RWC 2023: Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Re: RWC 2023: Ireland

Post by neill_m »

jimbobjoe wrote:Anyway, getting back to the rugby. Hugely disappointed in Scotland and Wales - you'd think that a RWC next door, with same climate, familiar surroundings/culture and likelihood of huge amounts of own supporters attending would've swayed them a bit.
Wales were committed to supporting the recommended bid in the report. The Scots - who knows what their thinking was.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

jimbobjoe wrote:Anyway, getting back to the rugby. Hugely disappointed in Scotland and Wales - you'd think that a RWC next door, with same climate, familiar surroundings/culture and likelihood of huge amounts of own supporters attending would've swayed them a bit.
Maybe it was the language barrier.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Dexter wrote:
the spoofer wrote:Oh, and another thing. Can we kill off this 7's sh!t straight away please?
Exactly. We don't have to pretend anymore.
+1; feeding a cuckoo chick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

the spoofer wrote:
Petty jealousy, they would prefer their own horse to die than their neighbour to have two. The English have always been our friends going back to the 1972/73 situation.
1972 to be accurate- but I agree. England’s Union has always been more supportive than any of our supposed “Celtic Cousins”. Funny that.

But to be honest on today, I expected nothing better from Wales. Browne’s “explanation” of they wanting to support Gerald Davies as a member of the World Rugby Committee, is (probably deliberately) risible. I was disappointed by Scotland’s vote. Scottish rugby folk are ‘small-c’ unionist by inclination, so there wouldn’t be much of a political or cultural pull on them- but still I thought they might give us the vote. But no.

While the IRFU will not be so obvious or politically cack-handed as to say so- I believe that the evidence of the Welsh/ Scots behaviour during the Oligarchs Coup of the ERC and this episode, is enough to ensure we don’t tie ourselves to either of them in any future initiative or issue where our interests are better served by cutting them loose. No wish for revenge, but- ‘backstab me once; shame on you: backstab me twice shame on me...’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
kermischocolate wrote:Does beg the question what's the point of a technical report/recommendation if it's just going to be ignored anyway.
It points out the fact that the technical report/recommendation in this case was an absolute farce. Generating the pretence of transparency and rectitude was the point of that particular report.
When Bill Beaumont started talking about how it was the most transparent bid process etc I was full sure SA were going to win. Bit of a farce that they didn't.
I think what would have been transparent would have been WR saying "we support SA's bid to support rugby in the region and as part of a global development plan, which is as follows..." having a favoured option and then getting a report made up to favour one bid and then going "look! Transparent! Don't mind the guy behind the curtain!" is and was risible.

That they now have egg on their face is just fine by me. After this shenanigans I wouldn't touch them with Stephen Jones's.

As for the Welsh: I suspect we'll be in bed with them next time it's what's on. I don't think that after how they behaved with the ERC and Pro 12 we expect anything from them, but sometimes our interests align. There was obviously nothing in it for them to support us.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote:
"Scotland, Browne said, followed the money, while Wales were duty bound to go with the recommendation because their chairman Gareth Davies is also a member of the World Rugby Council, its executive committee and a director of Rugby World Cup Ltd."
From the English independent apparently
Given that Thersa May, Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, publicly endorsed the Irish bid and that her Government's Treasury provides annual support to the RFU, WRU and SRU through Lottery Funding and other streams and the Irish Bid included part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, I find it almost inexplicable that our Bid Team wern't able to parley that public support into votes from Scotland and Wales, also our Pro 14 partners.

WTF have Pa Whelan and John O'Driscoll ( our World Rugby Reps) been doing for the past 3 years not to have those votes wrapped up?

Not a lot seems the deafening answer.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Given that Thersa May, Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, publicly endorsed the Irish bid and that her Government's Treasury provides annual support to the RFU, WRU and SRU through Lottery Funding and other streams and the Irish Bid included part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, I find it almost inexplicable that our Bid Team wern't able to parley that public support into votes from Scotland and Wales, also our Pro 14 partners.

WTF have Pa Whelan and John O'Driscoll ( our World Rugby Reps) been doing for the past 3 years not to have those votes wrapped up?

Not a lot seems the deafening answer.

You forgot to take into account that the scotch are tightfisted misers and the welch are c**ts - thats the second time they've f%~ked over northern ireland in the last 18 months.
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

disgusted with the welsh and scots unions, somewhat disappointed with the Italians. Last time I checked the success of our provinces and the crowds we draw were fairly central to ensuring those three countries continue to have a professional game. Guess sometimes when you're in the trenches there's always a chance you're own side is going to frak you.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

TerenureJim wrote:disgusted with the welsh and scots unions, somewhat disappointed with the Italians. Last time I checked the success of our provinces and the crowds we draw were fairly central to ensuring those three countries continue to have a professional game. Guess sometimes when you're in the trenches there's always a chance you're own side is going to frak you.
Bunch of Begrudgers.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

Or, as per the BBC article already linked the SRU did exactly what they said from the very beginning- backed the bid that would guarantee most money to all World Rugby nations.

The RWC is the thing that generates most income for the rest of rugby world-wide. How do you think World Rugby fund any form of "growing the game?" (how well they do that is a completely different debate)

Ireland really need to go back and look at the bid and why it failed on a technical level before flinging toys out of prams and blaming everyone else but themselves.
Gordon D'Arcy did a pretty good job of that 2 weeks ago....https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3275818.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

kermischocolate wrote:Or, as per the BBC article already linked the SRU did exactly what they said from the very beginning- backed the bid that would guarantee most money to all World Rugby nations.

The RWC is the thing that generates most income for the rest of rugby world-wide. How do you think World Rugby fund any form of "growing the game?" (how well they do that is a completely different debate)

Ireland really need to go back and look at the bid and why it failed on a technical level before flinging toys out of prams and blaming everyone else but themselves.
Gordon D'Arcy did a pretty good job of that 2 weeks ago....https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.3275818.

Judging by the Scottish vote it had nothing to do with technical details. If Qatar offered £1 more to play it on concrete slab pitches, they would have gotten the Scottish vote because the scots were going with the highest bidder.
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

I think this is could be a bad result for World Rugby. It looks unlikely we'll bother trying again, South Africa must be seriously peeved and probably won't try again either. I can't see Japan, France or England being being awarded a tournament again so soon after hosting one.

So who does that realistically leave to host 2027?

It will have to go back to a country who has previously hosted it like Australia (assuming they are interested) or else pick a new host country which may have the stadia but will likely not have enough local interest to fill them.
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

The reality of today is that only the Rugby Championship teams voted for South Africa
This was nothing to do with the technical review it was about voting as a block
The 'Home' nations didn't do this and it gave the prize to France
If Scotland and Wales had voted for us we would have faced France in the second ballot
Then it would have been up to Australia NZ and Argentina to decide between us and France
My money would have been on us in that contest
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

kermischocolate wrote:Or, as per the BBC article already linked the SRU did exactly what they said from the very beginning- backed the bid that would guarantee most money to all World Rugby nations.

Claiming transparently that you're going to take the 32 pieces of sliver is still a betrayal. You need us more than we need you.
Anyone But New Zealand
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

nc6000 wrote:I think this is could be a bad result for World Rugby. It looks unlikely we'll bother trying again, South Africa must be seriously peeved and probably won't try again either. I can't see Japan, France or England being being awarded a tournament again so soon after hosting one.

It will have to go back to a country who has previously hosted it like Australia (assuming they are interested) or else pick a new host country which may have the stadia but will likely not have enough local interest to fill them.
If South Africa don't go for it, Argentina will get it. They have more than enough infrastructure to pull it off.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

CiaranIrl wrote:If South Africa don't go for it, Argentina will get it. They have more than enough infrastructure to pull it off.
Apparently South Africa have tried to get the last four, will they bother trying a fifth time? If Argentina do bid then it's hard to see there being much competition.

Where to for 2031, back to England or Australia?
kermischocolate
Mullet

dropkick wrote:

Judging by the Scottish vote it had nothing to do with technical details. If Qatar offered £1 more to play it on concrete slab pitches, they would have gotten the Scottish vote because the scots were going with the highest bidder.
And?
If Ireland want to host something of this magnitude the bid simply needs to be better. As does playing the game of politics.
kermischocolate
Mullet

nc6000 wrote:I think this is could be a bad result for World Rugby. It looks unlikely we'll bother trying again, South Africa must be seriously peeved and probably won't try again either. I can't see Japan, France or England being being awarded a tournament again so soon after hosting one.

Argentina.

Don't SA basically bid for every RWC as it is? Pretty sure very few countries bid for and are awarded tournaments of this size at the first attempt, never mind when there are serious flaws in the submitted bid.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

kermischocolate wrote:
dropkick wrote:

And?
If Ireland want to host something of this magnitude the bid simply needs to be better. As does playing the game of politics.
I can't fault our bid it acknowledged our gaps but showed how we'd deal with them. However when the technical level ranks security the same in Ireland as South Africa then yeah I think we're entitled to question the process, when the technical report is then ignored and votes go to the money yeah I think we're entitled to question the process, when our supposed domestic league partners don't support us I think we're entitled to question the process, when only a few years ago the tournament was held in stadia with grass stands and largest stadium under 50k then yes we're entitled to question the process, when it's awarded to a country who hosted it 10 years ago almost to the day then yes we're entitled to question the process
Dundalk 1
Bookworm

Post by Dundalk 1 »

kermischocolate wrote:
dropkick wrote:

And?

The politics failed with Scotland and Wales
However badly we feel about this betrayal in ROI can you imagine how the Ulstermen feel
Stabbed by their Scottish brothers