IRB World Rankings

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

IRB World Rankings

Post by Armchair »

IRB World Rankings - 22 November 2010 Position (last week) Member Union Rating Point
1(1) NEW ZEALAND 93.19
2(3) AUSTRALIA 85.90
3(2) SOUTH AFRICA 85.31
4(4) ENGLAND 83.61
5(5) FRANCE 83.21
6(8) SCOTLAND 81.20
7(6) IRELAND 80.90
8(7) ARGENTINA 79.87
9(9) WALES 77.04
10(10) FIJI 75.02
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Re: IRB World Rankings

Post by CiaranIrl »

Ugh... Scotland are ahead of us. Harsh...
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Thats what happens when you lose a lot of games.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Scotland beat the World Champions.

Argentina could be looking at Sunday as an opportunity to hop up a spot if anyone gave a monkey's about these. We'll be back up following the 6N and then bounce around a bit in the RWC.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

RWC is double the points
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

We'll be flying when we beat Australia!
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
gowest
Bookworm

Post by gowest »

fair enugh, scotland have been good this year,

we have been poor, a loss on sunday would cap of a awful year for irish rugby. we need to win, because i cant see the 6 nation being good for us.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

gowest wrote:fair enugh, scotland have been good this year,

we have been poor, a loss on sunday would cap of a awful year for irish rugby. we need to win, because i cant see the 6 nation being good for us.
Don't agree. The standard of European rugby is, seemingly, so poor that Ireland could feature well only for being less bad than the others. The Italians haven't, yet, benefited from the ML (might take another year, then again, we have been giving them the benefit of doubt for years) so can't see us losing in Rome. Wales are dreadful. Scotland away could be out toughest game but how many time have you heard someone sayins "Scotland could the surprise package"? Never happens. I'll reserve judgement on England when they face a scrum that is not battered (France, Italy and Wales all have the necessary ingrediants)
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

suisse wrote:
Wales are dreadful. Scotland away could be out toughest game but how many time have you heard someone sayins "Scotland could the surprise package"? Never happens. I'll reserve judgement on England when they face a scrum that is not battered (France, Italy and Wales all have the necessary ingrediants)
They may be dreadful but we'll struggle to get any type of win over them in Cardiff, and the Scots as limited and turgid as they are will be formidable opponents for us at Murrayfield. I can see a poor 6N for Ireland. Hope i'm wrong.
3 Gold Stars
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

The Argentina game is a very very important game for Ireland.
Seedings for WC 2015 are based on IRB ratings.
We do not need a repeat of the near panic that broke out, just after the 2007 WC, when our 8th place slot was up for grabs.
Scotland were the losers then. Argentina the gainers.
We need to beat Argentina on sunday and Scotland in the 6N, because our WC pre games is going to do us some serious damage.
We even need to beat Australia in the WC (for the double points)
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Oldschool wrote:The Argentina game is a very very important game for Ireland.
We do not need a repeat of the near panic that broke out, just after the 2007 WC, when our 8th place slot was up for grabs.
We need to beat Argentina on sunday and Scotland in the 6N, because our WC pre games is going to do us some serious damage.
If we beat Australia, then we'll meet Wales or Fiji in the QF, so we would want to get to the semi final in that case. Based on that, we would would have a good shot of making 4th place in the rankings, assuming France or England don't also get to the semis.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Oldschool wrote:The Argentina game is a very very important game for Ireland.
If we beat Australia, then we'll meet Wales or Fiji in the QF, so we would want to get to the semi final in that case. Based on that, we would would have a good shot of making 4th place in the rankings, assuming France or England don't also get to the semis.
I love your confidence. At a time when most poeople don't think we'll make it out of our group you have us beating Australia, getting to the semis and ending the tournament as the 4th best team in the world - sounds a bit like a Carlsberg ad.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Xanthippe wrote:I love your confidence. At a time when most poeople don't think we'll make it out of our group you have us beating Australia, getting to the semis and ending the tournament as the 4th best team in the world - sounds a bit like a Carlsberg ad.
Who thinks we won't get out of our group? I don't think we're in much danger of losing to Italy, Russia or USA.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

We have to play the USA on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, you can be sure they'll be throwing everything at us that day for a win at all costs.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Schumi wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:I love your confidence. At a time when most poeople don't think we'll make it out of our group you have us beating Australia, getting to the semis and ending the tournament as the 4th best team in the world - sounds a bit like a Carlsberg ad.
Who thinks we won't get out of our group? I don't think we're in much danger of losing to Italy, Russia or USA.

Is mise.
3 Gold Stars
Donald
Mullet

Post by Donald »

I'd agree with the latest ranking. Actually I think Los Pumas could be a bit ahead of us even
Come live with me in SEALAND!!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Donald wrote:I'd agree with the latest ranking. Actually I think Los Pumas could be a bit ahead of us even
They've had mixed form over the last couple of years or they would be. Scotland, obviously, deserve to be ahead of us.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Sauvignon Blank wrote:
Schumi wrote:

Is mise.
Hang your head in shame.
I know the country is F^cked, but rugby hasn't quite gone down the tubes yet.
Ok I know DK has to get over his lovefest with Buckley, Hayes and Mod in particular with Wallace squared in attendance.
But even so, only Italy would come even close to an upset and Australia talk a good game, but really what have they done in the last 10 years.
It would be interesting to see their W, L, D record against all-comers and against the SH and NH teams as a sub-group.
Last edited by Oldschool on November 26th, 2010, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Oldschool wrote: Hang your head in shame.
I know the country is F^cked, but rugby has quite gone down the tubes yet.
Ok I know DK has to get over his lovefest with Buckley, Hayes and Mod in particular with Wallace squared in attendance.
But even so, only Italy would come even close to an upset and Australia talk a good game, but really what have they done in the last 10 years.
It would be interesting to see their W, L, D record against all-comers and against the SH and NH teams as a sub-group.
Well it's 11 years now but they won a World Cup final and lost out to a last minute drop goal in the next one. Take one bad game away against England in 2007 where they learnt an important lesson and you see a team that are always a danger come World Cup time.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:
Oldschool wrote: Hang your head in shame.
I know the country is F^cked, but rugby has quite gone down the tubes yet.
Well it's 11 years now but they won a World Cup final and lost out to a last minute drop goal in the next one. Take one bad game away against England in 2007 where they learnt an important lesson and you see a team that are always a danger come World Cup time.
And you and I and most of the rest of the Rugby world know damn well that the ref kept them in that game against England.
England were by far the best team on the day (and in the tournament), the ref did his best to make it a contest.
So respect Australia yes, fear them no. There recent record against us is average, with rarely a big difference in the scoreline.
You could argue our record against them is average also, but then they're the ones talking themselves up.