Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

nc6000
Mullet

Re: RWC 2023: Ireland

Post by nc6000 »

nc6000 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Its very frustrating, I think that without this issue Ireland would win the bid. We have the stadia, the travel framework, the hotel beds. We can offer everything to the rugby fan from a weekender to a longer stay, urban and rural. This is our best chance and its being seriously endangered by these small minded little englander bigots.
Not sure I agree with this.

Say for example if two games were on in Thurles on the same weekend. How would 80,000 odd fans get to and from Thurles? Where would they stay? Then factor in that the same could be happening in Cork, Limerick and Dublin at the same time and I find it hard to see we have the capacity here to host it.
So Semple Stadium didn't end up being part of the bid and the locals are not happy. I just heard one of their TDs (Jackie Cahill) on Today FM complaining and I doubt he'll be on his own.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Tipperary are going to pursue independence as a result of all this.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Those TD's will also all be looking for free tickets to the games
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Anything that annoys *** Edited by mod *** bung buddy is a good thing

Probably a lot more accommodation in Kilkenny too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Surely Kelly can watch it on TV in one of the shoebox apartments he has allowed building standards to produce

He'll fit in one double seater couch, a jacks, a telly and a hot plate to heat super noodles - Luxury

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I forgot Mattie McGrath too
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:He'll fit in one double seater couch, a jacks, a telly and a hot plate to heat super noodles - Luxury
Doesn't he want to fit those for each passenger, in the Trains passing through Nenagh?
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Hornet wrote:
Oldschoolsocks wrote:He'll fit in one double seater couch, a jacks, a telly and a hot plate to heat super noodles - Luxury
Doesn't he want to fit those for each passenger, in the Trains passing through Nenagh?
think you read the same article today I did :wink:

Dick Spring said World Rugby told them Semple didnt have the public transport links/accessibility
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Hornet wrote:

Dick Spring said World Rugby told them Semple didnt have the public transport links/accessibility
Seems to have worked ok for generations of hurling fans, are they more compact than you're average rugby fan from abroad?

Shame it hasn't been included but sure there's a good six years between awarding and staging I doubt anyone would be too upset if a larger stadium was able to be used for a couple of games. NZ changed a venue late on, granted for tragic reasons, so it is doable if needed and desirable.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

TerenureJim wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Hornet wrote:

Seems to have worked ok for generations of hurling fans, are they more compact than you're average rugby fan from abroad?

Shame it hasn't been included but sure there's a good six years between awarding and staging I doubt anyone would be too upset if a larger stadium was able to be used for a couple of games. NZ changed a venue late on, granted for tragic reasons, so it is doable if needed and desirable.
None of whom would have to get hotel rooms after the game and need public transport to/from game. Thurles Is on the main Dublin - Cork/Limerick line but that's about it. There is no hotel space in town and it shouldn't be used
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

simonokeeffe wrote:Anything that annoys Alan Kelly and Dennis O'Briens bung buddy is a good thing

Probably a lot more accommodation in Kilkenny too
Semple Stadium would have been a much better choice for the matches than the genuinely crappy Nowlan Park. No comparison on that front- but that wasn't the deciding factor, of course.

Thurles not a bad spot- only on a match day mind! Not much good most other times though. Kilkenny is prettier and does have much more and varied accomodation. The latter advantage and the better road transport links probably got the Cats the nod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

TerenureJim wrote: Seems to have worked ok for generations of hurling fans, are they more compact than you're average rugby fan from abroad?
Hurling fans from neighbouring counties are very different than rugby fans travelling for the weekend/week/month from abroad. If you're over for the weekend you want to be able to stay near(ish) to the stadium if possible. Be there the day before and be in and around the grounds for most of the day. Last thing you want is having to queue for ages (and there would be queues) for trains in the morning and evening and have the long train trip too.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Good spot!
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

hugonaut wrote:
Good spot!
Interesting, you'd imagine we're hopefully owed a few votes having supported others on various ventures over the years
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

the walesonline article has a bit more info (but also angle of WRFU turn down cash windfall) but WRFU said they felt the deal had been paid back already

maybe its a bribe so we dont dump the pro12 and join PRL to make some money
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

simonokeeffe wrote:the walesonline article has a bit more info (but also angle of WRFU turn down cash windfall) but WRFU said they felt the deal had been paid back already

Pool games in Cardiff in 2023 maybe ;)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

neill_m wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:the walesonline article has a bit more info (but also angle of WRFU turn down cash windfall) but WRFU said they felt the deal had been paid back already

Pool games in Cardiff in 2023 maybe ;)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Take the place of Casement Park which I seriously doubt will be built.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Personally I hate the split location thing again, giving a second country homefield again let alone Wales, and watering down our reputation

If we had to use outside Stadia go for Murrayfield
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I would be very disappointed if there was any deal to send games to Wales or anywhere else in 2023. It should all be held on the island of Ireland (assuming we win the vote).