Welsh rugby completely focked....

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Welsh rugby completely focked....

Post by Flash Gordon »

The Welsh Rugby Union has told its staff that caretaker coach Scott Johnson is likely to leave at the end of the Six Nations championship.

Outgoing special projects manager Paul Thorburn confirmed the WRU has already drawn up plans to find a new coach.

Johnson confirmed on Thursday he has received an offer from new Australia coach John Connolly to become an assistant coach with the Wallabies.

"I am considering an offer John has made to join his team," Johnson said.

At present I am concentrating all my efforts on preparing the team for the Italy game

Scott Johnson
Johnson met Connolly in Bath this week and has been offered a three-year deal with the Wallabies, who are also keen to recruit Bath's Michael Foley as forwards coach.

"I have not agreed a contract with the Australian Rugby Union," Johnson said.

"I have said all along that I would love to remain in Wales if I can resolve some of my personal issues in Australia.

"At present, I am concentrating all my efforts on preparing the team for the games against Italy and France and I won't be allowing anything to get in the way of that."

Johnson - with Wales as skills coach since February 2001 - was put in temporary charge of the national side following Mike Ruddock's shock departure a fortnight ago, and is popular with the players.

If Scott's not a goer, we will look to replace him and scour for the best coach

WRU chairman David Pickering
But he has always stressed that family decisions will determine his future plans, and a return down under to rejoin his mother and two children now seems imminent.

Former Wales captain Gareth Davies says that the news will confuse the whole "sorry saga" of Ruddock's departure even more.

"It will destabilise the Welsh camp even further, but to be fair to him Scott has always said that family reasons will determine his future," Davies told BBC Sport Wales.

"The sad thing is that the players genuinely seem to respect and want to follow Scott, but maybe they should stick to the playing side of the game."

Should Johnson go, there seem few obvious candidates for the position, Gareth Jenkins having ruled himself out whilst the current WRU bosses are in charge.

I'd sooner see Dame Edna coach the side than Dai Young

From PL
Have your say on Scrum V
Phil Davies, Lyn Jones, Dai Young, Paul Turner, Kingsley Jones and Mark Evans have all been touted as possible contenders, but none has an overwhelming case.

"We have asked our chief executive, Steve Lewis, to explore Scott's position and report back to the board after the final match of the Six Nations," said WRU chairman David Pickering.

"If that's not a goer, we will look to replace him and scour for the best coach.

"Scott has made us aware of his family situation. That is an issue and, understandably, a major priority."
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

Somebody must have pushed the big red 'Self Destruct' button in the WRU offices.
:?
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

T.C.B. wrote:Somebody must have pushed the big red 'Self Destruct' button in the WRU offices.
A Father Dougal style welsh blazer -he didn't want to push it but he couldn't help himself.
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

glic wrote:
T.C.B. wrote:Somebody must have pushed the big red 'Self Destruct' button in the WRU offices.
A Father Dougal style welsh blazer -he didn't want to push it but he couldn't help himself.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Absolutely! That or one of the cleaners hit it by accident and told no-one.
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

You don't suppose someone could convince EOS to apply? CM, how about you? :wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

Flash Gordon wrote:You don't suppose someone could convince EOS to apply? CM, how about you? :wink:
I'm sure they're not that desparate!
glic
Knowledgeable

Post by glic »

Flash Gordon wrote:You don't suppose someone could convince EOS to apply? CM, how about you? :wink:
Dougal and Ted reunited at last.