IRB World Rankings

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: IRB World Rankings

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:we dont Wales slipping to 9th as then we are guaranteed to get them as 3rd seeds
I'd say that is between France and Scotland. We really don't want France. They could pull it together just in time for WC. We could have them AND Wales if we are top seeds.
I'd say so too but Im a firm believer in bad luck

France sans Noves would be far stronger
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:So if lose the next test to NZ but beat Aus, we should go to third, so long as England beat Oz and RSA, which I think most of us expect to happen.
Raises the question of emphasis and does it even apply.
Should our emphasis be on winning the OZ game.
As an aside had our winning margin been greater than 15 points would our ranking points be higher.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
johng wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:we dont Wales slipping to 9th as then we are guaranteed to get them as 3rd seeds
I'd say that is between France and Scotland. We really don't want France. They could pull it together just in time for WC. We could have them AND Wales if we are top seeds.
I'd say so too but Im a firm believer in bad luck

France sans Noves would be far stronger
It's better to be neither an optimist nor a pessimist.
A realist would say that having run NZ close in our last two ganes we can expect something in the next meeting.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I think it's much more likely that Scotland are 9th come May after Cotter's last year in charge peters out. France and Wales in 7th and 8th in whatever order. I wouldn't worry too much. If we do get the first seed spot, one of those two would probably be preferable in a RWC pool as second seeds than Argentina or RSA.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Oldschool wrote: As an aside had our winning margin been greater than 15 points would our ranking points be higher.
Yes, it would have been worth a full extra point to us but would still have left us in 5th place.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Latest top 10 following weekend games:

1. BNZ 94.57
2. ENG 89.84 (+0.35)
3. AUS 87.51 (+0.66)
4. RSA 84.49 (-0.35)
5. IRL 83.67
6. WAL 81.72 (+0.75)
7. FRA 80.75
8. ARG 80.71 (-0.75)
9. SCO 79.78 (-0.66)
10. FIJ 75.49
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Thank God Scotland conceded that late try to lose to Australia. If Argentina were to slip to 9th in the rankings you just know we'd get drawn in group with them and New Zealand for RWC 2019.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

neiliog93 wrote:Thank God Scotland conceded that late try to lose to Australia. If Argentina were to slip to 9th in the rankings you just know we'd get drawn in group with them and New Zealand for RWC 2019.
every chance France can fall out of top 8 too, though Aussies resting players for their game may help avoid that

rankings/fixtures looking good for us making top 4, as uninspiring as Wales look to be re beating the Boks let alone by 15 points

Question: do we pick up points even if we lose to NZ by less than 15 as theyre so far ahead of us?
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Question: do we pick up points even if we lose to NZ by less than 15 as theyre so far ahead of us?

Nope.

In fact for the first time in quite a long time we'll actually lose points if they beat us on Saturday. Because of last week's victory and our home advantage we are 'technically' less than 10 points behind them so would drop about 0.21 points for a <15 point loss and 0.31 points if they were to win by >15
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Xanthippe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Nope.

In fact for the first time in quite a long time we'll actually lose points if they beat us on Saturday. Because of last week's victory and our home advantage we are 'technically' less than 10 points behind them so would drop about 0.21 points for a <15 point loss and 0.31 points if they were to win by >15
the system is rigged

chapeau as always
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Xanthippe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Nope.

Thanks Xan but please explain to me how we are 'technically' within ten points of them when they are on 94.57 and we are on 83.67?
Four Stars
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Lar wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Nope.

Thanks Xan but please explain to me how we are 'technically' within ten points of them when they are on 94.57 and we are on 83.67?
It's one of the ranking rules that always seems strange. The home team have 3 points added to their total because this is the advantage the IRB believe is gained from playing at home so in our case it effectively puts us on 86.67 points this Saturday which then allows us to lose points if we're beaten
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Thanks for explaining that. Three points seems rather a lot although I accept that even if it were only one this weekend we would still end up within 10 points of BNZ.
Four Stars
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Xanthippe wrote:It's one of the ranking rules that always seems strange. The home team have 3 points added to their total because this is the advantage the IRB believe is gained from playing at home so in our case it effectively puts us on 86.67 points this Saturday which then allows us to lose points if we're beaten
removes my theory that Scotland ARgentina game is a shoot out for top 8, Argies look safe unless France and Scotland both have good 6n and that aint happening for neither
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:It's one of the ranking rules that always seems strange. The home team have 3 points added to their total because this is the advantage the IRB believe is gained from playing at home so in our case it effectively puts us on 86.67 points this Saturday which then allows us to lose points if we're beaten
removes my theory that Scotland ARgentina game is a shoot out for top 8, Argies look safe unless France and Scotland both have good 6n and that aint happening for neither
No you were right - if France and Scotland win this weekend then Argentina will drop to 9th (actually, they'll drop even if France lose - so long as it's by less than 15 points). Their final AI is against England and let's be honest they're unlikely to win that!!

Between the AIs and the seeding cut off point they will play USA, Canada, Uruguay, Chile and Brazil so there's no possibility of them increasing their standing therefore will need to rely on Scotland and or France having a dismal 6 Nations if they want to be 2nd seeds
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Xanthippe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
No you were right - if France and Scotland win this weekend then Argentina will drop to 9th (actually, they'll drop even if France lose - so long as it's by less than 15 points). Their final AI is against England and let's be honest they're unlikely to win that!!

Between the AIs and the seeding cut off point they will play USA, Canada, Uruguay, Chile and Brazil so there's no possibility of them increasing their standing therefore will need to rely on Scotland and or France having a dismal 6 Nations if they want to be 2nd seeds
And from what you've said before if each of them win their last game in the 6N it might be all they need.
No idea who their opponents are, ironic if was against each other. Wales and Italy would be their preferred opposition.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Xanthippe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

yarrrr
side note how are Australia still that high? 3 more defeats and they may be in trouble too?

Scotland 6n: Ireland (H) France (A) Wales (H) England (A) Italy (H) would have to say Italy the only game theyre favourites for, France a shootout then
France 6n: England (A) Scotland (H) Ireland (A) Italy (A) Wales (H) they could realistically do anything from 0 to 3 wins

Update: good news is Boks not resting anyone for Italy game so will be wrecked for Wales game, 4th game/weekend in a row for most of the team
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Latest top 15 following weekend games:

1. BNZ 94.78 (+0.21)
2. ENG 89.84
3. AUS 88.14 (+0.62)
4. IRL 83.46 (-0.21)
5. RSA 82.57 (-1.93)
6. WAL 81.77 (+0.05)
7. SCO 80.57 (+0.79)
8. FRA 80.13 (-0.62)
9. ARG 79.91 (-0.79)
10. FIJ 75.49
11. JPN 75.20 (-0.05)
12. GEO 74.24 (+0.46)
13. ITA 74.16 (+1.93)
14. SAM 70.91 (-0.46)
15. TON 70.55 (+0.85)

Big weekend for us despite the loss - thanks Conor :twisted:
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

We'll get SA and Argentina in the World Cup group.

You heard it here first.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I think this might be first time ever that two teams from the NH are in the top four at the same time.