Earls v Bowe v Trimble v McFadden

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Earls v Bowe v Trimble v McFadden

Post by gfo »

After reading about Trimble's complaints to DK about selection and tbh, I can't say I blame him. To me, Trimble is the on-form winger and definitely should be at 14 ahead of Bowe.

Bowe is having a shocker of a tournament. People keep talking about his intercept against Australia like it's proof of his genius, but I just saw a winger at full pace with a head start getting caught by James O'Connor and unforgiveably, keeping the ball in his left hand and making no effort to fend off O'Connor despite seeing him coming. It was amateurish, and Ugo Monye got slated for doing the same thing during the last Lions tour.

Earls is Earls, I'd never consider him a game breaker despite his massive hype. Unstoppable winger at Pro 12 level, too quick to come off the wing and try to play in the centre. 9 times out of 10, he steps inside rather than using his superior pace to burn players on the outside. If someone would sit him down (and Tony McGahan too, to be fair) and tell him to concentrate on being a great winger, he could be incredible.
He could be by far our best wing, as long as he stops being used as a utility back and focuses on playing 11.

McFadden has the advantage of actually being an effective utility back, so he deffo should have a spot on the bench, but for me, it should be Earls and Trimble starting on the wings, with McFadden being a straight replacement of any injured player.
Dunno about Fergus at FB, but I certainly wouldn't haven't Earls anywhere near it.