Ireland Women

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Amz
Mullet

Ireland Women

Post by Amz »

Ireland women have just beaten England 25 - 0 in Ashbourne.

Really historic win. First time to beat England. England also haven't failed to score in a game since 2004.
Last edited by Amz on February 10th, 2013, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland Womam

Post by Cianostays »

That's an amazing scoreline and really well done to the ladies for that performance. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I really hope this gets more attention than 2 mins on ATH on Monday.

Well done girls!
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Entire match was streamed live on IRFU site, expect they will do the same with the French match, girls really have gone up a gear from other years and England were totally blown away in all areas of the game, built up a nice score then just closed the game out with the aim of nilling them in the end rather than try for more points.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Amz wrote:Ireland women have just beaten England 25 - 0 in Ashbourne.

Really historic win. First time to beat England. England also haven't failed to score in a game since 2004.
I am literally gobsmacked by that scoreline. To beat England at all is some achievement but that score is astonishing!!!

:clap:
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Watched the second half on IRFU TV. Fantastic result, let's hope they can build on that.
A proud Winsome Fluter
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

England beat Scotland 76 - 0 last week. Puts it into context, great win
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Really well done!! :clap: :clap: :clap: English women teams seem to be bigger than most opposition and always scare me (well not personally :) ) more than their male equivalents. They looked very well drilled in the Rugby Club preview, and as I said .... BIG!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Terrific result but some context is needed. A number (not sure how many) of English 1st team are off playing 7s. Never the less a momentous result.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

TrapperChamonix wrote:Terrific result but some context is needed. A number (not sure how many) of English 1st team are off playing 7s. Never the less a momentous result.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21341167

''England - who have won the title for the past seven years and the Grand Slam for the past three - are fielding a second-string squad in the tournament.

England started the defence of their title with a 76-0 win over Scotland.

England have rested 17 front-line players for the Six Nations in order to concentrate on the Sevens World Cup in June.
And head coach Gary Street made eight changes, one positional, from the side that thumped Scotland last week.''

Great result after the win England had last week but should be taken in context. Hope the injured English player who was carried off is ok.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Re: Ireland Women

Post by rooster »

IanD wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:Terrific result but some context is needed. A number (not sure how many) of English 1st team are off playing 7s. Never the less a momentous result.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21341167

''England - who have won the title for the past seven years and the Grand Slam for the past three - are fielding a second-string squad in the tournament.

England started the defence of their title with a 76-0 win over Scotland.

England have rested 17 front-line players for the Six Nations in order to concentrate on the Sevens World Cup in June.
And head coach Gary Street made eight changes, one positional, from the side that thumped Scotland last week.''

Great result after the win England had last week but should be taken in context. Hope the injured English player who was carried off is ok.
On the other hand the English side had more combined caps than the Irish side, they also have a much larger pool to pick from.
Will be interesting to see what happens over the next few matches though as some of the best Irish girls will probably have to head for some sevens competition
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

rooster wrote: On the other hand the English side had more combined caps than the Irish side, they also have a much larger pool to pick from.
ROG has more caps than Sexton. Who would you want starting in Murrayfield?

When you rest 17 players that to me means you are picking a second string team. Make another 8 changes from the first match means you have a 2 and a half string team out.

My concern is that by not highlighting the massive changes the press are raising the public's expectations and should the team lose their may be a backlash of sorts. To me Womens Rugby has a chance to push on and having all the headlines are encouraging but expectations need to managed too.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

IanD wrote:
rooster wrote: On the other hand the English side had more combined caps than the Irish side, they also have a much larger pool to pick from.
ROG has more caps than Sexton. Who would you want starting in Murrayfield?

When you rest 17 players that to me means you are picking a second string team. Make another 8 changes from the first match means you have a 2 and a half string team out.

My concern is that by not highlighting the massive changes the press are raising the public's expectations and should the team lose their may be a backlash of sorts. To me Womens Rugby has a chance to push on and having all the headlines are encouraging but expectations need to managed too.
English side was not nearly as bad as you are making out, yes they missed a few star players but not all of those 17 would have been in the squad anyway.
Expectations certainly do need managed as I fear the Irish side could get decimated as there is a nothing 7's tournament in China and I expect some of the best to be taken out for it instead of competing with the realistic chance this year of a Grand slam, I hope I am wrong though in that gut feeling.
WD40
Beginner

Post by WD40 »

England had a collective amount of caps of over 500, with their strongest pack available, bit of a myth that they were light and to be honest I reckon if England had their best available the ladies still would have got a win. I just hope that D4 realise that this team could go the distance and is Taken seriously , I hear rumours that Ireland ladies may have some of their starting team removed to go and play 7's if true a disgrace, surely 7's should be about developing players not the reverse.
Penetrates and Lubricates
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

WD40 wrote:England had a collective amount of caps of over 500, with their strongest pack available, bit of a myth that they were light and to be honest I reckon if England had their best available the ladies still would have got a win. I just hope that D4 realise that this team could go the distance and is Taken seriously , I hear rumours that Ireland ladies may have some of their starting team removed to go and play 7's if true a disgrace, surely 7's should be about developing players not the reverse.
You must have been hearing what I was hearing, even worse when the 7's competition is really only a friendly type showcase which means nothing for rankings or qualification.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

Women lead Scotland 8-3 at half time. Sounds like a nervy first half from Ireland, maybe the occasion is/was getting to them a bit.

Next score could be crucial.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Scotland dominating the early exchanges and miss a pen. Still 8-3 but tense stuff for the Irish fans.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Scotland no 10 sin binned...Ireland pen on 22 by Briggs...Ireland lead 11-3
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

SW great run from Miller after good work from Briggs to make it 3-18 with con Briggs
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Donny B. wrote:SW great run from Miller after good work from Briggs to make it 3-18 with con Briggs
Fuppin Hell, championship minutes n'all that. Come on Ireland!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Try Fleimng. 25-3 up with less than 10 to go. Triple Crown in the bag!