Gleeson Called Up

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Gleeson Called Up

Post by thecoolfreak »

Five Leinster players - Reggie Corrigan, Keith Gleeson, Jamie Heaslip, Denis Hickie and Rob Kearney have been called up for Ireland training this week ahead of next week's RBS 6 Nations game against Scotland...

Twelve players have been called into the Ireland training camp for this week.

Forwards: Neil Best, Reggie Corrigan, Anthony Foley, Keith Gleeson, Jamie Heaslip, Matt McCullough, Bryan Young

Backs: Tommy Bowe, Denis Hickie, Rob Kearney, John Kelly and Barry Murphy
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

If only it made a difference
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

If only it made a difference
Maybe, EOS fas finally realised that Wallace is better at 8 and that we need a 7 who can link up with the backs
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

What???? No Fergus Slattery???? :?
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Maybe there is a sign of good things-Gleeson is now ahead of Jennings in the pecking order...EOS must be thinking about him....

...Jesus how we need him to balance out our backrow
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

The match against Scotland will be make or break for this backrow. I'm not going to read much into the Welsh match as they were just so poor. Scotland play a proper fast rucking game and if Wallace isn't up for it, he'll be shown up.
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

Duff Paddy wrote:The match against Scotland will be make or break for this backrow. I'm not going to read much into the Welsh match as they were just so poor. Scotland play a proper fast rucking game and if Wallace isn't up for it, he'll be shown up.
Was always confident of beating wales but since the first weekend when Scotland beat France I've been worried about our forwards ability to deal with that fast rucking game. I'll be pleasently surprised if they can generate quick ball.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Agree Glic on the rucking thing. Don't think our backrow ticks any of the required boxes (other than decent lineout options). Scotland play a la NZ with a lot of bodies at pace into the ruck and we didn't exactly cope with that in the autumn...
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

jezzer wrote:Agree Glic on the rucking thing. Don't think our backrow ticks any of the required boxes (other than decent lineout options). Scotland play a la NZ with a lot of bodies at pace into the ruck and we didn't exactly cope with that in the autumn...
yep there's something almost lethargic about how our forwards clean out the ruck.
The question is how do you counter the Scots type of game. They seem to be perfectly happy to let other teams have the ball and run at them (even their own coach couldn't believe the stats from the england game) Maybe it's time for a second half in Paris type of game plan :D If the scottish forwards are all piling into the ruck there's bound to be room out wide. This looks like it could be the game where it could all come together for the backline (or should come together for the backline).
And who would be the perfect link player for this type of gameplan step forward................ Mr. Gleeson
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

And who would be the perfect link player for this type of gameplan step forward................ Mr. Gleeson
I hope thats what EOS is thinking by calling him up
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

I'm a bit worried that Gleeson may only be called up so that Wallace can go up against a groundhog in training and learn how to cope with it. I really think this is a game where we need to be going in with either Gleeson or O'Connor on the pitch. And preferably with the other on the bench, too, given that O'Driscoll or O'Callaghan can cover backrow if necessary.

Incidentally, might this be why O'Sullivan brought both O'Connor and O'Driscoll on for backrowers on Sunday?
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

I hope thats what EOS is thinking by calling him up
I doubt it...as opposed to my post above, its obvious he chose Gleeson above Jennings, due to the fact that there is no point in bringin over Jennings if he has no realistic chance of making the 22.

Scotland are superior form 6-10, which is worrying...We should target the centres as Henderson and Di Rollo are average at best, and D'arcy and BOd should take them easily enough. However, it depends on getting the quick ball that we need...and that is where 6,7 and 8 come in, and there are serious questions there...
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

If we get good quick ball we should spread to the wings straight away because Scotland are very week out wide and around the centres.
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

thecoofreak wrote:I hope thats what EOS is thinking by calling him up
As much as I'd love to see Gleeson in the 22 I can't see eddie picking him :cry:
It's more likely that if EOS decides he needs a groundhog on the pitch that JOC will be given the nod.
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

I think (unforetunately) you are right Glic, there isnt even a slim chance that Gleesoin will get into the 22 ahead of JOC..

...in terms of thhe fact that if we had quick ball, we could spread it wide...I dont see there wingers being very weak in comparison to their centres...Lamont and Paterson have been good this season, and Lamont's defense is very good...whereas Paterson's is so-so..

Scotland will play a tight game, so we'll have to counteract that..
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

we play it up the middle with our 4 centres, Leamy, POC and Flan. They play it up the middle with 6-10, Lamont and Southwell. It's going to be a big mill in the middle of the park and the guys who clean out/avoid the breakdown the best will win it.

We will have the advantage out of touch, so i can see the ginger fecker reverting to familiar territory and putting it in the corners.
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

Gleeson has been named Leinster Player of the month for the second time this season.

Story here
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

glic wrote:Gleeson has been named Leinster Player of the month for the second time this season.

Story here
Well it's more relevant award this time around at least. Deserves it too.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

He won't be in the team aginst Scotland. He hasn't been called up for training this week

http://www.irishrugby.ie/redirectToNews.jsp?page=72188
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

thecoofreak wrote:He won't be in the team aginst Scotland. He hasn't been called up for training this week

http://www.irishrugby.ie/redirectToNews.jsp?page=72188

I can't believe he was called in last week, and now omitted.
How many Number 6's do we need?

If Scotland rob all the possession EOS will be shown up for tactical inefficiencies with plenty of alternative options (Gleeson and O’Connor)

It won’t be a fatal error, because the IRFU don’t want to get rid of him, especially a year before the world cup.

He is now too controlling, the backline with all their talent are playing worse than Carlow Under 11's