The Ireland Depth Project. Pt 3 Back Row

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

johng
Gordon D'Arcy

The Ireland Depth Project. Pt 3 Back Row

Post by johng »

Not gone outside the Provinces for this one. We always seem to have plenty of back rowers esp 6s.

6 O'Mahony.....Henderson*.....McLaughlin.....Ruddock.....Muldoon.....Da O'Callaghan.....Diack.....Ferris**
7 O'Brien.....O'Donnell.....Henry.....Jennings.....Ronan.....Ryan.....Sean Doyle.....Dougall
8 Heaslip.....Coughlan.....Murphy.....Wilson.....McKeon.....Butler

*Also considered at lock.

** Pending storming return to fitness in time for the 6N :)
Last edited by johng on September 25th, 2013, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanD
Official Mascot

Re: The Ireland Depth Project. Pt 3 Back Row

Post by IanD »

Other than say Jonny Wilkinson can anyone provide an example of any top class rugby player coming back to play international rugby with all the injuries Ferris has had?
When fit he is world class but when does the time come when the IRFU/Ulster Rugby have to move on?
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Think SOB's primary position is 6 and wouldn't have any player in your lists who is long term injured or at least place them at the back of the queue even your order is not meant to be indicative.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Take both of your points on Ferris. If he is fit by Feb I would say he will walk back into the team.
That is an "IF" the size of Homer J Simpsons hairy yellow butt though.

Sob and which is his primary position is another matter. He was on the radio this morning saying that he played 8 from the age of 15 up till he started getting Leinster caps.

If you look at where he has started the vast majority of games for Leinster and Ireland I would say 7 is yerman.

He can play to international standard in all 3 positions. If david Pocock was IQ I might play him SOB at 6.

A fit Ferris, O'Brien and Heaslip is our best back row by a distance every day and twice on Sundays IMHO.
Last edited by johng on September 25th, 2013, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

PS. I started these threads because you asked me to OS. :)
Oldschool on the Leinster depth chart thread in July wrote:Johng!
I don't suppose you fancy putting together something similar for the AIs - At least 3 deep for ever position and bearing in mind what Joe's thinking might be.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

I'm not too optimistic about Ferris.

He seems to be doing publicity photos for Ulster Rugby but not really any word of a return.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

johng wrote:PS. I started these threads because you asked me to OS. :)
Oldschool on the Leinster depth chart thread in July wrote:Johng!
I don't suppose you fancy putting together something similar for the AIs - At least 3 deep for ever position and bearing in mind what Joe's thinking might be.
Seeing as how you're so compliant and I'm like a dog with a bone why not edit your original post and shove Ferris to the end.
And as it's your thread leave SOB as is.
PS - Great job so far!

Thanks for the edit BTW.
Last edited by Oldschool on September 25th, 2013, 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Morf wrote:I'm not too optimistic about Ferris.

He seems to be doing publicity photos for Ulster Rugby but not really any word of a return.
They did say Jan was the expectation when he signed a half season contract with Ulster.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

johng wrote:
Morf wrote:I'm not too optimistic about Ferris.

They did say Jan was the expectation when he signed a half season contract with Ulster.
Ah fair enough. Hadn't seen that at the time.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

with interchangeability and guys covering 2 or even 3 positions I think this one could have been non position specific eg if Heaslip injured I personally would doubt if Coughlan would come in

beyond Heaslip, SOB, POM, Ferris am not wild about any of those other guys starting for Ireland. Henderson and TOD could live with (to be harsh), although would like to see more of TODs breakdown work

is Jake Heenan IQ or just a project btw? was impressed with him
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:with interchangeability and guys covering 2 or even 3 positions I think this one could have been non position specific eg if Heaslip injured I personally would doubt if Coughlan would come in

beyond Heaslip, SOB, POM, Ferris am not wild about any of those other guys starting for Ireland. Henderson and TOD could live with (to be harsh), although would like to see more of TODs breakdown work

Kevin MCl is technically the best 6 in the 6 list. Henderson would be on my bench because he can play 6 and SR and is a great prospect.
By RWC 2015 Henderson will probably be one of the first choice SRs, injury permitting.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Oldschool wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:with interchangeability and guys covering 2 or even 3 positions I think this one could have been non position specific eg if Heaslip injured I personally would doubt if Coughlan would come in

Kevin MCl is technically the best 6 in the 6 list. Henderson would be on my bench because he can play 6 and SR and is a great prospect.
By RWC 2015 Henderson will probably be one of the first choice SRs, injury permitting.
would agree with you on Henderson moving into second row and its between him, McCarthy and Toner for 2 lock spots at RWC
but I would be more enthused about him starting for Ireland (with RWC in mind) than Locky

as an out and out 6 Locky is a good player but IMO he is not an international level player
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

No shame in that, see Jean Bouilhou formerly of Toulouse. Never really got a look in for France.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Morf wrote:No shame in that, see Jean Bouilhou formerly of Toulouse. Never really got a look in for France.
Jonno Gibbes too only got 8 caps :)
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Morf wrote:No shame in that, see Jean Bouilhou formerly of Toulouse. Never really got a look in for France.
Two of my favourite players actually! Gibbes would have been sensational in Europe if he'd moved up as a player.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Two of my favourite players actually! Gibbes would have been sensational in Europe if he'd moved up as a player.
He was being teed up for it by Cheika when the knee gave up and he came as a coach instead. IIRC.

We got Rocky at 6 so fair enough really.

He was on the bench for the ABs v the Lions in 05 too I seem to remember
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

he nearly did!!

http://www.espn.co.uk/scrum/rugby/story/64453.html

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... lt-2333107

then

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 982548.stm

and finally

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 141068.stm

Think we signed Tiatia instead so can't really complain, as for the Irish back row agree with the comments above Ferris SOB and Heaslip would be among the best back rows in world rugby.

Just a shame that we may never see all 3 together again