins at number 8 and i can't remember him having his hands on the ball...

Back to the Junior Cert mocks with you...
He took the first lineout when he arrived. But MOD is a journeyman in my opinion - good enough provincial player having his best season, but not international class.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I'm not reading much into that Irish display. We weren't great. Wales were piss poor.
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

Flash Gordon wrote:
ruck wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Yeah, though he did miss 3 tackles.....but fair play on that count. Thought he was well below his best TBH.....
i agree with the fact that he wasn't at his best. He hasn't been for a long time. Stringer was getting the blame a lot for his poor service, but the service from Stringer was excellent this weekend and Rog was still average at best. I'm just glad to see that he has at least been working on his tackling. I can't remember any other game where he successfully made so many tackles. His missed tackle count is also normally much higher.
I am the one who knocks!
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Let's put this in context; O'Gara made the most tackles because Wales focussed most of their attacks down his channel, knowing that he would be the weakest link in Ireland's defensive chain. Fortunately for us, O'Driscoll and Wallace were having good games either side of him.

It's easy to lead the tackle count if the opposition runs at you, specifically, at every opportunity they get.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Oscar wrote:
Let's put this in context; O'Gara made the most tackles because Wales focussed most of their attacks down his channel, knowing that he would be the weakest link in Ireland's defensive chain. Fortunately for us, O'Driscoll and Wallace were having good games either side of him.

It's easy to lead the tackle count if the opposition runs at you, specifically, at every opportunity they get.
Maybe, but you can't criticise the guy's defence if he makes ten tackles.....it was he other facets of his play that let him down.
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Made 10, but missed 3. Those are acceptable stats, yes, but what I'm saying is we shouldn't be congratulating O'Gara for being so high up the tackle count, rather looking at the reasons he was so high up. It wasn't because he was marauding around like Richard Hill nailing everything that moved; it was because he was seen by the opposition as a defensive weakness to be exploited. To be fair, he stood up to it, but in this situation the number of tackles he made should not be used as mitigation for the all-round averageness of his performance.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Oscar wrote:Made 10, but missed 3. Those are acceptable stats, yes, but what I'm saying is we shouldn't be congratulating O'Gara for being so high up the tackle count, rather looking at the reasons he was so high up. It wasn't because he was marauding around like Richard Hill nailing everything that moved; it was because he was seen by the opposition as a defensive weakness to be exploited. To be fair, he stood up to it, but in this situation the number of tackles he made should not be used as mitigation for the all-round averageness of his performance.
Absolutely. An international rugby player shouldn't get credit for tackling a guy who runs straight at him! The major issues with Rog were poor and ponderous distribution, poor place kicking and even poor kicking from hand. I actually think it would do him some good to drop him for a game or two to get his confidence back - if Humph had played and Rog had played a couple of Celtic League games, he may have been in a better position to regain some form.

The situation is getting ridiculous now, you'd almost consider bringing in Staunton or converting Murphy or something.
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

It'd be nice if we could drop him, but as you point out, our options are Humphreys, Staunton and converting Murphy, in that order. And none look overly appealing (though moving Murphy would mean returning Girv to the side).

Until Staunton gets a run of good games for Wasps, or Humph Jr starts getting his game at Tigers, or Manning becomes Irish, or Paddy Wallace takes over from Humph and plays well, O'gara is the man in possession. There's plenty of "possibles", but they just haven't stepped up to become "likelies," and they're certainly all a long way short of being "probables".