IRB World Rankings

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: IRB World Rankings

Post by blockhead »

Slightly off topic, but the nominations for World Rugby POTY have been named.
Beauden Barrett, Rieko Ioane, Owen Farrell, Maro Itoje, and Israel Folau.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Sionnach
Bookworm

Post by Sionnach »

I'm surprised not to see Murray on that list.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Sionnach wrote:I'm surprised not to see Murray on that list.
Missed essentially 2 games though.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

If I had to pick a player from that lot it would be.
Furlong - the rest are a bunch of numpties.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Sionnach wrote:I'm surprised not to see Murray on that list.
I'm stunned that Ritchie McCaw isn't there. I assume he will be added at a later date.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

With just next week’s Wales v South Africa match left in the AIs we’re guaranteed to head into the 6 Nations in 3rd spot (thanks to the whooping Scotland gave Australia today)
1	NEW ZEALAND	93.99
2	ENGLAND		90.87
3	IRELAND		86.39
4	AUSTRALIA	85.49
5	SOUTH AFRICA	84.90
6	SCOTLAND	84.11
7	WALES		80.98
8	ARGENTINA	78.22
9	FRANCE		78.09
10	FIJI		77.93
11	JAPAN		75.66
12	GEORGIA		73.46
13	ITALY		71.25
14	ROMANIA		70.91
15	TONGA		70.53
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Great work Xanthippe.

Fascinating to watch the slide of France, although S Africa have arrested their descent. Georgia and Fiji would love the opportunity of games against France at this point and even Tonga, Romania and Samoa would fancy their chances.

Whispers emanating from French blogs suggest that Laporte considering the appointment of a NZ Coach to replace Noves. "Desperate times require desperate measures..."
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

I know a lot of people don't really bother with World Rankings but it's not every day your team reach 2nd place so, in honour of our wonderful achievement, here are the rankings as of today:
1	NEW ZEALAND	93.99
2	IRELAND		87.85
3	ENGLAND		87.50
4	AUSTRALIA	85.49
5	SOUTH AFRICA	83.81
6	SCOTLAND	83.80
7	WALES		83.07
8	FRANCE		79.44
9	ARGENTINA	78.22
10	FIJI		77.93
11	JAPAN		75.66
12	GEORGIA		73.80
13	TONGA		71.87
14	ITALY		71.13
15	USA		69.23
16	SAMOA		69.03
17	ROMANIA		68.41
18	URUGUAY		65.37
19	SPAIN		64.58
20	RUSSIA		62.38
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Overtaking England in anything is good

As an aside how badly are Samoa run consideringbthe talent available (even ignoring unavailable)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

simonokeeffe wrote:Overtaking England in anything is good

As an aside how badly are Samoa run consideringbthe talent available (even ignoring unavailable)

Their record in the PNC over the last few years has been quite poor and even in Sevens they've been well off the pace for a couple of years also. The talent available just isn't very good. And if it is, it isn't available.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Overtaking England in anything is good

Their record in the PNC over the last few years has been quite poor and even in Sevens they've been well off the pace for a couple of years also. The talent available just isn't very good. And if it is, it isn't available.
What Ive read from journalists and ex players is the union is a corrupt poop show beyond belief. Management of the actual team has been terrible too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That may be so, but the players aren't there at the moment. There are good players unavailable for selection alright, but what they do have isn't up to it. Now maybe if the setup were run better those players would come back
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

How far ahead of England does that get us?
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Ruckedtobits wrote:How far ahead of England does that get us?
We go to 89.11 they will drop to 86.23
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Interesting to note if (big if) we continue the winning streak through the summer and if (huge if) France somehow manage a win v NZ we will be top of the rankings!!! 8)
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Obviously the winning of the Series in Australia has consolidated our position as second in the Rankings but I noted we now have a points total in excess of 90. Is this the first time we have exceeded that points total? I am sure someone like Xanthippe will know. Unless we lose to one or more of Italy, Argentina or USA in the AIs it seems pretty safe we will remain no. 2 for the rest of 2018.
Four Stars
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Lar wrote:Obviously the winning of the Series in Australia has consolidated our position as second in the Rankings but I noted we now have a points total in excess of 90. Is this the first time we have exceeded that points total? I am sure someone like Xanthippe will know. Unless we lose to one or more of Italy, Argentina or USA in the AIs it seems pretty safe we will remain no. 2 for the rest of 2018.
Highest ever points total.. http://www.the42.ie/ireland-world-rugby ... 3-Jun2018/

We're around 4 points away from our nearest in either direction. I'd be interested if that's the most daylight we've ever had?
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

ASFAIK it's the first time we've broken that barrier alright.

An interesting quirk of the points exchange system means any win vs. USA, Italy or Argentina in the Autumn will have no impact on our ranking (assuming no major changes in rankings in rugby championship) as they are all over 10 points behind us, whereas a loss to any of those team will have a huge impact.

Also the fact that England, Scotland and ourselves won on the last weekend of Summer series means there is less points for the SH teams to play for in the Rugby championship, which will help protect our standing as no.2.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The average ranking of the big NH 5 (Ireland, England, France, Scotland, Wales) is now ahead of the average ranking of the SH big 4(NZ, Aus, SA, Arg). 10 years ago they were averaging about 10 ranking points ahead.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

dropkick wrote:The average ranking of the big NH 5 (Ireland, England, France, Scotland, Wales) is now ahead of the average ranking of the SH big 4(NZ, Aus, SA, Arg). 10 years ago they were averaging about 10 ranking points ahead.
This is a point that was not lost on me also, although I had not looked at the averages. There were however no NH sides in the last four at the last RWC. Have they (we) improved that much since? Or are the SH sides building towards the next RWC without much regard for their rankings between tournaments?

Whilst the Bledisloe Cup is pretty important to Australia and NZ, I don't see the same intensity in the games between NZ and RSA that there used to be. Whereas the Six Nations is still massively important to the NH sides.
Four Stars