RWC 2023: Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: RWC 2023: Ireland

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

fourthirtythree wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Does beg the question what's the point of a technical report/recommendation if it's just going to be ignored anyway.
It points out the fact that the technical report/recommendation in this case was an absolute farce. Generating the pretence of transparency and rectitude was the point of that particular report.
When Bill Beaumont started talking about how it was the most transparent bid process etc I was full sure SA were going to win. Bit of a farce that they didn't.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I tell ya. I love it. Love it!
If we went to Paris in 2023 and retained the title.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

blockhead wrote:I tell ya. I love it. Love it!
If we went to Paris in 2023 and retained the title.
No chance I would go to Paris. I'll go to loads of French cities but not Paris.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

L'Equipe: Who voted for France?

https://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites ... 023/850994

Round One:

Scotland, Italy, Japan, Georgia, Roumania, Afrique, Asia, South America, Oceania

Round Two:

England (Split vote: 2 out of 3), Canada, USA, North America
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

That confirms that the WRU voted for South Africa and the SRU voted for France.

The IRFU and RFU always had a good relationship, I'm happy they stuck by us more than I am disappointed in the Welsh and Scottish - I half expected them to be turncoats.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

harblstuff wrote:That confirms that the WRU voted for South Africa and the SRU voted for France.

The IRFU and RFU always had a good relationship, I'm happy they stuck by us more than I am disappointed in the Welsh and Scottish - I half expected them to be turncoats.
I see you're camping out here instead of reddit for the time being :lol:

It's an odd feeling I have at the moment. Of all the countries I want us to kick the sh1t out of in the 6N. England are currently bottom of the list
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

harblstuff wrote:L'Equipe: Who voted for France?

Round One:

Scotland, Italy, Japan, Georgia, Roumania, Afrique, Asia, South America, Oceania

Round Two:

so where did our 8 votes come from ? England (2/3), Canada & US (1 each), NA (2), Japan (2) ??
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Round One:

Round Two:

Find it a bit surprising that Africa voted for France in Round 1.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:
harblstuff wrote:That confirms that the WRU voted for South Africa and the SRU voted for France.

I see you're camping out here instead of reddit for the time being :lol:

It's an odd feeling I have at the moment. Of all the countries I want us to kick the sh1t out of in the 6N. England are currently bottom of the list
I feel our rivalry with the Welsh has been bigger ever since we dominated England in the latter half of the 00s. Since then it has been tit for tat bar a home loss for Ireland in 2013 - I don't really feel any animosity towards the English and our Unions are bros (1973 and all that).

Whereas the Welsh just like to be little shits towards us and the English, trying to take us down a peg whenever they can - whether politically (RWC, Pro12/14, Heineken), diplomatically (press) or on field. Again, no animosity towards the Welsh but they have none of my sympathy ever. The Scottish aren't a huge amount better.

Edit: No shitstorm over at Reddit, but I just want an Irish and Leinster rugby echo chamber to take my mind off of the result.
Last edited by harblstuff on November 15th, 2017, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

cormac wrote:

Round One:

Round Two:

Find it a bit surprising that Africa voted for France in Round 1.

1) Former colonies - they have a relationship with France as a big brother
2) France helped set up their Unions and grow rugby
3) During this period South Africa was run by Apartheid, had no interest in Africa

France has more of an interest in African rugby than South Africa ever had, so I'm not really surprised, even post Apartheid South Africa has looked to the TriNations/SuperRugby/RugbyChampionship and isn't a rich Union, so doesn't spend that much money on developing the game outside of its borders.

Like it or not, France develops more rugby than South Africa.
harblstuff
Bookworm

Post by harblstuff »

Barry wrote:

Round One:

Round Two:

so where did our 8 votes come from ? England (2/3), Canada & US (1 each), NA (2), Japan (2) ??
They're different rounds.

We had all of Rugby Americas North - 5 votes (even though only Canada, US and RAN together have 4, apparently it's somehow magically 5) and the RFU (3) back us in round one.

In round two all of RAN and 1/3 of the RFU went for France.

Edit: OR we had + 2 votes from RFU (1 to SARU), +4 votes from RAN and +2 votes from ???
Last edited by harblstuff on November 15th, 2017, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

the spoofer wrote:We should seriously look at an Anglo Irish league and let the Scots and Welsh rot.
Agreed. I won't soon forget this betrayal.
Anyone But New Zealand
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

harblstuff wrote:
Barry wrote:

Round One:

Round Two:

They're different rounds.

We had all of Rugby Americas North - 5 votes (even though only Canada, US and RAN together have 4, apparently it's somehow magically 5) and the RFU (3) back us in round one.

In round two all of RAN and 1/3 of the RFU went for France.
so if our loyal Celtic cousins had voted for us, round one would have been France 15, Ireland, 14, SA 10 - would have fancied our chances in round 2.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

God, Bernard Laporte really embodies all that is insufferable about French rugby (and maybe France in general).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

"Scotland, Browne said, followed the money, while Wales were duty bound to go with the recommendation because their chairman Gareth Davies is also a member of the World Rugby Council, its executive committee and a director of Rugby World Cup Ltd."
From the English independent apparently
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
artaneboy wrote:Stephen Jones is the rugby equivalent of Donald Trump. The same levels of preening self-regard, thin-skin and appalling vindictive ‘judgement’. But people still regard both as a ‘joke’. Jones should not be treated as a source of amusement; but he’s a pernicious influence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not in your wildest nightmares is Jones like Trump.
Jones is a lot, lot worse and has had his knife in us for years.
For what it's worth the RFU is rumoured to voting against SA getting the gig.
It's high time that world rugby and the individual unions considered fan's safety.
Still a Trump lover? Really?
I was never a Trump lover.
I was more a Hillary disliker.
However Trump managed to bring home the bacon against huge odds.
Something unfortunately Ireland couldn't manage.
It was a huge achievement by Trump not that he'll ever get any credit for it.
It also seems to me that the backlash to his (Trump's) election triumph has resulted in people like Bernstein and Spacey being outed. That's surely a good thing.
The law of unintended consequences in full flow perhaps as I don't think it was in any way part of Trump's agenda.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Just now, more ungrateful black people.
Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
Following Following @realDonaldTrump
More
Do you think the three UCLA Basketball Players will say thank you President Trump? They were headed for 10 years in jail!
He's a POS.

And FYI, Weinstein and Spacey were outed as a result of failing old media. They stopped paying retainers for books that were never wrote because they ran out of money. This has more to do with Weinstein but it's what opened the floodgates. Nothing to do with Trump.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Anyway, getting back to the rugby. Hugely disappointed in Scotland and Wales - you'd think that a RWC next door, with same climate, familiar surroundings/culture and likelihood of huge amounts of own supporters attending would've swayed them a bit.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

jimbobjoe wrote:Anyway, getting back to the rugby. Hugely disappointed in Scotland and Wales - you'd think that a RWC next door, with same climate, familiar surroundings/culture and likelihood of huge amounts of own supporters attending would've swayed them a bit.
Petty jealousy, they would prefer their own horse to die than their neighbour to have two. The English have always been our friends going back to the 1972/73 situation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

the spoofer wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:Anyway, getting back to the rugby. Hugely disappointed in Scotland and Wales - you'd think that a RWC next door, with same climate, familiar surroundings/culture and likelihood of huge amounts of own supporters attending would've swayed them a bit.
Petty jealousy, they would prefer their own horse to die than their neighbour to have two. The English have always been our friends going back to the 1972/73 situation.
+1
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.