Paul Warwick

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

TrueBlue
Enlightened

Paul Warwick

Post by TrueBlue »

I though Warwick was good today for Connacht. Put him in a better team i.e. Munster and he could do well. His kicking form hand is good, and his distribution was very good today, with a lot of passes in front and flat-ish. Him going to Turnipstan might not be a bad thing...give ROG a good go for his spot, and he's nationalised next year too.

Impressive.
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

and he's nationalised next year too
He's played for the Aussie's 7's so i don't think he can play for Ireland
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

thecoofreak wrote:
i think u can play despite sevens caps. Didn't Steve Devine turn out for Australia 7's and then go on to be capped by th All Blacks
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Darce wrote:
thecoofreak wrote:
i think u can play despite sevens caps. Didn't Steve Devine turn out for Australia 7's and then go on to be capped by th All Blacks
Warwick can't play for us. They changed the criteria as to what is a disqualifying representative appearance, and put a cut-off date in place. Devine and Gleeson both played on one side of the date, but Warwick played on the other, disqualifying, side.
I have Bumbleflex
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Darce wrote:
thecoofreak wrote: He's played for the Aussie's 7's so i don't think he can play for Ireland
Warwick can't play for us. They changed the criteria as to what is a disqualifying representative appearance, and put a cut-off date in place. Devine and Gleeson both played on one side of the date, but Warwick played on the other, disqualifying, side.
This is my understanding too but one of the papers reported that he will be elligible. Aren't some 7s games exempt from this rule? Of course it's more likely that the paper got it wrong.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

CM wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Darce wrote: i think u can play despite sevens caps. Didn't Steve Devine turn out for Australia 7's and then go on to be capped by th All Blacks
This is my understanding too but one of the papers reported that he will be elligible. Aren't some 7s games exempt from this rule? Of course it's more likely that the paper got it wrong.
The papers may be confusing the fact that by the start of next season he won't be considered a foreign player as he will be a naturalised EU player...he will definitely not be available for Irish selection though
I have Bumbleflex
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

The papers may be confusing the fact that by the start of next season he won't be considered a foreign player as he will be a naturalised EU player...he will definitely not be available for Irish selection though
That could be it.
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Eh dont we own the IRB. Im sure we can arrange a rule change
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
TrueBlue
Enlightened

Post by TrueBlue »

Ive heard from two journalists that he eligable....one of them was Cronin i think, dunno the other...
Leinster-Heineken European Cup Champions 2007
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

TrueBlue wrote:Ive heard from two journalists that he eligable....one of them was Cronin i think, dunno the other...
Well that settles it. If Cronin says its so, it aint
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

The may have not noticed and posted it anyway, but my understanding is that he cannot qualify for us as playing for Australia Barbarians ('A' Side) or Sevens in an IRB sanctioned match or tournament disqualifies you automatically.
CELTIC LEAGUE: Sunday, March 5
Leinster 16 Connacht 13, Donnybrook (Att: 3,573)
Scorers: Leinster: Try: Felipe Contepomi; Con: Contepomi; Pens: Contepomi 3
Connacht: Try: Andrew Mailei; Con: Paul Warwick; Pens: Warwick 2

Leinster moved back up to third in the Celtic League as fly half and stand-in captain Felipe Contepomi converted his own 64th-minute try, adding to three earlier penalties, to help his side edge past the westerners.

But Michael Cheika's men were given a tough test by Connacht in their final competitive outing before the Heineken Cup quarter-final trip to Toulouse on April 1.

Helped by three penalties from the boot of number 10 Paul Warwick, Connacht made the hosts fight to the finish as Tongan bruiser Mailei bagged a 76th-minute try and only a botched lineout kept the westerners from adding to their tally in injury-time.

Connacht looked lively from the off – two early turnovers and a searing 20-metre break from young centre Keith Matthews confirmed their intentions.

Disappointingly, Matthews was forced off soon after through injury. Connacht lost their second centre John Hearty to a facial injury late in the first half, but they still held firm for a 6-3 lead at half time.

Australian fly half Warwick, who is Ireland-qualified in 15 months' time, swung over two penalties from the left and right on 12 and 24 minutes for a 6-0 lead.

Warwick then missed a third penalty shot on 28 minutes, and Leinster took a hold on possession for the remainder of the half. Only a spate of poor decision-making saw them fail to garner a try. Denis Hickie, who was making his 100th appearance for the province, Keith Gleeson and Contepomi were all swallowed up in possession when overlaps were visibly on.

Leinster missed a good chance in injury-time when they allowed Connacht captain Andrew Farley to steal a lineout, five metres from his own line. However, Contepomi kicked a subsequent penalty to reduce the gap to three.

Contepomi, the league's top scorer, added his second place kick, 12 minutes into the second half. A needless sin binning for prop Reggie Corrigan, who launched a fist at Farley at a ruck on the hour, lessened the Leinster charge but Contepomi touched down moments later.

Guy Easterby fed his skipper metres from the Connacht line, Contepomi slipped on the sand-laden surface but stepped inside the tackle of Darren Yapp and just got over under pressure from John Fogarty, He converted for 13-6.

Contepomi added a penalty to push his league tally to 201 points for the season. Nonetheless, Mailei crossed for his first league try after a brilliant break from the powerful Matt Mostyn. Warwick set up a dramatic finish with the conversion, but when Connacht opted to kick a penalty to touch rather then go for the posts and a draw, hooker Fogarty's throw was ruled crooked by referee Olan Trevor and Leinster supporters breathed a sigh of relief.

TIME LINE: 12 minutes – Connacht penalty: Paul Warwick – 0-3; 24 mins – Connacht penalty: Paul Warwick – 0-6; 40(+3) mins – Leinster penalty: Felipe Contepomi – 3-6; Half-time – Leinster 3 Connacht 6; 52 mins – Leinster penalty: Felipe Contepomi – 6-6; 60 mins – Leinster yellow card: Reggie Corrigan; 64 mins – Leinster try: Felipe Contepomi – 11-6; conversion: Felipe Contepomi – 13-6; 74 mins – Leinster penalty: Felipe Contepomi – 16-6; 76 mins – Connacht try: Andrew Mailei – 16-11; conversion: Paul Warwick – 16-13; Full-time – Leinster 16 Connacht 13

LEINSTER: Girvan Dempsey; Robert Kearney, Kieran Lewis, Jonny Hepworth, Denis Hickie; Felipe Contepomi (capt), Guy Easterby; Reggie Corrigan, Brian Blaney, Will Green, Cameron Jowitt, Bryce Williams, Eric Miller, Keith Gleeson, Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements used: Ben Gissing for Miller (half-time), Emmett Byrne for Jowitt (63-72 mins). Not used: Bernard Jackman, Adam Byrnes, Brian O'Riordan, Jonathan Sexton, Gary Brown.

CONNACHT: Mark McHugh; Darren Yapp, John Hearty, Keith Matthews, Matt Mostyn; Paul Warwick, Chris Keane; Ray Hogan, John Fogarty, Adrian Clarke, David Gannon, Andrew Farley (capt), John Muldoon, Brendan O’Connor, Colm Rigney.

Replacements used: David Slemen for Matthews (9 mins), Andrew Mailei for Hearty (39), Matt Lacey for O’Connor (47), Tom Tierney for Keane (68). Not used: Joe Merrigan, Dan McFarland, Christian Short.

Referee: Olan Trevor (Ireland)

Dave Cahill wrote:
CM wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote: Warwick can't play for us. They changed the criteria as to what is a disqualifying representative appearance, and put a cut-off date in place. Devine and Gleeson both played on one side of the date, but Warwick played on the other, disqualifying, side.