Moderator: moderators

rooster
Seán Cronin

Re: RWC 2023: Ireland

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
nc6000 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Its very frustrating, I think that without this issue Ireland would win the bid. We have the stadia, the travel framework, the hotel beds. We can offer everything to the rugby fan from a weekender to a longer stay, urban and rural. This is our best chance and its being seriously endangered by these small minded little englander bigots.
Not sure I agree with this.

Say for example if two games were on in Thurles on the same weekend. How would 80,000 odd fans get to and from Thurles? Where would they stay? Then factor in that the same could be happening in Cork, Limerick and Dublin at the same time and I find it hard to see we have the capacity here to host it.
The same way as the fifty odd thousand fans get to and from Thurles every Munster final thats played there, only twice. Tipperary, for example, has only marginally fewer hotel beds than Cardiff. And as anyone who has attended a game in Cardiff will know, theres nothing compelling you to stay in the same place the game is on - Swansea, Llanelli, Newport for example are all places that Irish fans stay in regularly when their team is playing in Cardiff. Kilkenny, LImerick and Portlaoise are all in and around an hour away for example. I've actually never spent a night in Cardiff despite being at a number of games in the CCS, AP and the PS.

But thats part of the planning, you simply load balance the fixtures to make sure than the infrastructure can cope.
Agree with you Dave, plenty of hotels and other accommodation, the main travel infrastructure is ok as well as a lot of travel in Ireland is by coach anyway and there is a pretty good supply to handle the needs.

Still think the Brexit lark is the big fly in the eye of it all and will depend on how easy it is to bullshit World Rugby on possibe consequences
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

By the by Dave, the Tories still officially have 'unionist' as part of their name, but they split with the Ulster Unionist Party in 2012.

https://www.niconservatives.com/news/ni ... ty-belfast

Or just look at the UUP/Conservative party Wikipedias.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Their alliance was only ad-hoc anyways. My point is that the Conservatives are in and of themselves, regardless of other parties, a unionist party. Maintaining the union - be it with Scotland or Northern Ireland - is still one of their political aims.
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

UK Gov seeks to strengthen CTA arrangement post Brexit: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ish-border

Should put paid to some of the scaremongering.
Anyone But New Zealand
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

FLIP wrote:UK Gov seeks to strengthen CTA arrangement post Brexit: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ish-border

Should put paid to some of the scaremongering.
If it goes through then it sorts the immigration bit but the real difficult one to sort is the cross border movement of goods, they won't sort that without some sort of physical border between N and S
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

This is good news and a good first step. I always felt, and said everywhere, that something like that was the only viable solution.

Basically now that they have signalled they are actually going to do something rather than stand at the door like a cat that has been whining to get out people can start to plan.

Our bid looks a little less dead in the water.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

fourthirtythree wrote:This is good news and a good first step. I always felt, and said everywhere, that something like that was the only viable solution.

Basically now that they have signalled they are actually going to do something rather than stand at the door like a cat that has been whining to get out people can start to plan.

Our bid looks a little less dead in the water.
Well given that our competition is:

1) Somewhere with massive racial strife
2) Somewhere with massive racial strife and previous recent history of terrorists attacking an international sporting event

I don't think we were ever that dead in the water.
Anyone But New Zealand
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Until the UK signalled a willingness to begin negotiations and leave the EU there was literally nothing to discuss between the IRFU and World Rugby.

Dead or dormant, whatever, but if they had kept us all in limbo until the decision of where it is to be was made they couldn't have seriously considered our bid.
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Anyone else see the RWC2023 post by irfu? Looks like a Liam Neeson narrated promo video is to be released tomorrow.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMytCvJAHET/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BOD is GOD!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

RavenhillRaider wrote:Anyone else see the RWC2023 post by irfu? Looks like a Liam Neeson narrated promo video is to be released tomorrow.

Vote for Ireland or we'll send Liam Neeson around to your gaff?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

RavenhillRaider wrote:Anyone else see the RWC2023 post by irfu? Looks like a Liam Neeson narrated promo video is to be released tomorrow.

No shocks there. Liam Neeson has a Morgan Freeman-esqe voice in terms of how recognisable and dramatic it is.

Also plays very well into this "One Island" theme they are going for what with uniting the governments and 4 proud provinces and all that
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

There is a gathering in the Aviva today to give out more details about the IRFU bid
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:

No shocks there. Liam Neeson has a Morgan Freeman-esqe voice in terms of how recognisable and dramatic it is.

Also plays very well into this "One Island" theme they are going for what with uniting the governments and 4 proud provinces and all that
Its like something from 'Better Off Ted'
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Excellent promo but even more delighted by Browne's comments about Terracing request to World Rugby. Definitely part of the answer to moribund stadia as witnessed in RWC15 and recent 6Ns competitions.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Agree, I think a return to terracing would be broadly welcomed by the supporters. My worry though is that it will be rejected an H&S grounds.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

offshorerules wrote:Agree, I think a return to terracing would be broadly welcomed by the supporters. My worry though is that it will be rejected an H&S grounds.
No issues with H&S - lets not forget that the british problem with terracing is,mainly, political.
I have Bumbleflex
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Dave Cahill wrote:
offshorerules wrote:Agree, I think a return to terracing would be broadly welcomed by the supporters. My worry though is that it will be rejected an H&S grounds.
No issues with H&S - lets not forget that the british problem with terracing is,mainly, political.
thats a nice way to put it :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote:

A very underrated show
bonzo
Learner

Post by bonzo »

TerenureJim wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
arsebiscuits1 wrote: No shocks there. Liam Neeson has a Morgan Freeman-esqe voice in terms of how recognisable and dramatic it is.

A very underrated show
”Competition makes us stronger. In business, that means better products--pills that look like candy, hands that can shoot lightning, and a new generation of hurricane-proof dogs. Veridian Dynamics. Competition. It makes everything better."
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Some noise about the gaa having to alter the season structure St Patrick gave them to accommodate Croke Park opener, not sure if this has been raised already, but how much of a nuisance will the Croke Park residents association (some of whom actually live there) make?

GAA might look for higher stadium rent if they cant have any concerts there that year and or the next
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon