The Ireland Depth Project. Pt 1 Front Row

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: The Ireland Depth Project. Pt 1 Front Row

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

No not for me Simon, I think that when a young player has his first proper season he shouldn't overdo it by playing in the summer as well.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples where it's has worked out when players have done it but I liked the decision to give Jackson a rest for the 2012 JWC and summer tours and have him well rested and raring to go at the start of the next season.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:No not for me Simon, I think that when a young player has his first proper season he shouldn't overdo it by playing in the summer as well.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples where it's has worked out when players have done it but I liked the decision to give Jackson a rest for the 2012 JWC and summer tours and have him well rested and raring to go at the start of the next season.
difference for me is Jackson played heaps but Mooradze still has low mileage (in rookie season)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Moore is sharing playing time with Ross, so the dangers of being overplayed are a little bit less.

International exposure might be useful for him, especially a tour to Argentina. His progression arc is such that the situation might have changed by the 6N so it's hard to plan too much. I'm not sure what date White qualifies, it's after June I thought.

At the moment, my instinct would be not to rest him, but there's a lot of rugby before now and then and he's trying to fight for a place. There's still Bent and Furlong to carry the load at the start of next season.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Richardt back training with the rest of the team, from the looks of things: http://www.sportsfile.com/id/820491/
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

All Blacks nil wrote:
Hookers falling by the wayside. Long term means will miss some or all of Six Nations.
Best- broken arm - long term absentee
Hmmm, perhaps not:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/25613961
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Best on the way back, will be involved at the weekend

Good to see Strauss back on the training field. Hope everything goes smoothly for him. Marcus Horan had a similar problem a few years back and thankfully everything worked out for him
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote:Richardt back training with the rest of the team, from the looks of things: http://www.sportsfile.com/id/820491/
As far as I'm aware Monday isn't a contact day though.

They are on astro in moulded studs and runners.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Without any in-depth knowledge on the subject, have been very impressed with Connacht scrum since the Toulouse away game. Classically they look low and tight with flankers scrummaging with real commitment. Wilkinson has looked the real deal as a LHP and White has given nothing to any opponent he has faced. Buckley and Ah You have also looked solid when they have come in.

Is Clarke working with Lam on their scrum? Waikato had a huge improvement in both set-pieces, scrum and line-out in past two seasons and it looks like he has brought same pattern to Connacht.

Great to see.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:No not for me Simon, I think that when a young player has his first proper season he shouldn't overdo it by playing in the summer as well.

difference for me is Jackson played heaps but Mooradze still has low mileage (in rookie season)
Could be wrong but don't think Jackson did play that much that season. It was only around the time of the HC semi that he became first choice iirc.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote:Moore is sharing playing time with Ross, so the dangers of being overplayed are a little bit less.

International exposure might be useful for him, especially a tour to Argentina. His progression arc is such that the situation might have changed by the 6N so it's hard to plan too much. I'm not sure what date White qualifies, it's after June I thought.

At the moment, my instinct would be not to rest him, but there's a lot of rugby before now and then and he's trying to fight for a place. There's still Bent and Furlong to carry the load at the start of next season.
It's as much a mental break as anything for me. I am saying I'd rest him on the basis that I'd pick him for the 6N but if he isn't involved then yeah I wouldn't be against him going to Argentina.

I can understand why you guys wouldn't rest him, it's not like I have any idea how he'll actually be feeling mentally and physically by the end of the season. I'm just conscious of young players doing too much too soon and think he's already done a lot in his first proper season and expect him to have played a lot of games by the time Leinster's season finishes.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
ronk wrote:Moore is sharing playing time with Ross, so the dangers of being overplayed are a little bit less.

It's as much a mental break as anything for me. I am saying I'd rest him on the basis that I'd pick him for the 6N but if he isn't involved then yeah I wouldn't be against him going to Argentina.

I can understand why you guys wouldn't rest him, it's not like I have any idea how he'll actually be feeling mentally and physically by the end of the season. I'm just conscious of young players doing too much too soon and think he's already done a lot in his first proper season and expect him to have played a lot of games by the time Leinster's season finishes.
A year out from the World Cup he's going to have his eye on a squad berth maybe more. With Ross, White, Fitzpatrick, Archer and maybe even Hagan all competing for a max 3 spaces, resting him wouldn't be doing him (or Ireland) any favours unless he's actually worn out.

From his perspective and the perspective of his career, he's going to want to be playing in Argentina and missing the start of Leinster's season if he needs a rest.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

All Blacks nil wrote:Best on the way back, will be involved at the weekend

Good to see Strauss back on the training field. Hope everything goes smoothly for him. Marcus Horan had a similar problem a few years back and thankfully everything worked out for him
Anyone remember Asa Hartford (West Brom Albion) who I believe was the first high profile professional sportsman to be diagnosed with this condition.
I seem to remember the condition was inoperable back then, but he carried on playing with no obvious problem.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:

A year out from the World Cup he's going to have his eye on a squad berth maybe more. With Ross, White, Fitzpatrick, Archer and maybe even Hagan all competing for a max 3 spaces, resting him wouldn't be doing him (or Ireland) any favours unless he's actually worn out.

From his perspective and the perspective of his career, he's going to want to be playing in Argentina and missing the start of Leinster's season if he needs a rest.
Moore probably has that 3rd spot just about nailed down right now, but out of sight and out of mind he could lose out if he doesn't get enough game time.
The summer tour is a difficult one in the sense that Ross needs to be kept busy but at the same time the next gen need to be brought thru. Think I'd give Ross the rest.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Oldschool wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:Best on the way back, will be involved at the weekend

Anyone remember Asa Hartford (West Brom Albion) who I believe was the first high profile professional sportsman to be diagnosed with this condition.
I seem to remember the condition was inoperable back then, but he carried on playing with no obvious problem.
I always remember as a young kid reading my Shoot magazine being fascinated by Asa Hartford's hole in the heart. It was discovered in a transfer medical and stopped the transfer going through.
Another thing I found medically fascinating at the time was the fashion at the time of players to keep their operated on knee cartilages in a little test-tube.
As I said earlier good to see Strauss on the mend and with less serious ailments the likes of Best, Murray,McFadden,Zebo etc back on the training pitches
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

It is a bit previous to be planning next seasons player rotation when next years squads are not finalised. Ulster have 2 international props to replace and might come sniffing south wards to replace one or both.
With many Irish or potential Irish international props not guaranteed starts I would imagine that the IRFU might actually encourage this.

Loose heads
At Leinster, Healy and McGrath
At Munster, Kilcoyne and Cronin

Tight heads
At Leinster, Ross, Moore and Bent
At Munster, Archer

Must not forget Connacht who are pretty well served at prop with Whyte, Wilkinson, Buckley and Ah You
Ulster already have Fitzpatrick at tighthead.

Don' t think the IRFU will be shelling out for 2 NIQ international class (possibly 1) props while all those guys are already contracted.
Certainly I can see one of the above mentioned loose heads joining Ulster next season.

Also cannot see HAGAN getting into the mix with the amount of home based talent available