The Ireland Depth Project. Pt 1 Front Row

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: The Ireland Depth Project. Pt 1 Front Row

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That all sounds good to me. I would like to have seen school's rugby mentioned, perhaps with a few to changing the laws there slightly, but it certainly sounds good from U-18 onwards.

I'd be wary of concentrating too much on the new laws defining what we need from our props though because the rules change all the time I.e. if there's a talented tighthead who is massive then I hope he isn't lost to the system/game in case the rules change again. Obviously choices need to be made and you can't plan for every eventuality but just hope we don't put all our eggs in one basket. Sounds like it's all in hand anyway.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That all sounds good to me. I would like to have seen school's rugby mentioned, perhaps with a few to changing the laws there slightly, but it certainly sounds good from U-18 onwards.

I'd be wary of concentrating too much on the new laws defining what we need from our props though because the rules change all the time I.e. if there's a talented tighthead who is massive then I hope he isn't lost to the system/game in case the rules change again. Obviously choices need to be made and you can't plan for every eventuality but just hope we don't put all our eggs in one basket. Sounds like it's all in hand anyway.
He's in Sale, mate.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Morf wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:That all sounds good to me. I would like to have seen school's rugby mentioned, perhaps with a few to changing the laws there slightly, but it certainly sounds good from U-18 onwards.

He's in Sale, mate.
:clap:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Mushy Buckley should have been a tighthead lock or even number 8. Too late now but I hope in future talent like that isn't wasted.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

dropkick wrote:Mushy Buckley should have been a tighthead lock or even number 8. Too late now but I hope in future talent like that isn't wasted.
That was kind of what I was thinking about on the other thread, mixed in with LRiPs point that the rules change. Mushy would have absolutey thrived s TH lock in the last few years but we had a strategy of one type of prop and one only.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Mushy @ 8?

He was too lazy for THP.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Too big. That and illness. We often criticise players workrate. It usually means we'd like them doing dirty work but these guys wouldn't be where they are unless they worked hard and hit as many rucks as they were told to.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

fourthirtythree wrote:Too big. That and illness. We often criticise players workrate. It usually means we'd like them doing dirty work but these guys wouldn't be where they are unless they worked hard and hit as many rucks as they were told to.
He has a great highlight reel but very few consistent performances in the scrum or otherwise.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

A question for the front row experts.
What is the feedback from players regarding the way of doing things.
Has life in the front row got easier or is it just different?
Are scrums safer now?
How do hookers feel about having to hook again?
How do scrum halves break the habit of a life time (ie - crooked feed)
Has the no 8 less or more time to pick up behind a struggling scrum?
Is the ball coming back slower/faster etc?
Do wing forwards still think (wrongly) that they DON'T have to shove and keep shoving on the opposition ball?
How are refs managing scrums?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

i find it very odd that james cronin was not called in to the irish training squad. surely he is the type of player that ireland should be looking to have involved in these camps. it would give him exposure to what the other lads do, and it would offer the coaches a closer look at him.
this is especially odd when healy is injured and court has all but ended his international career with his upcoming transfer.

these camps have traditionally been used to give promising players an opportunity of some exposure to what is expected of international players, to great effect.

does anyone have a list of players involved this time around?
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote:i find it very odd that james cronin was not called in to the irish training squad. surely he is the type of player that ireland should be looking to have involved in these camps. it would give him exposure to what the other lads do, and it would offer the coaches a closer look at him.
this is especially odd when healy is injured and court has all but ended his international career with his upcoming transfer.

these camps have traditionally been used to give promising players an opportunity of some exposure to what is expected of international players, to great effect.

does anyone have a list of players involved this time around?
Come in #1 your time is up.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

OS i would ask for an explanation, but i'm pretty sure even you would not be able to understand it.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

munster#1 wrote:OS i would ask for an explanation, but i'm pretty sure even you would not be able to understand it.
Munster

Don't take the bait. He is one of those ""alickadoos* who knows it all despite not knowing what "it" is.

Re Cronin
I think he will be selected in whatever squad is picked to train over the festive period especially with Cian Healy unavailable.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

To be fair M1 just turned up for a good old fashioned honest to god troll so whatever he gets back is what he's looking for.

Cronin looks to have a great future. We're rotten with good young looseheads at the moment.

EDIT
Only half watching the match but he looked to be doing a number on Connacht. Got himself a yellow card for being a bit of a tw@t though and Connacht are having a fine time on the Munster loosehead side now...
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote:OS i would ask for an explanation, but i'm pretty sure even you would not be able to understand it.
Many years ago, M1, before one as callow as yourself was born probably, there was a Butlin's Holiday Resort in Co. Louth.
There was an artificial lake on which punts (flat bottomed boats) were available for the youth of the day to mess about in.
Each boat had a number painted in large on both sides and so were readily identifiable.
Users (messers actually) were given a half an hour and when there time was up the supervisor, using a loudhailer, would shout the number of your boat when your time was up.
The phrase "Come in Number ??, your time is up" was used.
In relation to your good self, you were trolling and as we've already had some considerable discussion on the merits or otherwise of Munster props and a lot less discussion on the merits or otherwise of other (non Munster) props I figured "Your time was up".
As for you ABnil - Your instant aversion to the poster named OS is gratifying. You are a jumped up git! Your new year's resolutions should include "Buzzing off to some other MB". The irony of my nom de plume is wasted on such as yourself.
M#1 god bless him does at least have the virtue of bringing some humour to this MB from time to time and even occasionally some useful information.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Come in Oldschool , your time is up.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I think the Cronin for Ireland bandwagon will be towed back to its shed for a while yet after tonight. He was comprehensively disassembled by the Connacht front row, then when a decision actually went his way he got so carried away he ended up on the cathaoir dána
I have Bumbleflex
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Munster's tighthead John Ryan was destroyed tonight but Cronin held his side pretty well considering how outclassed Ryan was. Archer's ( I'm not a fan) presence steadied the ship and despite Munster playing their 4th and 5th choice hookers with zero first team starts between them, they were on comfortably on top in the final quarter.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:I think the Cronin for Ireland bandwagon will be towed back to its shed for a while yet after tonight. He was comprehensively disassembled by the Connacht front row, then when a decision actually went his way he got so carried away he ended up on the cathaoir dána
Comprehensively disassembled? were you watching a different game? we were not at our usual standards in the scrum, which is to be expected when you have a hooker making his 1st ever start at that level, after playing as a sub in his first ever appearance last weekend. And a th with just 3 starts to his name and just 1 first choice player behind him.

Sure you will have the odd idiot who slates a L/H over this, and who believes that patting a player on the back is grounds for a yellow, but hey you will always come across idiots no matter what happens.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

munster#1 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I think the Cronin for Ireland bandwagon will be towed back to its shed for a while yet after tonight. He was comprehensively disassembled by the Connacht front row, then when a decision actually went his way he got so carried away he ended up on the cathaoir dána
Comprehensively disassembled? were you watching a different game? we were not at our usual standards in the scrum, which is to be expected when you have a hooker making his 1st ever start at that level, after playing as a sub in his first ever appearance last weekend. And a th with just 3 starts to his name and just 1 first choice player behind him.

Sure you will have the odd idiot who slates a L/H over this, and who believes that patting a player on the back is grounds for a yellow, but hey you will always come across idiots no matter what happens.
He was dreadful. I've seen Stephen Archer play better. If he is, as you have claimed, at or near enough to international standard to train with the national squad, then he should have stood out amongst such callow company, he didn't, save for just how poor he was.

Kudos to Alan Rogan though, great to see a referee punish unsporting behaviour. Lets hope he's involved the next time Liam Williams takes the field.
I have Bumbleflex