Post by Dave Cahill »

I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: RWC 2023: Ireland

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:This doesn't hurt...

http://www.sportsclub.co.za/durban-lose ... host-2022/
does this mean we get the Commonwealth Games too?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:

Why not? As far as I know we never actually left the Commonwealth.
We're not a member based on some technicality to do with being a Republic.
Easily fixed.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

Easily fixed.
perfect opening event for the new Casement Park in Belfast

btw theyve subitted a revised/smaller planning application for that, think 32k rather than 40k so hopefully that gets the go ahead
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

We definitely left the Commonwealth.

International sporting tournaments are quite often looking less attractive these days. CIties that have allowed citizen involvement have recently seen Olympic bids turned down by the citizens. Because: scam.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

We de facto left the commonwealth in 1936 and de jure in 1948. We actually left it twice!
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:We de facto left the commonwealth in 1936 and de jure in 1948. We actually left it twice!
Read up on it after I posted.
A reversal wouldn't be too difficult.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Oldschool wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:We de facto left the commonwealth in 1936 and de jure in 1948. We actually left it twice!
Thanks but no think we're alright
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Oldschool wrote:

Sure. And England and Wales could leave the UK. Which would make things much simpler for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Lot to recommend it. Apart from the it's completely mental and never happening thing. Other than that though...
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: does this mean we get the Commonwealth Games too?
Easily fixed.
perfect opening event for the new Casement Park in Belfast

btw theyve subitted a revised/smaller planning application for that, think 32k rather than 40k so hopefully that gets the go ahead
And you think that one will pass ? Numbers down a few thousand but the access and emergency exit problems still exist. Access point is through main corporate area so if there was a fire in that there is no exit strategy in place as it is the only side with street access.
The whole thing is a farce and the GAA won't accept an alternative site which has been offered.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

all I know is the one rte article

GAA being intransigent for no reason :shock: :lol:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dreadful, dreadful ground. Everything about the ground has always been a pain in the hole, everything about getting there, watching a game there, the people who run it, getting out of it, everything. I'd rather watch Linfield play Rangers in Windsor Park wearing a 'king billy f%~ks kiddies' t-shirt than ever set foot in that kip again.
I have Bumbleflex
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

simonokeeffe wrote:all I know is the one rte article

GAA being intransigent for no reason :shock: :lol:
Thought the reason given was to preserve the history of the ground ?
Interesting to know what was actually meant by that.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... d-cup-2023

I know it's Robert Kitson but it's good to see there's some foreign support for the 2023 bid.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

So we need emergency legislation to host it?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Dave Cahill wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:They aren't the Conservative and Unionist Party any more.

Yes they are, and are registered as such in both Northern Ireland and Great Britain

http://search.electoralcommission.org.u ... tions/PP52 is their GB record
neiliog93 wrote:Realistically the logistical problems of two currencies and jurisdiction on the same tiny island are a lot less than the logistical difficulties of getting between Japan and South Korea - plane flights, different currencies, and even different languages. It won't be a problem and I think it's sensationalism to suggest it will be.
Again, the problem is that we don't know what the logistical difficulties are or might be, we have no idea, and lack of information is where business says bye-bye.
Anyone notice what name the bould Theresa was using to refer to her party by at the weekend? It'd be funny if it weren't so desperate.
I have Bumbleflex
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Yes they are, and are registered as such in both Northern Ireland and Great Britain

neiliog93 wrote:Realistically the logistical problems of two currencies and jurisdiction on the same tiny island are a lot less than the logistical difficulties of getting between Japan and South Korea - plane flights, different currencies, and even different languages. It won't be a problem and I think it's sensationalism to suggest it will be.
Again, the problem is that we don't know what the logistical difficulties are or might be, we have no idea, and lack of information is where business says bye-bye.
Anyone notice what name the bould Theresa was using to refer to her party by at the weekend? It'd be funny if it weren't so desperate.
As far as the bid is concerned it is business as usual and BREXIT will make no difference. However I think there should be a little planning given to the worst case scenarios.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

semi tangenital but shows crowds we can whip up and is good news in general

"AN ‘UNPRECEDENTED DEMAND’ for tickets has resulted in organisers of this year’s Women’s Rugby World Cup in Ireland to increase capacity at one of the venues for three of the match days.

The UCD Bowl will host Ireland’s first three games of the tournament on 9, 13 and 17 August when they take on Australia, Japan and France respectively.

However, all match days have sold out, meaning organisers have had to lift capacity at the Bowl to over 16,000 for the three days."

UCD could be good for promo stuff eg watch All Blacks train etc
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

The Conservative and Unionist party is actually the proper and full title of the party known as the Conservatives or Tories
Started off the Tory party back in 1800 's then formed a government with a breakaway faction of the Liberal party in 1920 or thereabouts called the Liberal Unionist party and thus at that stage became what we have now the Conservative and Unionist party, it has feck all to do with the current agreement with DUP who would be more Labour orientated.

The current Ulster Unionist party has formal links with Conservatives and was the reason why Lady Sylvia Hermon left them and became an Independent MP, she has a staunchly old school Unionist party upbringing like many of the middle and upper class Protestants in NI quite a few of whom would rather vote SDLP or Alliance instead of giving the DUP support.

And there ends Monday mornings history of politics lesson from up here in the dysfunctional North of Ireland
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Fireworks wrote: As far as the bid is concerned it is business as usual and BREXIT will make no difference. However I think there should be a little planning given to the worst case scenarios.
How do you know? You know what kind of deal the UK will get? You know whether or not the CTA will be in existance?

You don't. So you simply can not say that Brexit will make no difference. It may make no difference, it may make a f%~king massive difference. But one thing I do know for certain, its that sporting organisations don't award tournaments to bids under clouds of uncertainty.
I have Bumbleflex