Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

O'Connell is key, says O'Driscoll

Post by Flash Gordon »

O'Connell is key, says O'Driscoll

O'Connell (centre) is a towering presence for Ireland
Ireland captain Brian O'Driscoll says lock Paul O'Connell's fitness could prove the decisive factor in Saturday's game with Scotland at Lansdowne Road.
A shoulder injury kept him out of the Wales game and coach Eddie O'Sullivan has delayed naming the team to face Scotland to give him time to recover.

"When he's in the team, you look forward to playing," said O'Driscoll.

"He brings an extra dimension and has a never-say-die attitude. Other players adopt it when they're in his presence."

O'Connell and O'Driscoll are familiar faces in a line-up that has undergone a lot of changes in the last year, and O'Sullivan admitted the Ireland team was far from the finished article.

"I said at the start of the year we had a tough schedule and we had a transitional side, so it's work in progress," he said.

"I don't think any team has really fired so far, except Scotland, who have really surprised a lot of people - every team seems to be a work in progress.

"The Six Nations is very important so we're not taking any risks we don't need. About half the team is changed since last year, and our game has changed - that's part of moving forward."
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Interesting to hear Drico playing down our chances and attempting to lower expectations......

Also, i'm sure this isn't the way he meant it, but if was Mal reading this article I'd be a bit put out...... :?
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Flash Gordon wrote:Interesting to hear Drico playing down our chances and attempting to lower expectations......

Also, i'm sure this isn't the way he meant it, but if was Mal reading this article I'd be a bit put out...... :?
Well I saw some other comments today where he was very enthusiastic about this weekend's game, stating that we're going to try and attack quite a bit and that they expect everything to click.

Don't know about Mal being put out. POC is a different type of player and Mal wouldn't disagree so POC being back does add the extra dimension in a different way to what Mal offers. It'll be interesting to see who's picked. I think it might be DOC actually. EOS is cutting away the 'deadweight' and while Mal certainly can't be described as that EOS may feel that his earlier performances are an indicator that he may not be first choice next season. With the two so close I expect the call to go to the younger guy. Tough on Mal but it does bring a better balance to our 2nd row.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Yeah, have to admit Iwas slightly surprised to hear the captain talking about this being a transition year etc.......the clear expectation is that we should beat Scotland at home, no other result is really acceptable. They are lower than us in the rankings, we stuffed them last year and we are at home with a full panel from which to select.

I thought Mal had an oustanding game against Wales - he actually lead the tackle count for example. One of his best games in a long time. DOc for me has shown little consistent form - he was very average for the Lions, and a poor first half of the season for Tunripstan (he was dropped for the Leinster game of course) and I thought his performance against Wales was 6/10 to be honest.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Flash Gordon wrote:Yeah, have to admit Iwas slightly surprised to hear the captain talking about this being a transition year etc.......the clear expectation is that we should beat Scotland at home, no other result is really acceptable. They are lower than us in the rankings, we stuffed them last year and we are at home with a full panel from which to select.

I thought Mal had an oustanding game against Wales - he actually lead the tackle count for example. One of his best games in a long time. DOc for me has shown little consistent form - he was very average for the Lions, and a poor first half of the season for Tunripstan (he was dropped for the Leinster game of course) and I thought his performance against Wales was 6/10 to be honest.
Flash, I hear what you're saying. I just think that for DOC to realise his potential (which he clearly has) he needs to start playing for us. There's no guarantee that Mal will be able to perform at the top level next year. Don't forget he made his international debut in 97 and 10 years is a long time for an international career (you can't simply look at age). I also think that DOC brings more balance to our scrum and lineout.

Anyway, it's a good headache to have.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

My money is on POC and DOC to start. Mick O Driscoll on the bench.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

sewa wrote:My money is on POC and DOC to start. Mick O Driscoll on the bench.

what a surprise........
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Back under your rock. Thank you.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

A fool and his money...
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Thought you'd like it. Glad to be of service.